Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester Automatic
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I got a nail in one tire, too far on the side so it can not be patched. Not sure the mileage nor do I know how far they went down. I brought it to a tire place and they said they could not do just the one. I had them for just over a year now (as of Feb.) so they are still very good. My repairman and another tire place didn't say anything about replacing all four, but they couldn't even buy that specific tire, so I think they just did not get that far.

What is the general rule of thumb?

Now, on the contrary, what is a good tire for high mileage (I drive a lot for my work) that would work on the Subaru? I am looking for basically the best price without skimping on the tires.

Thank you.

·
Banned
2000 Forester L
315 Posts
This is relevant to my interests. I noticed a cut in my sidewall this weekend. I am unsure if it is failed vandalism or debris damage from playing. It holds air but, I don't really trust it on the highway.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
If it can't be patched, replace all four, or have a single new tire shaved to match the rolling circumference of the older ones.

·
Registered
2008 2.5x ll beaner
632 Posts
Dudes, I would say plug that sucker! Too far in to repair? What? Maybe I don't know (steelbelt) but wouldn't you just either push the nail through and patch it?

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
Dudes, I would say plug that sucker! Too far in to repair? What? Maybe I don't know (steelbelt) but wouldn't you just either push the nail through and patch it?
rule of tumb is if it is 1" or closer to the sidewall you cant patch it, could you patch it? yes, is it in anyway safe? no

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
^^I think he meant it's too close to the sidewall. A lot of tire repair shops won't repair it if it's too close. That being said, I had one plugged right on edge, the tire shop wouldn't charge me to do it because of liability, but they allowed me to "tip" the employee to plug it and it was fine for a long time. I just put that tire on the back in case...

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
This is relevant to my interests. I noticed a cut in my sidewall this weekend. I am unsure if it is failed vandalism or debris damage from playing. It holds air but, I don't really trust it on the highway.
That blows (no pun intended). Is the cut small? If not, it looks like you're replacing all four or shaving a tire.

Don't mess with sidewalls...they're the weakest part of the tire.

·
Registered
2008 2.5x ll beaner
632 Posts
I hear ya about being to far in, like to the sidewall..I think that's where the nail is..Yeah, then like the above mentioned replace all four. BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

·
Registered
2006 forester xt 5speed
836 Posts
got a pic of the other 3, how much tread is left?

·
Registered
2011 Forester X AT
4,235 Posts
Order a shaved tire from tirerack. This is the reason they offer shaving service. Far cheaper than buying 4 new tires. The joy of AWD egh?

I have BF goodrich traction T/A's and like them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
At 6.2K miles I picked up a large nail stuck into the sidewall of my stock B'stone H/T Dueler 867 on my '09. A Subaru dealership replaced it with a tire that says B'stone H/T Dueler 854 on the side. Now at 10.9 K miles and running OK.
Anyone know what the difference in numbers mean?

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
how about putting a tube in that tire to run it out I've done that in the past
Against the law? At least the cop that gave me a ticket for tubed tires on a dunebuggy told me so.:icon_frown:

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
How would a cop know if you had tubed tyres?

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
Go to ebay or craigslist and look for a set of lightly used tires. Significantly cheaper than buying new, but make sure they still have decent tread left.

·
Registered
2004 Forester Automatic
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, my buddy can get junkyard tires. I will look on craigslist.

I called a few places, and no one knows where to get the tire shaved... where can this be done?

Also if I get tires from online like craigs, what would the price run to get the tires installed?

I was also told form a tire place, that as long as they are not too warn, I can replace a set of tires vs. all four. Is this bad to do on the forester?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts