Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not happy. Bought two front tyres six months ago and now one has a nail in it, too close to the sidewall to be repaired. Off to Scotland in a week so must get it replaced. :icon_frown:

On the plus side, I had the other tyres inspected and the rears have nearly half their original tread left after 34,000 miles!

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Know how you feel... Had 2 at the same time... still good excuse to get some new rubber on the rims I bought ages ago!

34k miles and you're only part way through a set of rears? You must drive like a saint or go everywhere in a straight line! ;o)

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,623 Posts
I realize this is the international forum. But in general you must replace all 4 tires at one time.

·
Registered
2005 2.0XT Auto
461 Posts
Know how you feel... Had 2 at the same time... still good excuse to get some new rubber on the rims I bought ages ago!

34k miles and you're only part way through a set of rears? You must drive like a saint or go everywhere in a straight line! ;o)

Non turbo... you've gotta love those NA engines.

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
I had the same on a Punto GT once. Just got the tyre place to put a rubber plug in. then reinflate and check pressure often for first 48 hours...?? or has that been made illegal as well??

don't think you need to replace all 4 at once in the UK. my tyre guy said you can put what you want on watever corner whenever you want. but he could have been winding me up.

mike

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,906 Posts
Tyre repairs to BSAU159f:1990

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,906 Posts
From a UK Owners Manual.................

Mike, do you not rotate your tyres at each service?

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, this one was definitely in the Do Not Repair area.

I don't consider my driving to be particularly saintly, and I often drive on rough tracks so I was very surprised by the lack of wear on the rears.

BTW these are the much-maligned Geolanders (great in the snow) :biggrin:

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike, do you not rotate your tyres at each service?
I'm ashamed to say that I don't know :icon_redface:

I have the car serviced at the local Subaru dealer so I'll have to ask them ...

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
BTW these are the much-maligned Geolanders (great in the snow) :biggrin:
With you on that one... I was quite impressed with them in the snow too - started to get shocking again once it started warming up though! ;o)

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,906 Posts
I'm ashamed to say that I don't know :icon_redface:

I have the car serviced at the local Subaru dealer so I'll have to ask them ...
Given that the fronts wore out before the rears I would guess not. If they had been regularly rotating front to back you would have ended up with even tread wear on all four.

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Given that the fronts wore out before the rears I would guess not. If they had been regularly rotating front to back you would have ended up with even tread wear on all four.
Actually, the tread wear was pretty similar on all four, but the fronts wore down at the edges due to me not noticing the tracking was out. :icon_rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts