Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 X
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an incredibly clean and rust free running driving 08 X. I plan on re shelling it with an XT's guts. My question is what is required to swap over just to make the car run and drive. Again I am starting with a running driving 08 X. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 EJ20K Forester
326 Posts
I did one gen earlier than that, and you need entire drivetrain including subframe, engine harness, and a portion of the cab harness. I run two ECU's on mine because I didn't want to figure out 100% of the conversion, I only had to splice the things that connect the engine/ECU to the rest of the car, tacho/speedo/fuel pump/AC/ etc.

·
Registered
2008 X
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I have the car, I work at the family shop and I can get my hands on a running driving wrecked xt. We have the resources and are willing to put in the time and work. I just need to know what is required to make the turbo motor run and drive.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 EJ20K Forester
326 Posts
I agree it isn't worth it if you are under the notion you can re-sell it and make a buck or something. I spent 3 months doing it and the only reason I finished it was because I enjoy that sort of thing. Sounds like we're the same that way. I will drive this thing until the motor kicks the can.

Since most people have the "not worth it" attitude, you should prepare yourself to figure a lot of it out on your own. You'll want engine and body wiring schematics for both cars, and the stuff I mentioned above. Subaru is often compared to lego... you should be able to bolt just about any combination of parts together. The only surprise for me was the subframe (and be extension the swaybar, which might mean you don't have any end-links that will work). Doublecheck your driveshaft and axles are the same length.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,739 Posts
@BartFubbles nothing wrong with wanting to do this. I always say anything is possible if you have the time, skills & endless supply of money! :icon_eek:

From what I've read, you will need to place your donor vehicle & your present vehicle side by side. Then you start swapping the parts.

You will run into problems that you will have to figure out on your own.

Of course you will need a spare vehicle, as you ride will be unusable for a long time!

Good luck with your project & you might consider starting one of these to document your journey: Members' Journal :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts