Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a freind with a standard non turbo Impreza, he wants to replace the ECU. Anyone know anything about this? He says it's a twin cam as opposed to a quad cam. I have advised to get a remap. What power gains could be had from this?

·
Registered
97 JDM S/tb Manual
1,570 Posts
Ye god that will be the 1.6, 90 BHP model.

Just no point tunning it. A remap (if the ECU can be mapped) will give bugger all power gain. Best off flogging it and buying a 2.0 Sport (or a turbo)

·
Registered
2000 Forester S Turbo Manual
930 Posts
Why does he want to replace the ECU? If its faulty, go for the same one model ECU as a replacement.
If its for modifications, it'll really would be a lot of money for not a lot of extra power.
What year is it, 99/00 ECU is mappable, but as mentione dprobably not worth it.
And as far as I know, they are all quad cams.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
agree with mark, one of my friends had one of these and she said it wasnt powerful enough to pull the skin of rice pudding! She tried modding it but to no avail. In the end she got rid for a turbo.

Even if you make the gasses more free flowing and CAN get it remapped i'd say you still wouldnt see 100bhp. Only way to make that go faster is to loose weight.

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
wife has the 2.0 sport and its an auto so in no way can it be considered fast

from a standing start to the same point in the road it will do 55 compared to the stb 80

however it handles and brakes like a good un

waste of time "tuning" stick bigger wheels and brakes on it

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Nearly all Impreza N/A are twin (as in SOHC/bank) cam, all 2.0 sports for example, in fact the only classic Impreza quad cams are the turbo's.

Give away http://opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/en_g10/

In the US they are running NA 2.0's and 2.5's at over 200bhp, but its a LOT of work.....

Simon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts