Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Kevin said:
Thanks Peter - that is a useful reference to have back up here.
No problem Kevin, I keep it up to date and the figures are from the day I bought the Forester, unfortunately I have lost one receipt (recently) and had no idea how much or what brand was in it when we got it. We were too busy enjoying the ride home and fiddling with the knobs etc. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited: Guess what I found in the glovebox today......yep! te missing receipt, now my MPG file is complete once again.

·
Registered
2005 XS
7 Posts
Thanks Peter for this - great help for us "first timers" to Foresters. I am suprised how thirsty our XS is.

One thing I can quickly see from your spreadsheet is that by using Vortex (95 RON?) you are acheiving much better fuel economy-even compared to other premium fuels.

Am using 91 RON at the moment and have found the XS to be pinging quite often and it seems the knock sensor does not advance the ignition quick enough. I think the benefit of better fuel economy by using the 95 RON is far out weighed by the possible damage and cheaper cost of using 91 RON.

Cheers!
Stu :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2006 Forester
662 Posts
Wow, a man of my own diligence, for I too have kept a complete and concise MPG log since I've owned my NA Forester. I keep a notebook in my glove compartment within which I make all my fuel-up notes, and I have an Excel spreadsheet at work with which I use to keep an "MPG vs. Time" Graph showing the ups and downs of my fuel economy throughout the seasons. I'll have to post the graph when I can.

I don't have Excel on my home PC so I just may use your spreadsheet for my personal computer, Casper. Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi guys,

I've been AWOL from the forums for a while, but thought I'd post my fuel spreadsheet for anyone who is interested. I didn't have my XS MY06 Foz for afew months for personal reasons but have adjusted the figures for my average weekly kms etc for the periods when I have had the car in my car (either with my partner or as now, by myself).

I've figured out that using Shell with the standard 10c/L price difference between ULP and V-Power, and based on the prices up to about $1.50 (thankfully we aren't there yet!) you only need ot get around 0.7L/100k better consumption from using the premium fuel to be ahead in the hip pocket. This doesn't take into account any reported benefits in terms of less deposits in the engine etc (of which there are conflicting views everwhere).

From what everyone else has said from the USA and Australia I think my fuel consumption is some of the best around so no complaints from me!

Apologies for the crap formatting of the CSV file. I have it in Excel but XLS files aren't supported by the forum, so it strips the formatting. I'll look at putting it online somewhere in the comign months as part of something else I am working on, and then provide a link.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 LL Bean Forester
10 Posts
Fuel log

Good info.

Not real happy with mine, hope it gets better with more break in. Still short so I pasted it. Columns got a little off but you can see.....

Subaru Forester 2007 LL bean NA auto

Tank no. miles gals mpg %highway highway miles city miles

1 263 9.76 26.95 65% 171.0 92.1
2 276.1 11.036 25.02 63% 173.9 102.2
3 271.5 12.168 22.31 0% 0.0 271.5
4 280.7 12.199 23.01 0% 0.0 280.7
5 236.5 10.851 21.80 0% 0.0 236.5
6 222 9.486 23.40 64% 142.1 79.9
7 255.7 11.305 22.62 31% 79.3 176.4
8 530.7 24.486 21.67 0% 0.0 530.7 two tanks
9 314.2 13.633 23.05 21% 66.0 248.2

2650.4 114.924 23.06 632.2 2018.2
24% 76%

·
Administrator
16,379 Posts
My fuel consumption seems to be more than other NAs here - and I 'm wondering if you need to adjust for speedo error, i.e. if your speedo is reading, say, 5% less than actual speed does it also affect the odometer in that you have actually travelled 5% less?

Due to different wheels & tyres my speedo and odometer now read almost true; 102 on the speedo = 100 klm/hr actual. (Also interesting that the Scanguage reads true, so the ECU knows the correct speed but the speedo doesn't!)

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
I have an 07 XT manual which has now done a bit over 13 000 km and I have achieved a worst of 9.4 km/L (due to a fair bit of short trips around town) to a best of 12.2 km/L doing slower running on dirt roads. I get about 11 km/L doing easy cruising around 110 km/h. That is without adjusting the optimistic odo which I found was 3% out using a Garmin sat nav the other day. Strange too that the speedo was more optimistic than that - 100km/h indicated being a real 93 km/h. I assume all Foresters (all Subarus?) are similar?

·
Registered
MY07 X Luxury M/T
2 Posts
Hi there, only owned a MY07 for a few months, but have already changed the wife over to using 98 octane...getting better than 10L/100km in suburban driving, and will run a logbook during our longer trips. Do we have a forum here for sand driving? I've done some but only in a 4WD bushfire tanker, and planning on taking the Subarb to Moreton Island next month.

Mark

·
Registered
MY07 X Luxury M/T
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzla
I assume all Foresters (all Subarus?) are similar?

I noticed that too...the Foresters speedo showed more error V satnav than any of my other cars. (also with Garmin Nuvi)

·
Registered
2007 X Premium MT
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzla
I assume all Foresters (all Subarus?) are similar?

I noticed that too...the Foresters speedo showed more error V satnav than any of my other cars. (also with Garmin Nuvi)
Every car I've bought in the last 20 years indicates a higher speed than actual on the speedometer. That's a good thing.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
... I too have kept a complete and concise MPG log since I've owned my NA Forester.... and I have an Excel spreadsheet... showing the ups and downs of my fuel economy throughout the seasons....
Same here, an Excel spreadsheet showing the mpg for my Scion xB:
http://aatherton06.home.insightbb.com/Scion_xB/xB_MPG.htm

For the past day I have rented an MY07 X 4EAT just to see how it handled, and whether the automatic was "fast" enough for me. I went 150 miles divided between 2-lanes and Interstate, driving hard and fast, using passing gear a lot. I was amazed that it filled up with 6.9 gallons = 24.5 mpg.

If the Scion had been trying to keep up, it's mileage would have been only a couple of mpg better.

·
Registered
98 forester S
17 Posts
so just wondering, i have a 98' forester. and am lucky to get 21 mpg. i've rebuilt the engine. and gave it an alignment and new tires everything like that, and it still doesnt seem to do anything.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i
184 Posts
so just wondering, i have a 98' forester. and am lucky to get 21 mpg. i've rebuilt the engine. and gave it an alignment and new tires everything like that, and it still doesnt seem to do anything.
That sounds like my Legacy GT but it's more like 19-20MPG for it. In our 02 Forester, the gas mileage isn't so great either but then again it's winter time so wait till they change the winter gas and see if mileage improves. You may want to change out other items like air filter, spark plugs, fuel filter and anything else that hasn't been changed out in a while if they need to be changed.

Driving conditions play a big role, since it's winter time do you warm up your car or sit in traffic, etc. If you're stuck in traffic or drive a lot of local roads don't expect great mileage.

·
Registered
98 forester S
17 Posts
That sounds like my Legacy GT but it's more like 19-20MPG for it. In our 02 Forester, the gas mileage isn't so great either but then again it's winter time so wait till they change the winter gas and see if mileage improves. You may want to change out other items like air filter, spark plugs, fuel filter and anything else that hasn't been changed out in a while if they need to be changed.

Driving conditions play a big role, since it's winter time do you warm up your car or sit in traffic, etc. If you're stuck in traffic or drive a lot of local roads don't expect great mileage.
well i've had the engine reworked. i had a cam keeper break. so i had to replace that, and while that was done i got all new gaskets, spark plugs, tune up. everything like that, i should look at my fuel filter though, i changed my air filter just before winter. my driving conditions consist of a daily commute over snoqualmie pass. 120 something total miles a day to and from work. and then play miles whenever. but ya ever since i got the car back in july i've been getting the same gas mileage. but i do work in bellevue, so traffic is never great going home.

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5XT
8 Posts
I have been keeping notes for my 2007 XT with AT. I am getting about 20 mpg driving around the Chicago suburbs.

I always use 93 octane, but I am not brand loyal.

I have posted the details if you are interested.
http://www.icode6.net/don/forester/forester_gasoline.xls

Maybe I drive a little too aggressively, but I have been pretty disappointed with my gas mileage. She sure is fun to drive though!

1 - 20 of 94 Posts