Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
04 FXT
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here, but I've been searching/reading for some time. I put my deposit down Saturday and will be taking delivery tomorrow or Wednesday. 04 FXT in red, non-premium, 74k on the clock, all service up to date at the dealership, 11,900 OTD. We've been looking off and on for about a year now for a good deal on an FXT and this is as good as we've found. Then again, we're super picky about our vehicles. I prefer black, but the red w/tint is growing on me.

I inquired about the "Union Bolt" or "Banjo Bolt" TSB's while the dealer is prepping the vehicle for us. Otherwise I'm looking forward to trying to solve the puzzle of which intake will not affect idle adversely and which up-pipe will give me the least trouble on install as they will be my first mods.

Looking forward to contributing to the various fora here as I am able.

Cheers

Tony

Attachments

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,755 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Congratulations on the new Forester! Looks like a nice one. Thanks for posting a picture. :wink:

Curious... can't really see on the picture, but you say the scoop is silver? Is it the stock size scoop or the taller STi upgrade? :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,824 Posts
Welcome, glad to see your patience has been rewarded.

Any chance of posting a pic of the scoop. Odd if it is just a repaint of the original scoop, but maybe the previous owner thought he needed to show off his scoop to everyone, still a red scoop would be more subtle. Oh well as you said, maybe that's your first mod.

Tony you can also add some vehicle info to your Signature that way it'll show up every time you post, making model specific responses easier for everyone. Just use the pull-down menu in Quick Links, Edit Signature and add info like year/model/transmission and your good to go.

Enjoy your time here
Cheers

·
Registered
04 FXT
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome :icon_biggrin: It appears that the stock red scoop was replaced by a stock silver scoop. I'd have to do some real digging to find the original owner and ask him/her why it was switched. Easy to imagine a multitude of scenarios where a scoop gets messed up and replaced.

I am trying to not jinx myself by posting the car specs in my sig too soon. I've bought far too many cars to get over confident now. I've had dealers pull so many last minute tricks that I've had to walk away from the deal on principle. Hopefully this dealer is solid. They appear to be so.

This isn't our first subie. We had an outback wagon for some time and were heartbroken when at just under 200k we had to part with it. We didn't want to, but the repair bill exceeded it's value so we bought a Jeep :puke:

We hope to have that mistake rectified quickly.

So, for you '04 owners, what's the safest intake to buy for this little beasty?

T

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,755 Posts
If the scoop is stock & you're thinking about having it painted to match the hood ($100+), perhaps this would be a great time to consider an STi scoop. You can view my installation write up here. :wink:

If you're going to be doing some MODding, make sure you start your own Member Journal before you get too far along. :smile:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
04 FXT
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So after almost 2 weeks of waiting for the old bank to clear the title, the dealer finally did their pre-delivery work, along with a new set of brake rotors at my insistence. Later today we get to go do a final test drive/inspection before signing off and taking delivery of our 04 FXT. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO psyched now :)

So, are there any little things we should be looking at in terms of pre-delivery on the aforementioned vehicle? I already did a thorough test drive and the car pulled strong, even on a long uphill pull. Handling was crisp (much to the chagrin of the sales dude, hah). Our only complaint was the soft brakes.

Once we own it we need an intake, up-pipe, and a catted downpipe and a single gauge panel from Subtle for a boost gauge. Oh, and we iwill need ASAP a red hood scoop. I still haven't gotten a good explanation of how our red FXT ended up with a silver scoop.

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts