Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo 5MT
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what the switches down below the steering wheel and next to the drivers door are please. One is for the fog lights but there are two more. One of them has a light type symbol and the other one has a windscreen wiper and heater element symbol together. Also, under the stereo there are a couple of controls - one is to wash the lights I think but as my washers are busted, I don't know. One of the remaining two is the headlight level adjuster for when towing or under heavy load. The third one is what has me stumped, it says bright on one side. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,821 Posts
Your questions are very specific to the Foresters made for your local market, so I'm going to move this to the Europe Forum.

Of the switches that you describe, the only one that seems to match US models is the one that "has a windscreen wiper and heater element symbol together." That should be for a heating element built into the lower part of the windshield. It helps melt ice that might make the wipers stick.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
Without pics it's a bit difficult but I think I can guess here. on the side where you got the fog light button. As you say there are two more buttons. one for the heat in the bottom of the windscreen as been mentioned and the other one is actually for your rear foglight. It's how it is on my car anyway. On the other side where you got a button called bright. Mine is broken so I never used it but. As far as I have understood it. The only thing it does it controlling how bright the clock should be.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
To reinforce the above...

To the right of the wheel is front and rear fogs (front fogs have the light 'beam' angled down, rears they are horizontal as per industry standard) and the heater for the wiper area of the screen.

Bright brightens the clock back to daylight lighting (it dims with lights on) so you can read it on foggy days (or otherwise when you have lights on but its not actually dark).

Simon

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,158 Posts
Bright brightens the clock back to daylight lighting (it dims with lights on) so you can read it on foggy days (or otherwise when you have lights on but its not actually dark).

Simon
I was thinking that but is that where the "bright" button is though..? Mine is on the top of the steering column trim.

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,158 Posts
Hope this is a windup Rich :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Option 1:
if the above sounds totally stupid then yeah it's a total windup :biggrin:

Option2:
as the FSTI "bright" switch is in the location I specified above I can only assume that the S-TB switch is in one of the locations metioned by the OP and not where the FSTI switch is.

:Banane17:

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,564 Posts

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,158 Posts
Rich,

The OP's is a MY99 UK S turbo and so the "bright" switch is in the centre console under the radio.
thought that must be the case but was just checking that we weren't getting confused with switch locations.

MY06 FSTI

ps. sorry I am confusing things - the 06 FSTI doesn't have a bright switch. I always assumed that the bright switch on older models was where my parking light button is.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo 5MT
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dumbo

Thanks guys, I am a dumbass I guess. When I was younger I could work anything out just by looking at it but as I get older I need the instructions and as most of you know, getting any literature for a Foz is really difficult. The heated lower windscreen is a nice touch and I didn't even notice the elements till you pointed it out, and that was the mystery (to me anyway) switch. The bright switch for the clock answers another question as to why the clock is so dim during the day and it seems like an odd place to put the control but such is the eccentricity that makes Subaru owners love their cars.

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,158 Posts
On the FSTI the heated windscreen button also switches on the heating element in the side mirrors too. Don't know whether that's the same on S-TBs though...? But yeah the windscreen thing is a bit random !! Makes it more "fun" if you need to replace it though....

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
On my 99S-turbo its the heated rear windo that turns on the heated mirrors....I expect STB/TTB will be the same!

My Foz came with all the original documentation including the owners manual in the glovebox, very useful, I also got the original sales literature courtesy of ebay, again pretty useful!

Simon

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
On my 99S-turbo its the heated rear windo that turns on the heated mirrors....I expect STB/TTB will be the same!

My Foz came with all the original documentation including the owners manual in the glovebox, very useful, I also got the original sales literature courtesy of ebay, again pretty useful!

Simon
the same on my foz. I think they changed it on later models tho.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts