1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Prem.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please go on youtube and search for:

'10 Subaru Forester Challenge Mystery Engine Noise/Squeal

(I cant post the link since I'm a new member)

Any help would be appreciated!

PS I have the old parts the mechanic replaced, and compared them with pics of the new ones, so I know he truly did change the timing belt, and water pump and pulleys.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester 5 Speed Manual
36 Posts
The knocking sound sounds like rod knock (it looks like it’s increasing together with the rpm) but the squeal I’ve got no idea, it could be an accessory belt slipping. Are the sounds always there? Independent of rpm and engine/outside temps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Prem.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually didn't notice any knocking, I'll have to listen again...

The squeaking is always there within that rpm range, regardless of weather or engine temp.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hmmm...i was in a noisy store, it might be only the boxer sound, do you have unequal length headers? (Maybe it’s just my paranoia that hears stuff) does it change if you turn the steering wheel? Does you ac compressed work ok?

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Prem.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Engine is stock from the factory, so no idea about headers.

Still makes same sound (as long as I am within that rpm range) when turning the steering wheel.

AC compressor works fine, I changed the pulley thinking that was it, along with the drive belts to the Continental quiet ones.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Prem.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it at all possible the crank pulley (harmonic balancer) that is making this noise? I can only think that it's the only remaining moving part, but I'd rather not replace a $150 part and then not solve the problem....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Maybe it would be a good idea to take the timing belt cover off and listen to the different pulleys and moving parts, hopefully you can locate the noise maker.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
1,000 Posts
how about removing the drivers side T-belt cover and inspecting the belt. If you pulled both drive belts and it's making this noise, my guess is that the timing belt rubbing the cover, or the mechanic used cheapo pulleys and one of them is going. Either way, you're doing a T-belt job to figure it out.

As for the harmonic balancer, I have seen some delaminate, but i think it'd be fairly apparent if it were doing this.

I would not be driving this car.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Prem.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took my Crank pulley (harmonic balancer) off and noticed the key looks like it's only 1/4 of the size it should be.

I wasn't able to locate a pic, so I'm not sure if this should be a concern.

Any opinions?

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Prem.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PROBLEM SOLVED

I took the car to the only Subaru Expert I could find near NYC

Larsen Autoworks in Patchogue, NY.

They fixed it in no time at all, and saved me a ton of money.

It was the heat shield which mimicked the sound of a squeal. (I couldn't believe it, but I'm happy it wasn't anything major)

My local mechanic as well as the dealership could not figure it out. In fact the dealership wanted to charge me to do the timing belt kit, which I just did, only because the parts were not "Genuine" Subaru.

I would recommend taking your car to Larsen Autoworks if you need anything for your Subaru. They know what they're doing and charge you a fair price for excellent work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts