Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 S/Turbo SF5 Auto
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a replacement MAF sensor, and see a number of different parts listed/advertised for sale…. anyone know the difference? They are all supposed to be for the 1999 turbo!!!
22794AA010
226804M500
226804M501
22680AA290
226806N200
226806N201

Help appreciated.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo 5MT
1,960 Posts
The first one you've listed is the correct part for the 97-02 S turbo, as in the link below. In 03, with the introduction of the XT, a new type was introduced at nearly twice the price. This is a recommended site and the MAF sensor in particular, must be OEM despite the tempting Ebay offers.

Subaru Forester 2.0 Turbo S SF5 MAF Air Flow Meter Insert

·
Registered
1999 S/Turbo SF5 Auto
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.

Its interesting that that sellers can quote such a range of part numbers all for the same vehicle!

Surely the aftermarket parts are ok…. after all I've been driving round for a month or possibly longer with a faulty one! If they were that bad there would be complaints heard all the time???

·
Registered
2006 2.5XT 5 SP Man
1,012 Posts
I bought a pattern one for mine, (quetin Hazell) it wouldnt even idle smooth let alone drive any sense. dont be tempted to go for a cheapy they dont work

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo 5MT
1,960 Posts
On sensors, particularly the MAF and to a certain extent the O2, they must be genuine Subaru. There are many tales of woe on the site about purchases on Ebay for less than half the list price that pleased the buyer no end but didn't fix the problem, and so they went on to another part of the engine thinking the MAF wasn't at fault. The Ebay rubbish is a hollow container that looks identical to the OEM part but just has a resistor and/or diode inside to fool the ECU into thinking the sensor is there. I opened a Subaru MAF and found it is a complicated set of ICs and other components which is likely why they charge so much. The problem with a lot of the the sensors, and our cars are laden with them, is that unless the connection is actually broken, they rarely give a CEL until they are really upsetting the ECU and due to delicate and sensitive nature of a MAFS, cleaning is not really successful or safe. AFAIK, knock sensors and down stream (secondary) O2 sensors are ok as generic parts though.

I don't know where you got all those part numbers from but different territories might carry an alternative listing although I did purchase one of my 22794AA010s from Chaplins Subaru in the US, where the S turbo isn't sold but the same part is used across the range. If it must be an OEM part, Import car parts are one of the better places to go and if a blue print part will do, they have those as well but if it must be the factory authorized item, they do not carry that in spurious form so shopping is pretty safe.

Look up a site called "Opposed Forces" which many of us use. You will find the S turbo in there, along with all the other EDM/USDM Subaru models, and will be able to find part numbers as well as cross reference them with components listed for Imprezas, sometimes using a different number but usually the same one, and are often the same thing but retailers carry the bulk of their stock for Imprezas and Legacys, so they don't list it as being for a Foz.

Always beware of 'sellers' selling the "listed part". The reason I recommend ICP is that I've never had a dispute with them but have with other vendors because the part they sold me was clearly wrong once I received it despite confirming by email prior to purchase that it was the correct component. On more than one occasion, ICP emailed me because they felt I was ordering the wrong part for my car, which I was once or twice.

·
Registered
1999 S/Turbo SF5 Auto
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bassmaker, Thank you for your trouble in writing your reply to my question. It is really helpful that you took the time to qualify your answer and explain the difference. If the aftermarket 'cheapies' really don't have more than the bare minimum of components, then I understand why they are so cheap, don't work and should be avoided at all costs! I had naively thought that it was more of a reliability issue rather 'not fit for purpose'.

Thanks also for the suggestions for further part info and supply - most helpful.

Cheers, Paul

·
Registered
1999 S/Turbo SF5 Auto
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a pattern one for mine, (quetin Hazell) it wouldnt even idle smooth let alone drive any sense. dont be tempted to go for a cheapy they dont work
Gouldy, thanks of your feed-back…. from what Bassmaker has also said, I think I can see why!!!

Nice to see another Somerset Subaru…. don't go into the floods too deep!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts