Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester L
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my Forester last year to have as a secondary car and mostly to serve winter duty. You'd think a winter car, buy it and leave it alone but I just couldn't help myself. And yes I know it has some awesome *** sag, I'll eventually get around to removing the front spacers and even it out.

How I bought it:

About a month later decided to paint it, these pics are actually from this summer though (actually wanted a more drab olive green but decided to just stay with this):

And now this years set up (not yet complete):

Two wheels are still black:

·
Registered
1998 Forester L
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love the flat black, it gives it such a cleaner look to me. I would have liked the green more if it was more of an olive green and if I had painted it all one color, but there's always next year.

·
Registered
1998 Forester L
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No professional paint nor was a paint booth used, both times I've painted it I used rattle cans and sprayed it outside and it surprisingly turned out pretty good. It's no show car though, haha, but it gets the job done and is covered in salt for a good portion of the year so I'm not too worried about it being perfect. But I sanded it down, not to bare metal except for some rough spots, then primered any areas more likely to get chips so the front end and the front part of the roof got completely primered and then just primered any edges on the rest of the car. Then came the black paint, I honestly used the cheapest flat black from Wal-Mart (99 cents a can), put two coats on and wet sanded between each of the coats. Finally to finish it off and this part really helps even out any of the blotchy/patchiness of the spray paint, I sprayed two coats of flat clear coat and then the hood still looked spotty so I took it off the car and gave it an extra third coat. Overall it took awhile to do with weather and what not but it was worth it.

I also wanted to switch up the lights up front but I didn't want to spend a lot of money so I baked the headlights and the corner lenses and painted them. The headlights I painted part of the chrome that doesn't reflect black and then the corner lenses I painted the inside of the clear plastic a translucent amber/orange. Both turned out pretty decent. The corner lenses could have been better if I had know how the paint worked. It was super thin and runny and after my first two coats I realized that it was all pooling in the bottom and was looking really bad. So to stop this from happening I started spraying much thinner layers and used a heat gun immediately after in order to help dry the paint quicker and not run and pool. Overall I liked the look I ended up with for the lights and I won’t see many SF Foresters with amber corner lights.

Two weekends ago we had some nice weather and I was installing an STi carpet so I had a lot of the interior pulled apart anyways so I finished up the door jams finally and wow what a difference that made, they were still white from when I got the car and the car looks so much better now. I also plastidiped a bunch of the interior pieces from the ugly gray to a much cleaner looking black and installed some 02WRX seats as well. The car's getting to the point where it's much more enjoyable to drive now. Not as fun as my GC but I blame that on the super fun turbo :icon_biggrin:

This weekend I have to put a few things back on. The front window moldings now that I bought some new clips. Clean my roof rack up and put that back on so I'm ready for some snowboarding :Banane17: and get my passenger seat and door card reinstalled. Going to try and wash it and maybe get some better pictures if I have a chance.

Future plans for it:

-Find a way to rig a Thule Fairing to work with my OEM roof rack. My friend was able to rig his Yakima fairing to work with his OEM bars and it looks good and is solid.
-Remove front frame spacers to fix the suspension geometry and hopefully make the saggy butt not so noticeable. If that doesn’t completely help either put some rear spacers on and/or lowering springs and better shocks
-New exhaust, something a little louder, I can't even tell the cars on sometimes. Maybe paint flat black to go with the current theme
-OEM roof spoiler
-Hella Horns
-WRX disc brakes all around, no more rear disc. This will be in the spring when my friend upgrades his brakes
-New transmission in the spring, I haven’t done all my research yet, but I’m hoping the transmission from my RS will bolt up to the Forester. The Forester trans has over 200,000 miles already and the clutch pedal is squishy and doesn’t feel good at all. My GC is swapped but is still running the RS transmission but I want to upgrade the turbo and I don’t want to worry about the transmission exploding so that is getting a WRX or STi trans. I was hoping I could just swap the RS trans onto the Forester since it has stage 2 clutch and only 75,000 miles on it. Maybe someone can confirm this?

·
Registered
1998 Forester L
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lets see some of those S14 pics!
At first I wasn't sure what you were talking about, I had to go back and look at the pics to figure it out. Those pics are from the previous owner so I don't have any pics of that S14 sorry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts