Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester Limited Auto
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lifted my ‘02 a few years ago and I would go through front axles about every 20-25k miles. I have an ‘09 now and was told that because of the improved multi-link front suspension I wouldn’t have issues with axles. I lifted the car about 5k miles ago and replaced the axles, tie rods, control arms and ball joints all at the same time. I can already feel the axles wearing out. I went with the factory rebuilt axles instead of new aftermarket. So my question is, for those of you with 2009+ Foresters lifted 2” of more, how long do your axles last?

·
Administrator
17,259 Posts
The front is still macpherson struts; the rear is multi-link.

I'm interested to know how you can "feel" the front axles wearing out?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can feel axles wearing out because they will make a distinctive clunking sound over certain bumps, usually more pronounced when reversing. And the car will start to track like it has excessive toe out even though the alignment is fine. Unfortunately it’s a pattern I’m too familiar with. I’m rough on my cars so I’m sure that’s part of it, but I was really hoping it would be better with the SH.

·
Administrator
17,259 Posts
Interesting! So I guess the sound is the axle or hub moving back and forth on the splines as the suspension articulates? I'm wondering if it needs longer axles to cope with the lift in the front? The rear multi-link should be OK though.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Longer axles would probably help quite a bit but for some reason nobody makes a decent aftermarket axle. I used to use Heri heavy duty axles on my old '02 and those lasted longer than others but still only got 30k miles before they were toast. And from what I'm reading their reputation has gone downhill. I understand why there wasn't a good axle available a few years ago but now that there are thousands of people lifting their Subarus you'd think someone would come up with something. I also find it strange that more people aren't complaining about eating up axles. I can only assume 99% of the lifted Subarus out there don't ever see a dirt road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts