Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
MY09 Forester X
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys
What kind of mileage do you guys get on a full tank of fuel?
Mine is an AUTO model, and lately i get around 320-340 km's on full tank. The full tank worked out to be around 45 litres for me (when the warning light came on). I find this pretty bad, even though i mainly do city driving. Also i use the 91 octane fuel.

Kory.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
31 Posts
That does seem bad, I usually get 480-500km's on average before the fuel light comes on with a mixture of city and highway driving. I have a MY10 manual, 23,000km's on the clock.

·
Registered
2008 my 2009 x
6 Posts
forrester fuel klms

i have a my09 forrester x manual and i usually get about 590/600 then petrol light comes on.

·
Registered
MY09 Forester X
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All you guys with fantastic mileage, must be doing alot of highway driving with manual transmission. I mainly do city drive.

Unfortunately, im on the Auto tranny (4 speed which doesn't help). During the summer, the fuel economy wasn't as bad, but seemed to be getting worse in winter. Could be coincidence, or im just taking off too quickly in the mornings, when the engine idle is high.

Anyway, my next plan is to pump up the tyres to higher pressure. Then after that, have a go with premium unleaded.

Kory

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
I have auto with 14k on the clock I get around 240-280 per tank so it is about 416 km.

I can do better if I do more highway driving but my every day commute is about 5-8 miles mix driving. So the engine dose not warm up enough to work efficently.

·
Registered
08 Forester X
134 Posts
I have a MY08 X manual and got ~9.5L/100km driving from Melbourne to Harrietville,Mt Beauty and Mt Hotham and back on the weekend. We did about 900km of freeway,country roads including 150km of windy, hilly driving. Around the suburbs it's edging towards 11L/100km.

·
Registered
2008 xt premium
99 Posts
Just wondering if all these ltr/km readings are actual measurements or taken from the readout in dashboard????

:Banane35:

Gavin..

·
Registered
2010 Forester XTP
9 Posts
I have a 3 month old MY10 XT Auto, and I find I can easily get ~420Km out of a tank when the light comes on.
This is mostly city traffic, with some some freeway cruising thrown in.

I do drive fairly sedately, but do exploit the turbo rush every now and then!!
I have done just under 5,000km to date.

I find the dash readout is a little optimistic, as I keep separate figures.
I re-set the "B" Trip meter after the first fill, and have left it. It now reads 10.8l/100, where my calculations come up with 11.28l/100.

Sounds like you have something not right going on.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
31 Posts
Just wondering if all these ltr/km readings are actual measurements or taken from the readout in dashboard????

Gavin..
For me, just resetting the trip meter every time I fill up, my average is based on just that, what I roughly get. It definitely gets worse if I have a week of city driving only but even then it's 450-480Km's.

About to have my 25,000km service, lets see if it improves anymore....

Cheers

·
Registered
2008 xt premium
99 Posts
I was getting roughly around 10-10.8lt according to the little readout in the top of the dash but since fitting a turbo back exhaust and getting it tuned the readout is now in the mid to high 9lt/100km and probably drive it a little bit harder due to the new found grunt.

Gavin..

P.s That is only going by the readout in the top of the dashboard!!!!

·
Registered
2004 Forester
71 Posts
Highway ave 8.32 L / 100 km
City ave 9.97 L / 100 km

2004 2.5X Manual 146000 km use BP Ultimate.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
31 Posts
I might add that I have just been using 91 Unleaded from either Shell or Caltex, I don't know if there is any merit to using higher octane fuels on a vehicle that is naturally aspirated and not high performance. Has anyone tried?

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
I might add that I have just been using 91 Unleaded from either Shell or Caltex, I don't know if there is any merit to using higher octane fuels on a vehicle that is naturally aspirated and not high performance. Has anyone tried?
Heaps and some live in the fantasy that it does and others with the true belief that it doesn't. Just like some swear by one brand of fuel over another. But just because it says Shell or BP or Caltex at the bowser doesn't mean that is what's going in your tank. After all if you live in QLD for instance the fuel will all come from the one Caltex refinery at Lytton. And then think of the mix that ends up in the tank anyway because it is rare that anyone ever completely drains their tank before refilling.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
Highway ave 8.32 L / 100 km
City ave 9.97 L / 100 km

2004 2.5X Manual 146000 km use BP Ultimate.
I thought this was a thread for 09 Forester fuel consumption. :shrug:

·
Registered
2015 SJ DIESEL L FOZZ CVT
225 Posts
G'day Banjo,

My BMW 1100 motorcycles gave better km's/l on Premium fuel, and therefore better range between fill-ups.

ie..18/19 Km's/L lifted 1 or 2 Km's/L when using Premium, and the fuel injected motors ran better/smoooother.

Our '05 Commodore V6 3.6L would probably drop say 0.5 or 0.6L / 100KM, ie 8.7L/ KM to low 8's / 100 KM. The Premium (high octane) fuel always gave a noticeable economy lift.

Assume it would help distance/tank in a Fozz.

Hope these experiences help answer your question.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Date: July 5, 2010 (Winter)

What kind of mileage do you guys get on a full tank of fuel?
Mine is an AUTO model, and lately i get around 320-340 km's (= ~198 – 211 miles) on full tank. The full tank worked out to be around 45 litres (= ~11.9 U.S. gallons) for me (when the warning light came on). I find this pretty bad, even though i mainly do city driving. Also i use the 91 octane (= ~86 - 87 AKI in U.S.) fuel.

Kory.
All you guys with fantastic mileage, must be doing alot of highway driving with manual transmission. I mainly do city drive.

Unfortunately, im on the Auto tranny (4 speed which doesn't help). During the summer, the fuel economy wasn't as bad, but seemed to be getting worse in winter. Could be coincidence, or im just taking off too quickly in the mornings, when the engine idle is high.

Anyway, my next plan is to pump up the tyres to higher pressure. Then after that, have a go with premium unleaded.

Kory
Kory,

I have an ’09 Forester 2.5 X with a 5-speed manual. Considering that your car is fitted with an AT, that you’re in the midst of the Southern Hemisphere’s winter (July), and that you do mainly city driving, then 45 litres / ~330 km = ~13.6 l/100 km = ~17.2 mpg (U.S.) probably sounds about “right”.

My car’s overall average is ~28.2 mpg (U.S.; ~8.3 l/100 km), but I use my Forester mostly for highway driving. My worst tank was 19.63 mpg (U.S.; ~12 l/100 km) from all-suburban driving last February, in the middle our winter. I’ve no doubt that it would have been worse in true city driving, which I avoid like the plague.

As far as fuel octane is concerned, I’m seeing mixed results in my Forester. My initial findings are that 87 AKI (~91 RON) is satisfactory in the winter at my elevation (~100 meters AMSL), and higher octane delivers no improvement. However, I find that 88 – 89 AKI (~92 – 93 RON) delivers better fuel economy results in the summer at relatively low elevations.

Hope this helps!
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2010 Forester XTP
9 Posts
I too just filled up today, 46.87 Liters, 391KM.

Thats for an Auto MY10 XT, driven fairly "Firmly".
In fact, its the worst result I have had since I have owned the car.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts