Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
15,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 1 day into a 4 day trip and Im getting a cyclic tapping which sounds like its coming from the tranny. At 100 KLM/hr (60 mph) its almost like a clock and pretty much the same timing, except its a TAP TAP instead of tick tock.

ATF is OK; I'm performing a ECU reset tonight.

Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
15,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like it's the RHS front drive shaft output seal & bearing. The noise got worse and became a cyclic rattle. I had to leave the car behind and came home in a rental. :icon_frown:

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,250 Posts
Ouch! Nothing worse than a rental. Good luck getting her back on the road.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
Hope it's in good hands for repairs. Where were you heading? Sort of thing nightmares are made of, heading into the bush/outback and car starts to make funny noises.

·
Administrator
15,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ I was heading home from Agnes Water in Queensland - the car is with Bundy City Subaru (Bundaberg). I plan to fly up end of this week and repeat the drive back home next weekend :icon_frown:

·
Administrator
15,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turns out it's the front LHS outer CV joint - they did repairs to a leaky seal on the front RHS output shaft retainer so they did not address the real problem! :icon_mad: I drove it home as is and will get the whole shaft replaced this week.

·
Administrator
15,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just picked my car up from the local workshop - they did what I told them i.e. replace the front LHS drive shaft with a reconditioned unit and - the noise is still there! :icon_frown:

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
Was there something that was obviously damaged or worn out?

·
Administrator
15,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The LHS drive shaft had a lot of slack in it and probably need replacing anyway. So, now I'm back to thinking it's either the side retainer bearing in the front diff, the diff itself, the gearbox or maybe the tailshaft bearings. I'll have to get it running on a hoist to find out; it sounds like a bearing rattle.

·
Administrator
15,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My workshop manual seems to suggest to remove the gearbox to get to the propeller shaft bearing in the rear of the gearbox - can someone confirm this for me pls?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
My workshop manual seems to suggest to remove the gearbox to get to the propeller shaft bearing in the rear of the gearbox - can someone confirm this for me pls?
I'm pretty sure you can just remove the tail housing from the transmission, but i'm not 100%.

·
Administrator
15,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Problem solved!

A couple of teeth missing on the front diff crown wheel. Ah well - "pay to play" as they say.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts