Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester S Turbo Manual
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed it wasn't working earlier, so got my spares ready, pulled the old broken one (yes smashed glass with a white powder inside) out to find its not a conventional bulb.

I find its these:

as opposed to the more regular ones like these:

No bother I thought, I have a spare Forester I can borrow it from, but a MY99. But that has regular bulbs. So after trying 2 tesco's and an Asda, it was after 9pm so no motor spares shops open, I come away empty handed. Not even the emergency light bulb kits had them in.

I can't see why they changed it. The opening in the light unit itself is the same on both cars, they just changed the bulb holder on the later models to the capless push type. Seems a bit silly, but the reason for this moan is hopefully it will help someone out, so they can get some spares before they need it.

Safe driving everyone :Banane17:

·
Registered
2004 looking 6 MT
262 Posts
Halfords sell them,don't pick the one it says in the fitment guide in shop as that's the same as what you already got.can't remember the bulb code but take yours in and you will see the correct bulb easily enough.i made the same mistake last month but they ley me swap packs anyway.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Will give halfords a go, I've seen them listed on their site.

I couldn't see the writing on it, because when I went to take the bulb out, there was already a section missing and it had a load of white powder in it. The rest of the glass smashed when I tried to pull it out, so had to get some pliers to get the base out.

I've never had these on a car before, just find it strange they changed it.

·
Registered
01 UK S-Turbo AT
1,556 Posts
Same as my MY01 UK S Turbo. It's called a wedge bulb. 21/5w. Halfords do em in a 2pk about 3.50. My NS stop filament blows too often for me not to carry a spare or three :(

Mike

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They only did one for 3 quid. No 2 packs. I'll stock up at my local motor spare shop instead.

I was wrong when I said earlier that the opening in the light unit was the same as the regular bulbs. Its not. A normal stop and tail light wont fit in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts