Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just been a cheapskate and purchased a towbar removed from a MY00 Forester with the intention of fitting it to my 03.

I had read 98-08 towbars would fit but the vapour cannister & bracket seems to get in the way on my car.

Does anyone know anyway around this or do I have to cut the towbar's R/H bracing to fit around. Obviously I'm not keen to do this.

·
Registered
99 Forester 4EAT
58 Posts
I removed my old hitch from my 1999 Forester s (SF)and put it on my new 2004 forester xt (SG). The hitch fit with no problems and the wire harness just clipped in. You have to remove the vapor canister to remove/install the hitch, then just bolt the canister bach up. My hitch brand is Drawtite (dealer purchased item).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed my old hitch from my 1999 Forester s (SF)and put it on my new 2004 forester xt (SG). The hitch fit with no problems and the wire harness just clipped in. You have to remove the vapor canister to remove/install the hitch, then just bolt the canister bach up. My hitch brand is Hidden Hitch.
Thanks, I believe this is the case with some aftermarket hitches but the 'genuine' Hayman Reese has a wider downward section on the bolted on arm piece which seems to interfere with the vapour cannsiter.

Im not sure if cutting it down to fit would reduce the overall structural integrity of the hitch

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
There should not be any physical difference between an SF and SG hitch. You need to unbolt your vapor canister and slide the hitch under it. There are a couple mounting bolts under the canister for the hitch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There should not be any physical difference between an SF and SG hitch. You need to unbolt your vapor canister and slide the hitch under it. There are a couple mounting bolts under the canister for the hitch.
The issue looks to be that my hitch will not allow the canister to fit below it, the later hitches have a narrower section on the R/H side to accommodate the canister, mine doesn't, it is from a pre carbon canister forester model.

Was just wondering how people have got around it without pulling out the angle grinder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts