Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 33,000 miles on my 2009 Forester base X model. It has been a great car for us and we have not performed any maintenance outside of regular oil changes and tire rotations. The dealer gave us the option of adding an extended warranty at the time of new purchase and said we could add it up to the expiration of the factory warranty. I believe it was for an additional 2 years or 24,000 miles and cost about a thousand dollars.
My question is what things should I be looking for to be replaced or upgraded under the factory warranty?
What things should I keep a careful eye on in the future?
Is it worth the extra money for the extended warranty?
My background is that I am not a mechanic but I do brakes, shocks, exhaust, fluid changes, etc.
I stink at engine diagnostics and leave that up the professionals.
I usually buy the Haynes manuals and keep up on the recommended maintenance.
We plan to keep the car for a long time if it proves to be reliable.
Any feedback?

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,695 Posts
isn't this your warranty?

Bumper-to-bumper: 3 year/36,000 miles.
Wear Item warranty 3 year/36,000 miles, covers premature wear: brakes, clutch linings, remote batteries, wiper blades (one time replacement) etc.
Roadside assistance 3yr/36000 miles by the Cross Country Motor Club at 800 261-2155, break-down, lock-out, flat repair etc
Powertrain: 5 year/ 60,000 miles
Corrosion, rust perforation: 5 year/100,000 miles
Emission: warranties vary by emission system and state. Minimum 3yr/36,000 with extended major emission component defect warranty 8yr/80,000
Note Warranties do not cover wear or damage due to abuse, lack of maintenance or competitive driving. Exclusions may apply, wear replacement may be one time.

36,000 mile bumper to bumper and 60,000 miles powertrain.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not sure on the powertrain warranty.
I thought the 3/36 was on everything.
We will have to dig out our paperwork from the dealership.
Either way, I am looking for feedback on what I should be wary of in the near future.
The brake pads and rotors look great (from the last time I rotated tires) and I don't think they will be replacing any for me under warranty.
If wiper blades are covered, I don't remember that.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,695 Posts
Yes, they will replace wiper blades under warranty.
36K miles covers everything.
60k miles is powertrain.

What is going to go wrong?

I'm not buying an extended warranty.

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
The extended Subaru warranty costs from perhaps $800.00 to $1,200. I but the extended warranty recently, not from the dealer when I purchased the car, but a few months later from Subaru. I got the 80,000-mile one and paid around $800.00. All it does is to cover the same components the initial 3-year warranty covers. However, the more expensive features cover a few other things, like car renting while the Subaru is being repaired, and so forth.

I imagine that it varies for State to State, but the ones I chose from are under the "Added Security" at "My Subaru"
http://www.subaru.com/finance-center/added-security-plans.html

·
Registered
2009 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want to rephrase my question...

I have never been a fan of purchasing extended warranties. I have always believed they are a sham and are not a substitute for preventative maintenance. It is like gambling to me. I think saving the money I would spend on the warranty to go towards repairs later is more wise.

I want to know from higher-mileage Forester owners with the 2.5 non-turbo engine and the 4 speed automatic what kind of problems they had outside of the warranty period.
If they are items that can be identified prior to my original warranty expiration, I want to ride the dealership on fixing them.

For example, my last vehicle was a GMC Envoy that was prone to having the end links in the suspension go bad and rattle. I had the dealership replace them three times under warranty and it didn't cost me a dime. If I had a repair shop do them, the cost would have been several hundred a pop.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,121 Posts
Another 24,000 gets you up to the powertrain warranty which you already have til 60,000 and that's what you worry about. ..Pass

·
Registered
17 Forester Premium
106 Posts
I have 33,000 miles on my 2009 Forester base X model.
Is it worth the extra money for the extended warranty?
My background is that I am not a mechanic but I do brakes, shocks, exhaust, fluid changes, etc.
You are covered by a 60k miles powertrain warranty which I doubt you will even use.
In my opinion the extended warranty is a waste of money for such a new car. Since you are the original owner and do your maintenance by yourself, if anything can go wrong it will happen way over 100k or when the car is 6+ years old.
Also, if you can do shocks/brakes/etc, it will be easy for you to fix other things and it will be cheaper than extended warranty. If you get check engine light on, you pull the codes for free at autozone and change the whatever sensor is giving you a problem.
If you really want a peace of mind you can buy extended warranty when you reach 90-95k miles (I think after 100k it's more expensive).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts