Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT AT
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On the way home from work last night, the car came off of cruise control, the check engine light came on and the cruise light started flashing. Then I started hearing noises from the area of the turbo, like wind howling around the house. I pulled over, checked the oil, found it not on the stick, but adding a quart brought it almost back to full. Drove it home and to the dealer this morning, with it making an odd whirring noise.

They said the turbo is shot and that it will cost me around $2K to replace it. $2K I don't think I have. Sigh. In the mean time, I have to fgure out how to get back and forth to work, which is 63 miles away ...

-ste

·
Premium Member
04 Acura TSX the slick 6 speed
2,395 Posts
You can get a nice used TD04 (stock turbo) for under $200 that will do you just fine. It can be installed for a few hundred more by a reputable mechanic.

Sorry to hear. Good luck!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT AT
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm kinda over a barrel here. I wouldn't know where to buy a used one or how to be assured it was in good shape and I don't know any mechanics or anyone where I live to ask for a recommendation. With time, I could overcome those obstacles, but I need it working now, which means the dealer. :-/

-ste

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I'm kinda over a barrel here. I wouldn't know where to buy a used one or how to be assured it was in good shape and I don't know any mechanics or anyone where I live to ask for a recommendation. With time, I could overcome those obstacles, but I need it working now, which means the dealer. :-/

-ste
They go up for sale here all the time. Sometimes people have them lying around and don't post. You might just open a new thread in the PARTS WANTED forum and ask if anyone has one. Most of the people here are pretty mature and I think you'll be safe getting one in good shape. I've had 99% positive experiences here.

The mechanic is anothe rissue though...but you could have Subaru install a used one for you. I think much of the $2000 they want is the part - new OEM turbos are up towards $1000 retail.

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
6,091 Posts
Sent you a PM. I have one laying around.

I would just rent a car, it'll still cost you way less to go used and rent than $2K, that's just ridiculous.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT AT
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I'm rethinking this, after having the dealership tell me that the new turbo is roughly $1,600.00 of the $2K they quoted me. That's a lot of money.

-ste

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Well, I'm rethinking this, after having the dealership tell me that the new turbo is roughly $1,600.00 of the $2K they quoted me. That's a lot of money.

-ste
Yes - pick up the used one and pay them $400 labor. Good plan.

BTW $1600 is ridiculous - I picked up a brand new VF39 for half that.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
Better yet, save $400 and put it in yourself. Heck, if my girly self can do it, anyone can...

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT AT
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Better yet, save $400 and put it in yourself. Heck, if my girly self can do it, anyone can...
Yeah, I thought of that too, but I don't have many tools and I have no clue where to start. I think I'll bite the bullet on the labor and save the DIY for when I maybe upgrade it down the line and am not in a crunch. :)

-ste

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT AT
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
On to a different issue now ...

Did I murder my turbo? I'm guessing I did. :(

I checked my records and it appears I skipped - according to mileage, not time - about *3* oil changes. I'd been going by time because I hardly drove it, then got a job near the end of October where I suddenly drive it a minimum of 126 miles a day, plus throw in another 1200+ going to and from and participating in the 48hrs of Tristate charity run last month ... and I stupidly didn't switch from thinking in terms of time to mileage.

It *really* has to be changed every 3000 miles, doesn't it ...

Let my folly be a lesson. :-/

-ste

P.S.: I wonder what other damage I've done to my engine. :-/

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,503 Posts
On to a different issue now ...

Did I murder my turbo? I'm guessing I did. :(

It *really* has to be changed every 3000 miles, doesn't it ...
:-/
No - that's only for paranoid SoA. Here in Oz Subaru only changes the oil on all models including turbos every 12500km (7800 miles). However if you are unfortunate to have one that uses oil well............

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,184 Posts
If you're using dino, yes 3K. I change at 5K with synthetic. My buddy with an outback and dino didn't change his for 7 or 8 thousand miles and his turbo blew, the oil looked like sludge.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
5 Posts
I would like the service manual excerpt. My turbo went out today as well. It started making an unusual sound yesterday. I removed the intercooler today and will finish removing the turbo tomorrow. Is it worth getting the turbo rebuilt or should I look for another? If I upgrade to a TD05 do I need to have the car "tuned"?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts