Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
Joined
·
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I've figured out this hosting stuff...

I've never messed with a car stereo before and wanted it to be a clean install. Rather than trust it to some moron at a chain, I researched what was involved as far as taking apart the dash, wiring, etc. Between SF.com, scoobymods, and some insight from you all I felt comfortable enough to tackle this.

I used a Starmate Replay Sirius receiver and everything is hard-wired in the car, fm modulator and power source. No exposed wires.



 

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
Joined
·
815 Posts
Nice! You put your antenna where I put mine. I got the Sirius S50 (portable) for Christmas. So far it is great. My only complaint is sound quality. Right now I am using the built in FM modulator, but would like to get it hardwired right to the head unit. I think it will sound much better that way.

Is there an attachment on the back of the XT six disc stereo?
 

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
Joined
·
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used the FM modulator. It's really easy. You just unplug the antenna from the radio, plug the modulator into the radio and plug the FM antenna into the modulator. Then run the mini plug to the Sirius unit and plug it into the FM hole and you're done. The S50 looks cool as hell. 2hours recording, right?

Either way Sat radio sound quality is not good. Even on my father's Audi with it built in, the sound quality isn't great.
 

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
Joined
·
19,205 Posts
I was in British Columbia over the holidays. Tried a temporary XM setup in my rental car with the antenna in about that same position, but it just didn't hack it while driving north. I stopped by the side of the road and moved it to the outside at the rear center. Worked great after that, though it was far from a concealed installation.

I guess it depends on how far south you are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
431 Posts
bbottomley said:
I was in British Columbia over the holidays. Tried a temporary XM setup in my rental car with the antenna in about that same position, but it just didn't hack it while driving north. I stopped by the side of the road and moved it to the outside at the rear center. Worked great after that, though it was far from a concealed installation.

I guess it depends on how far south you are.
That's why it's recommended to put them on the roof of the car or somewhere outside.
 
G

·
i just got the S50 as well and i have an XT's 6-disc head unit in my X because i wanted to do the ipod mod... now i need to go back and splice the wires so that i can hookup my ipod and the S50... should be easy since the S50 simply takes a 1/8" plug...

so to answer your question from above, yes the XT 6-disc head unit can accept an input... you have to make a cd with 80 minutes of nothing however since there is no dedicated aux channel... so you essentially are playing your aux unit while the 80 minute blank disc is also playing... works great and keeps the stock look...

this is a nice install by the way!
 

·
Fear the Gorilla!
Joined
·
181 Posts
Galager said:
Now that I've figured out this hosting stuff...

I've never messed with a car stereo before and wanted it to be a clean install. Rather than trust it to some moron at a chain, I researched what was involved as far as taking apart the dash, wiring, etc. Between SF.com, scoobymods, and some insight from you all I felt comfortable enough to tackle this.

I used a Starmate Replay Sirius receiver and everything is hard-wired in the car, fm modulator and power source. No exposed wires.

I want to do this. Can you do an install step-by-step?
 
G

·
I don't understand why people install the antenna inside, do you get good reception inside tyhe vehicle, the directions state that you should put it on the highest point of the vehicle???
 

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
Joined
·
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dlroto said:
I don't understand why people install the antenna inside, do you get good reception inside tyhe vehicle, the directions state that you should put it on the highest point of the vehicle???
I installed it inside, because it was easy. The reception I get is as good as the reception on my father's Audi A6 that has a factory installed antenna on the roof. I commute everyday from NYC out to CT and back and have no problems until I reach the suburbs where the foliage is thick. The Audi experiences the same drop outs due to the foliage as the interior antenna.

Do I think that max effectiveness would occur on the roof? Probably, but not enough of a difference to warrant the hassle. I very rarely drop a signal.

This would probably be a bigger issue in a more rural area where there are no terrestrial repeaters for the signal, but it wortks just fine where I am. I also have a friend in DC with a Legacy that has his on the dash and a friend here with a Camry and he has his on the dash. No one has complained so far.
 

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
Joined
·
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GTP said:
I want to do this. Can you do an install step-by-step?
I'll do my best, but I am busy as hell right now having just started a new job.
 

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
Joined
·
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
SkiPhast said:
Nice! You put your antenna where I put mine. I got the Sirius S50 (portable) for Christmas. So far it is great. My only complaint is sound quality. Right now I am using the built in FM modulator, but would like to get it hardwired right to the head unit. I think it will sound much better that way.

Is there an attachment on the back of the XT six disc stereo?
Are you using the wireless, or the wired fm modulator? Just stepping it up to a wired one will make a big difference. I suppose you could use the aux-in mod with it...
 

·
Fear the Gorilla!
Joined
·
181 Posts
Galager said:
I'll do my best, but I am busy as hell right now having just started a new job.

I can't wait...I need satellite
 

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
Joined
·
815 Posts
Galager said:
Are you using the wireless, or the wired fm modulator? Just stepping it up to a wired one will make a big difference. I suppose you could use the aux-in mod with it...

Right now, just wireless, hence the crappy sound.
 

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
Joined
·
19,205 Posts
dlroto said:
I don't understand why people install the antenna inside
Because it works!

Sitting inside it's one fewer thing to attract the attention of creeps who like to do bad things to people's cars.

I've got my XM antenna sitting on top of the metal flap at the front of the moonroof, and it's given me perfect reception here in the metro-Balt area. On trips between MD and NH it only dropped out a few times, and that was while driving through deep granite cuts or wet and heavily wooded areas, where reception would be bad with any sort of antenna mounting.

As noted above, I couldn't get satisfactory reception with the antenna inside the windshield of a rental car in Canada. We were driving north, and the satellite is south and at a lower angle than in the US. So I switched it around onto the rear of the roof and it worked fine. But with a more permanent installation in my US-based Forester, I'm happy to keep it tucked up under the moonroof as long as it keeps performing for me.
 

·
Registered
2004 XT
Joined
·
432 Posts
I also placed my sirius radio in the sunglass holder. except i used the smaller one and drilled a hole in the top for the wires. the toughest thing is that you need a DC extension from radioshack and then wiring it all together.
 

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
Joined
·
360 Posts
I have the Visor Sirius tuner installed in my 05XT. I have the Visor affixed to the windshield using the suction cup mount and the wires running along the bottom of the windshield, down inside the driver's side door hinge area and under the dash. I do not have a direct connection, so I use the built in FM modulator and have the power source plugged into the cigarette lighter. I tried the Sirius antenna on the dash, but that didn't work for me driving in my area (western NY). So the antenna runs along the weather stip around the windshield and is affixed on the roof next to the roof rail mount. This set up has worked for me since December so it will stay. I don't mind seeing a wire or two as I wouldn't want to install the unit in the eye glass holder. I actually put my sunglasses up there and I rather not take my eyes off the road to see the screen.
 

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
Count me among those who think that the XM receiver puts out GREAT quality sound...
-Quick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Hey Guys,
I have a Sirius S50 and I was wondering where you all have mounted yours. Can someone post some pictures so I can see what the options are? How are you all liking the S50 mounting locations? I would have gone with a smaller, less expensive unit, but my family got together and bought it for me as my gift this past Christmas. ...and therefore I need to be using it more often than I am.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top