Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

My "Sick" Day

7K views 56 replies 39 participants last post by  Blue Fox 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I woke up this morning with a sore throat, a slight fever and just feeling like poo. On the way to work, I decided to just call in and take the day off. On the way back home, I stopped at Walgreens to get some medication. Downed a couple of pills and sipped on some hot tea I picked up at a local coffee place. Started to head home and was feeling a little better.

On the way home though, I found a HUGE wide open dirt lot/field full of the perfect kind of mud. You know, the stuff perfect for bogging. Now, it has been raining for the past 4 days and snowed last night in the mountains....so there was a few Jeeps bogging in the mud. I immediately went "Awww. I wan't to do that."......and so I did.

I tip-toed in at first, feeling how slick/sticky/deep the mud was. Five minutes later, I drove in full throttle. The second all four tires hit the slick mud, I was sideways doing 60 mph. You should have heard me, giggling like a little five year old. The Jeeps stopped on the outskirts of the field (probably in shock) that my car was sliding around like it was. I was throwing mud EVERYWHERE. The tach was holding steading at 5500 RPM, and I was sliding all over the place. I could see a couple of cars and trucks that stopped on the side of the road (I presume to watch my crazy ass). I know I would if I saw a Subaru playing in some mud.

Now, I've been at this for 10 minutes now, just having a blast. For some reason, I remembered that I have balding tires (almost to the wear bars) so I was a little worried about getting stuck. Just as I thought that, the mud got really slippery and no matter how much I tried, I kept creeping into the middle (where the REALLY deep stuff was). Before you know it, splash and stuck I was.

Crap.

All I could think now was all the people (including the Jeep guys) watching and laughing. So, to protect my pride, (as well as the Foresters') I decided to try my hardest to get out. So, tried my best to rock the car to get out. Before the Jeep guys came over (they were on their way to rescue/ridicule me). What seemed like forever, the rear began to catch and slowly but surely, with the tach pegged at 6,000 RPM, reversed out. Woooo!. I met the Jeep guys half way and asked why they weren't playing around anymore. They pointed to the other side of the field, I turned and looked.....and there were two police officers on the edge of the field, just watching.

Crap.

Well, they weren't going to come in and play (obviously), and if they wanted me out, they would have shouted at me by now on their PA, so I continued to have a little more fun in the mud. After another 5-10 minutes of bogging around, I decided to finally head home. The rain had stopped, the sky was beginning to clear and I began to see the mountains....with snow on them.

Here in Las Cruces, NM.....we NEVER get snow, on anything. So this was now my new point of interest. I headed home to grab my camera, then I ventured out onto my favorite desert trails to get to the mountains, snapping a few pics along the way........

I don't have a rear sway bar anymore. I had an STi one, but it kept bending my stock endlinks. Eventually I said screw it a couple of weeks ago, and just took it off for good. The result is FLEX!!!!!!

So now my day was shaping up to be a pretty good one. The tea I had earlier helped soothe my throat, and the medicine was doing it's job for my nasal congestion.......and the mud bogging certainly did bring my morale up a bit.

So I continued towards the mountains to take a few pics, but the snow was already melting pretty quickly on the western face, so I decided to take the pass and go to the eastern face of the mountains away from the sun. I wasn't expecting it to have as much snow as it did......

It was now starting to get close to sunset, so I started to head back. Only to be confronted with New Mexico drivers. They have NO idea really! snow is, much less how to drive in it. There was one guy that I watched slide off the road into the bushes because he thought that he could power out of a slide. Made me laugh. Then this other guy was driving WAY too fast on this one-way mountain road and also ate a bush on the side of the road. Idiots. So I started my 30 mile drive back home. On the way, the sun started to set a little and got some cool looking orange clouds......decided to take a few more final pics......

Well, today turned out to be one of the best sick days I've taken in a long time. Usually it's said to take it easy and stay in bed. But today, I really did feel better the more I drove the Foz. I'm feeling much better now, until realizing I have to go to work tomorrow. :icon_frown:

See less See more
#20 ·
Thanks for all the comments so far. I am feeling much better today (and went to work). I pulled up and the boss saw my car. His first reply was "sore throat, huh?" with a smile on his face. He knew I was sick the day before, and I still have a crappy sounding voice today, so he knew I was legit. A sore throat doesn't mean I loose my ability to bog. :biggrin:

I have a few more pictures that I'm flipping through to see if they're worth posting as well. And on Saturday (if the mud is still there), I'm going to throw another layer of mud over it to see how dirty I can really get it (since I'll be cleaning it for days regardless). Maybe we can start a "Dirtiest Foz" thread and hold a competition every 3-months or so. Who knows.

Again, thanks for the comments. Glad I could share the pics.

(oh, and in the last pic, you can get an idea of what the LED's look like in my headlamps, and how bright they really are (being that they're a thick layer of mud over the headlamps)

#22 · (Edited)
Blue Fox walks into work the day after,

Blue Fox: "Morning boss."

Boss: "Morning Blue Fox, feeling better today?"

Blue Fox: "Yeah. I think so, really felt like crap yesterday..."

Boss: "I did too, so I took my new Jeep and left the office for a bit to go get some coffee... saw the coolest mud field and so I decided to have some fun. Hey you wouldn't believe it, some yahoo in a Subaru dove in and really gave that field some hell, me and a few other jeepers thought he got stuck, but he spun it out bouncing off the rev limiter.... <boss scratches head an ah-ha moment in the making>... say, Blue.... You still have a Forester?..."

Blue Fox: "Oh! Look at the time! Hey, I'll catch ya later, I got to get cracking!" <hurries away to his work area...>

LOL, seriousy though, that is the coolest sick day in a while.

P.S. Those pics are magazine quality, nice!

#24 ·
LOL. My boss has a Jeep too, but never takes it off-road. It's always shiny and always has tire shine on the big huge tires. Shame really. :biggrin:

And yeah, I'm going to go back to that field sometime this week and see if it's still nice and sloppy. If so, maybe I'll try to setup the camera with a tripod or something and take a video or two.

#25 ·
I seriously loved reading this thread. It was like one of those stories that once you start, you just need to keep reading it! You took some great pics and now I'm kinda wanting to get out and do some of that myself ;)

Btw, I always liked your Foz, but now that I've seen those LED headlights I think I've fallen in love hahaha. Hope your boss doesn't catch on to your inevitable streak of "sick days"!

#28 ·
Yeah, I wanted to call in today too and do it all over again......but I figured I need the job more than mud right now. :biggrin:

And believe it or not, the fog lamps and LED's are actually close to the same color in person. There's so much mud over the fogs that it make it look yellow-ish. But yeah, I'm proud of my LED's. I first did the mod to my sportbike, and liked it so much I applied it to the Foz.

#29 ·
The LED strips I used from superbrightleds.com run about $15 bucks each. Then I taped off each LED and sprayed the LED board a satin-black (they come white). A little 3M automotive adhesive tape and they're in (once you get the assembly apart). Just make sure you have a flat spot to mount the LED board to. After that, I just wired them into my parking lights, changed the parking lights from white to amber, an voila. An Audi-ripoff for sure, but it looks good IMO. :biggrin:

#31 ·
For some reason, Photobucket didn't upload one of my edited pics.......so here it is. I was wondering where this one was (also added it to my original post). This was one of my favorites too. :biggrin: Snow started to get deep (for NM) in this pic.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.