Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put Subaru Square cross bars on top. When i hit 65ish or if it is really windy i get a whistle from the front cross bar. Around 80mph it is deafening. If i crack open the moon roof it goes away but thats not how i want to spend my time driving. I didnt get a cargo carrier yet. Not sure which one and have to save some dough first. but, does that whistle go away after the cargo carrier is on? Im not really feeling like taking them off when im not using them plus they look kind of nice.
anyone have a solution to this?

·
Registered
2008 2.5x ll beaner
634 Posts
You think your bars are loud wait till you get your cargo carrier up there..try a fairing maybe? A cargo box right? No basket..correct?

My basket is a little loud but I deal with it through ac/dc and what not..

·
Registered
2008 2.5x ll beaner
634 Posts
fairing second that, I have one below the basket, I have the yak fairing too for the basket but haven't put it on yet..

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,902 Posts
I guess that explains way the factory/OEM crossbars are shaped like wings & have to be positions correctly. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2001 S 4EAT Automatic
34 Posts
I just put Subaru Square cross bars on top. When i hit 65ish or if it is really windy i get a whistle from the front cross bar. Around 80mph it is deafening. If i crack open the moon roof it goes away but thats not how i want to spend my time driving. I didnt get a cargo carrier yet. Not sure which one and have to save some dough first. but, does that whistle go away after the cargo carrier is on? Im not really feeling like taking them off when im not using them plus they look kind of nice.
anyone have a solution to this?
I had the same problem with my Yakima bars. I made a fairing to test if that helps. Worked perfectly. Still get a little noise but nothing like before.

My round Yakima bars are easy enough to remove and I don't need them on all the time so I pull them off unless I need them.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You think your bars are loud wait till you get your cargo carrier up there..try a fairing maybe? A cargo box right? No basket..correct?

My basket is a little loud but I deal with it through ac/dc and what not..
Yes a box definitely. I dont plan on whipping around with it on either but i should invest in a fairing. I see the Yak Fairing is around $60. Small price to pay to keep my hearing.
thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
87 Posts
Scoop's banshee howl

My hood scoop or window seal does the same thing at highway speeds with a good headwind or over 90mph.... its completely awful.

Fairing is the way to go, plus it lets you stick on the stereotypical Subie-owner stickers :p

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
471 Posts
You just put hugely un-aerodynamic pieces of metal on your roof, what did you expect? :D

I am permanently rocking Thule square bars with a bike rail, and it makes a nice noise, but it doesn't bother me due to the symphony of various wind noises that already result from driving an SF at 75 mph. It just complimented the rest of the cacophony. I may get a fairing though, I dunno. There's some kid at my work with an 02 WRX with a snowboard rack and fairing with a shocker sticker and assorted tasteless on it, and I don't want to be associated with that scene lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts