Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 RS
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this 2005 Forester XT from So Cal and brought it back up to Canada and the rad is leaking out of the top plastic cell.

I will price out a stock replacment tommorow.

But is there any other options for replacement that are better (thripple core vs double core etc) or an STI or custom all aluminum rad?

The 99 RS I had for 11 years (bought it new) went through two rads.

·
Registered
99 RS
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey FXT runner, thanks for the hot tip.
I pm'd him just now.
$342.99 from auto source parts store here in town, and it's probely $500 for oem they said.
A discount rad place I checked on-line in the US had them listed for as low as $100. and up.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
I'd stay away from a discount offering, to much to gamble with on getting it right. Just my experience with those was with an older Ford Ranger pickup to save some money. "Multi Fit" crap brackets and the rad cap flange was out of round! Replacement had a pinhole leak in just over a month.

C'mon your XT's worth some pampering now that you have it.

·
Registered
99 RS
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For sure, I don't want to be fiddling around with adaptor brackets as I want it to be a bolt on OEM replacement.

I think I found a used low milage like new OEM rad for $80.00 usd.

·
Registered
05 FXT Broken 5-speed
240 Posts
Just bought this 2005 Forester XT from So Cal and brought it back up to Canada and the rad is leaking out of the top plastic cell.

I will price out a stock replacment tommorow.

But is there any other options for replacement that are better (thripple core vs double core etc) or an STI or custom all aluminum rad?

The 99 RS I had for 11 years (bought it new) went through two rads.
This might interest you:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f153/coming-soon-koyo-aluminum-radiator-03-08-forester-mt-sold-subtle-60471/

Gimmick Motorsports - GMS High Standard Radiator (Powered by CubeCart)

Absubtle
CO

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,595 Posts
Stay with OEM. A lot of the cheap OEM replacements will pop in a matter of months. If you can get one from an '06 - '08, that's better than the original radiator because it has a cap on the top end tank like it should have all along.

·
Registered
05 FORESTER XT
8 Posts
i have the exact issue w/ my 05 xt- top radiator crimp is leaking- im so relieved that its not something a lot worst. my question is, can i use a wrx radiator instead? will the fans' shroud and mounting points of the wrx's radiator similar to that of the xt? thanks!

·
Registered
2011 Forester X AT
4,235 Posts
I'm typically a proponent of OEM, but for radiators I go with radiatorbarn.com. The have quality radiators and you don't have to drop an arm and leg. Many in my family have used them on various imports and never had problems.

I mean, $300 for a new OEM radiator is somewhat ridiculous when you can get one that lasts just as long for $130.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,595 Posts
i have the exact issue w/ my 05 xt- top radiator crimp is leaking- im so relieved that its not something a lot worst. my question is, can i use a wrx radiator instead? will the fans' shroud and mounting points of the wrx's radiator similar to that of the xt? thanks!
You probably could, but it is not a direct swap. You would have to use different radiator hoses, and might have to fab up some other parts to make it fit. I don't see any advantage in trying to do this.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,595 Posts
I'm typically a proponent of OEM, but for radiators I go with radiatorbarn.com. The have quality radiators and you don't have to drop an arm and leg. Many in my family have used them on various imports and never had problems.

I mean, $300 for a new OEM radiator is somewhat ridiculous when you can get one that lasts just as long for $130.
They don't seem to have any forester radiators, just legacy radiators.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X AT
4,235 Posts
They don't seem to have any forester radiators, just legacy radiators.
Search again. You may have missed it in the list.

Specifications
Core Size: 14-3/16 X 27-3/16 X 5/8
Inlet Header: 27-3/4 X 1-9/16
Outlet Header: 27-3/4 X 1-9/16
Inlet Connection: TOP 1-1/2 RIGHT
Outlet Connection: BOTTOM 1-1/2 LEFT
Transmission Oil Cooler: YES
Engine Oil Cooler: NONE
Mounting:
Notes: ONE ROW OE STYLE, PLASTIC TANKS/ALUMINUM CORE
$116.67 2005 SUBARU FORESTER radiator
$0.00 FREE Shipping in the Continental United States