Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2005 forester xt
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is ryan davis and i used to be a senior master tech at johnson Subaru untill they fired me for building hotrods after hours. now i have plenty of time to do what i love best.

·
Registered
2005 forester xt
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
hmmmmm mabe we will start with a TEIN FLEX suspender package, some 18"x8" fno1rc's.

oh.. oh... and then we can strip an STI of its aluminum suspension components and perform some transplant surgery.

these brackets dont actually hold anything.... so they have to go.

·
Registered
2005 forester xt
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ya know what this car needs? how bout some brembo's. first we will yank off these little stock brakes.

oh yeah..... that looks gooder. Nice BIG rotors and 4 piston calipers.

e

·
Registered
2005 forester xt
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
while im collecting parts for the motor build e is developing a subaru specific turbo kit.

CAD drawings of the flange and flapper assembly.

test cut off the CNC machine to make sure it fits correctly.

first flange set cut from 3/4" sheet.

wastegate flapper parts

got the flange assembly for the upper most portion of the downpipe all mocked up and ready to weld..... and now its time for a beer!

first completed flange assembly for the upper most portion of the downpipe

CNC'd flange welded to the prototype uppipe

CNC'd flange on the opposite end of the prototype uppipe

upper most portion of the prototype 3.5" downpipe.

turbo mocked up in the car with the uppipe and downpipe bolted in place.

stay tuned for more progress!

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
Well post a reply to my reply and you'll get there faster. :Banane08:

·
Registered
2005 forester xt
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
went and got some new hardware to mount the turbo in place (we are mocking this up on kens STI)

worked some more on the downpipe tie in to the existing cat back

bought a reducer to transition to 3" from 3.5" but the reducer was made fora transition from 3" to 4" so i had to chop it down to make it work. welded on a stainless 2 bolt flange. so far this is the only flange we havnt had to custom make.

put an angled piece on the reducer and also a flex joint

finished up the downpipe tie in to the existing 3" exhaust..... kind of a bad picture but it turned out really nice.

still need to make another lower exhaust mount, and we might need some heat shields but the turbo is bolted in place and everything fits just fine.

·
Registered
2005 forester xt
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
we have been hunting for quite sometime time for an illusive 2.2 liter sand cast closed deck block from a turbo legacy to use as a starting point for a monster motor build for this forester. we finally found one but unfortunately it was in really rough shape. one of the sleeves has rotated in the bore and left me no window to remove the piston wrist pin. this is really rare. in fact we have never seen it before. i had to strip the block down as far as i could, then set the shortblock up in the mill and make my own hole thru the sleeve to remove the piston wristpin. the other bad thing was the motor was full of what looked and smelled just like vomit. it was so nasty i really didnt even want to put it on the mill. what if that smell never comes out of the mill? lol

·
Registered
2005 forester xt
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
hahaha yeah that block is crazy nasty.....

we finally got my forester back on the fabrication lift at the old shop to finish up this crazy rotated turbo kit.

i started on the brackets to support the weight of this ginormous turbo. had to be super strong, use stock mounting points, and be easy to get to all the bolts.

·
Registered
2005 forester xt
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
tonight we started working on figuring out he inlet piping and MAF sensor. we cut out a large section inside the fender area (thats why theres a bag over the engine) so that we can use the inner fender to house the huge filter and keep the sewer piping out of the engine bay as much as possible. this build is pretty tricky because not only do we have a 4" inlet where we are concerned with MAF resolution but we have to have room to run 4" piping without moving/re-engineering all the stock components. this is basically how we mocked everything up and what we hope it will look like when its all welded in place. Still to be designed are the water lines, oil return, and new power steering lines.

·
Registered
2005 forester xt
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
and here we go with a little more progress on the inlet piping...... the bend that drops into the fender will eventually be welded to a plate that is bolted to the fender so we decided to use a v-band clamp to make it easily removable.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
I know a younger guy that lives over in Cary that is pretty savvy with Integras and other assorted Hot Rods. Ever hear of a guy nicknamed Maverick that drives a black 2 door Integra Sprc?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4eat
545 Posts
can i just say that...

subscribed. and good choice on the closed deck 2.2 thats my favorite engine. kinda makes me miss my old legacy :icon_frown:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts