went and got some new hardware to mount the turbo in place (we are mocking this up on kens STI)
worked some more on the downpipe tie in to the existing cat back
bought a reducer to transition to 3" from 3.5" but the reducer was made fora transition from 3" to 4" so i had to chop it down to make it work. welded on a stainless 2 bolt flange. so far this is the only flange we havnt had to custom make.
put an angled piece on the reducer and also a flex joint
finished up the downpipe tie in to the existing 3" exhaust..... kind of a bad picture but it turned out really nice.
still need to make another lower exhaust mount, and we might need some heat shields but the turbo is bolted in place and everything fits just fine.
we have been hunting for quite sometime time for an illusive 2.2 liter sand cast closed deck block from a turbo legacy to use as a starting point for a monster motor build for this forester. we finally found one but unfortunately it was in really rough shape. one of the sleeves has rotated in the bore and left me no window to remove the piston wrist pin. this is really rare. in fact we have never seen it before. i had to strip the block down as far as i could, then set the shortblock up in the mill and make my own hole thru the sleeve to remove the piston wristpin. the other bad thing was the motor was full of what looked and smelled just like vomit. it was so nasty i really didnt even want to put it on the mill. what if that smell never comes out of the mill? lol
tonight we started working on figuring out he inlet piping and MAF sensor. we cut out a large section inside the fender area (thats why theres a bag over the engine) so that we can use the inner fender to house the huge filter and keep the sewer piping out of the engine bay as much as possible. this build is pretty tricky because not only do we have a 4" inlet where we are concerned with MAF resolution but we have to have room to run 4" piping without moving/re-engineering all the stock components. this is basically how we mocked everything up and what we hope it will look like when its all welded in place. Still to be designed are the water lines, oil return, and new power steering lines.
and here we go with a little more progress on the inlet piping...... the bend that drops into the fender will eventually be welded to a plate that is bolted to the fender so we decided to use a v-band clamp to make it easily removable.