Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a one owner 2004 XT on Monday. I spoke with the seller for about a week before buying. The motor was rebuilt in mid-2019: heads rebuilt by one of the best machine shops here, new valve train and port matched; new timing belt, water pump, new head gaskets; ice cold AC; new tires, struts, bar end links and new brakes. I have a stack of receipts from the rebuild and maintenance receipts from day of sale. All the necessary work was already done. It drives great and handles like new. I probably paid more than I should have but I probably will have a car that will give few problems for the next 100K miles. The body is a 7.5 and the interior a 9.0. A few dings and scratches and the paint is faded in a couple of spots but the body is solid. I'm happy with the purchase.

L1006293 (3)_LI.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very nice. I also just picked up the same car a couple weeks ago. With a bunch of scratches. I’m in the process of re-painting the roof rails all black to blend in with the car. Do you have plans for it or you leaving it stock?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m really not sure how I will proceed yet. It is pretty well set up for daily driving right now. I wasn’t looking to buy something, just cruising through Craigslist, OfferUp and letgo. This came up and I asked about it. I may not have been looking for something but once I took for a drive, I was hooked. The motor was really strong and it was quick. The handling was tight and it stopped fast, too. I had to have it. I am okay with trading good mechanicals over really good looks.

To your question of any mods, it really depends if I’m going to make it a part time off road car.

·
Registered
04 Forester XT 5MT
81 Posts
Congrats on a solid purchase. Mine also had some dings, dents and such, but the Java Black Pearl still pops when the sun hits it. You could do a lot with a good polishing wheel and some time to bring some life back to that paint. As long as you are happy with it, that is all that counts. But remember, stock is no fun.:LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats on a solid purchase. Mine also had some dings, dents and such, but the Java Black Pearl still pops when the sun hits it. You could do a lot with a good polishing wheel and some time to bring some life back to that paint. As long as you are happy with it, that is all that counts. But remember, stock is no fun.:LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:
Yeah, clay bar this weekend, I hope, then a bit of rubbing compound and polish. I'm looking at a lot of the posts here to see what more I might want to do. Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I clay barred the paint yesterday and it really made a difference. Applied rubbing compound on several areas on the hood where the bra was. I think it was on the car from day one. I really dislike those things. A little polish and wax this week.

Getting the car registered and the title transferred is really tough during the shutdown here. Everything is done by mail. The DMV is a nightmare in person, having to do everything by mail is sure to be a horror show.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Painted the trim panel on the rear hatch and the C-pillar trim. Sanded, degreased and cleaned the panels then a couple of coats of adhesion promoter. Sprayed on four light coats of Duplicolor Storm Gray paint and then three light coats of clear. Not too bad. I like it debadged. The panels were peeling from sun damage and half the letters and badges had fallen off. Here’s a look at the rear hatch. Since the mechanicals are set up nicely, I’m just working on some cosmetic stuff. It is due for paint but I can wait on that for a bit. It still presents fairly well, just a few so-so spots.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts