Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

121 - 126 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Very nice!! I’m interested in what gains you get. An STI TMIC and a STi RSB are my next on my mod list. Just got tint done today! Post and photos to come. So they will have to wait.

Did you get all the proper piping to go with yours? I see you got the STi bov. The specific bits are why I haven’t pulled the trigger yet want to make sure I have everything necessary.

Can I ask where you found yours and how much?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Very nice!! I’m interested in what gains you get. An STI TMIC and a STi RSB are my next on my mod list. Just got tint done today! Post and photos to come. So they will have to wait.

Did you get all the proper piping to go with yours? I see you got the STi bov. The specific bits are why I haven’t pulled the trigger yet want to make sure I have everything necessary.

Can I ask where you found yours and how much?
I found it on ebay, paid $300 shipped, it's in pretty decent shape, came with the y-pipe and the 90 degree elbow to hook to the turbo, also both in good shape. It's the older, smaller STI intercooler which i was hoping would be easier to fit in the available space. The BPV was $30 used maybe? Cleaned up nicely with steel wool. I also grabbed a BPV gasket for $5 shipped and a throttle body gasket since i'll need to remove that, plus my tuner noticed a tiny leak in that area, I'll probably bypass the TB coolant altogether. But yeah, I hear you on the different bits! I looked over everything tonight in the engine bay and i just need the recirculation hose going from the turbo inlet pipe to the BPV. I was considering alternative solutions - for instance removing the metal pipe under the TB and coupling the 2 existing rubber hoses - but i think i'll bite the bullet and get the hose. I've come this far. the part number for that hose is 99071AC540 or 99071AC541 (541 is revision part it appears).

Good luck! I will definitely post the gains once the tune happens - i'd expect a few months on that since tuning appointments are normally booked pretty far out.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Decided to start the intercooler install tonight - turned into the whole thing. Wasnt so bad, likely helped that i had the smaller early 00's STI version and all the parts, and also, that one 10mm bolt under the throttle body - it wasn't there lol. The car mod gods were on my side tonight. Early indications are good!! All my Access Port readings look good, timing still at full advance, no knock issues, no money lights. Butt dyno reading is good. Car feels more eager all around the boost range. Still, a tune and dyno sheet are a must in the near future!

Parts together...

Post install...

The vacuum hose that's a bit of a pain....

Other end of that hose (bottom left, fat one)....

the old vacuum hose....

Here's the turbo to IC hose - the silicone one it came with worked fine - aftermarket maybe?

Close up

Also removed the Throttle Body coolant circuit. So the block has a bypass hose now, for which I used one of the existing hoses. Here's the removed coolant hose. This was a 2 minute job with the intercooler and TB off.'

Hack preventative measure for AC line contact - for now at least - will get something more appropriate but it works.

Here's the stock XT intercooler. I always thought this y pipe was ugly as sin - not that anyone ever sees it, but still....

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Driving around this weekend (still pre re-tune) the impression i get is that it's making power more smoothly under boost. It feels more constant and smooth vs previously under high boost it kinda felt like it was giving it all and barely keeping up at times. Looking to forward to seeing if the torque/power curve reflects this on the dyno or if the butt dyno needs calibrating!!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Was time to adjust the accessory and AC belts (were screeching on cold start up). Accessory belt (alternator, PS) is a cinch but the A/C tensioner pulley bolt can be a bit tricky to get to without removing the radiator fan

...unless you have the special tool. 😄 The trick is the get your angle right between the wrench and vice grips, and you can reach right down to the a/c idler pulley, loosen it, then turn the adjuster bolt up top to tighten the belt, and then retighten the idler pulley with your professional grade special tool!

121 - 126 of 126 Posts
About this Discussion
125 Replies
15 Participants
NinoS
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing