Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

121 - 140 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT 4EAT
260 Posts
Very nice!! I’m interested in what gains you get. An STI TMIC and a STi RSB are my next on my mod list. Just got tint done today! Post and photos to come. So they will have to wait.

Did you get all the proper piping to go with yours? I see you got the STi bov. The specific bits are why I haven’t pulled the trigger yet want to make sure I have everything necessary.

Can I ask where you found yours and how much?

·
Registered
2005 Forester X and XT Manual and Auto
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Very nice!! I’m interested in what gains you get. An STI TMIC and a STi RSB are my next on my mod list. Just got tint done today! Post and photos to come. So they will have to wait.

Did you get all the proper piping to go with yours? I see you got the STi bov. The specific bits are why I haven’t pulled the trigger yet want to make sure I have everything necessary.

Can I ask where you found yours and how much?
I found it on ebay, paid $300 shipped, it's in pretty decent shape, came with the y-pipe and the 90 degree elbow to hook to the turbo, also both in good shape. It's the older, smaller STI intercooler which i was hoping would be easier to fit in the available space. The BPV was $30 used maybe? Cleaned up nicely with steel wool. I also grabbed a BPV gasket for $5 shipped and a throttle body gasket since i'll need to remove that, plus my tuner noticed a tiny leak in that area, I'll probably bypass the TB coolant altogether. But yeah, I hear you on the different bits! I looked over everything tonight in the engine bay and i just need the recirculation hose going from the turbo inlet pipe to the BPV. I was considering alternative solutions - for instance removing the metal pipe under the TB and coupling the 2 existing rubber hoses - but i think i'll bite the bullet and get the hose. I've come this far. the part number for that hose is 99071AC540 or 99071AC541 (541 is revision part it appears).

Good luck! I will definitely post the gains once the tune happens - i'd expect a few months on that since tuning appointments are normally booked pretty far out.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Decided to start the intercooler install tonight - turned into the whole thing. Wasnt so bad, likely helped that i had the smaller early 00's STI version and all the parts, and also, that one 10mm bolt under the throttle body - it wasn't there lol. The car mod gods were on my side tonight. Early indications are good!! All my Access Port readings look good, timing still at full advance, no knock issues, no money lights. Butt dyno reading is good. Car feels more eager all around the boost range. Still, a tune and dyno sheet are a must in the near future!

Parts together...

Post install...

The vacuum hose that's a bit of a pain....

Other end of that hose (bottom left, fat one)....

the old vacuum hose....

Here's the turbo to IC hose - the silicone one it came with worked fine - aftermarket maybe?

Close up

Also removed the Throttle Body coolant circuit. So the block has a bypass hose now, for which I used one of the existing hoses. Here's the removed coolant hose. This was a 2 minute job with the intercooler and TB off.'

Hack preventative measure for AC line contact - for now at least - will get something more appropriate but it works.

Here's the stock XT intercooler. I always thought this y pipe was ugly as sin - not that anyone ever sees it, but still....

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Driving around this weekend (still pre re-tune) the impression i get is that it's making power more smoothly under boost. It feels more constant and smooth vs previously under high boost it kinda felt like it was giving it all and barely keeping up at times. Looking to forward to seeing if the torque/power curve reflects this on the dyno or if the butt dyno needs calibrating!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Was time to adjust the accessory and AC belts (were screeching on cold start up). Accessory belt (alternator, PS) is a cinch but the A/C tensioner pulley bolt can be a bit tricky to get to without removing the radiator fan

...unless you have the special tool. 😄 The trick is the get your angle right between the wrench and vice grips, and you can reach right down to the a/c idler pulley, loosen it, then turn the adjuster bolt up top to tighten the belt, and then retighten the idler pulley with your professional grade special tool!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Update on the tune - everything went OK, no explosions, but the STI intercooler alone did absolutely nothing as far as max power (down 2hp). Power across the entire power band is about the same story. Today was pretty hot, so this could be well within run to run variance, but it surely didn't help much. I still say it feels a bit smoother and more at ease under power, but nothing on the dyno sheet backs this up.

on a side note - every time I go to the dyno, my dyno sheet has different values for the horizontal reference lines going across - makes for some false alarm moments - "Hey wait we made more power at 4K RPM!!! Oh no, nevermind. That's just a different graph line value...."

Also worth noting - the previous tune used 7-eleven 93 octane, the current tune used Shell 93 V-power. Make what you will of that.

Moving forward, the STI intercooler stays, mainly in anticipation of one day going for the bigger turbo route, with injectors to support it. Just going to enjoy this car for a bit as is.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Car is doing great, cleaned up the curb rash some more (dremel, sanding, paint) but here's an odd phenomenon.....

A few weeks back i removed the turbo to fix the kinked oil drain hose. It was still draining, no issues, but worrisome, so i went ahead and took care of it. After reinstalling the turbo, the car feels like it's exhibiting better daily driving characteristics. Better low end response, less gear hunting from the transmission. Maybe an air leak somewhere was cleared up on reinstall? Or maybe i'm crazy.....

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Went to Walmart the other day and wound up walking out with a 240w (600w "peak") amp. It actually hits pretty hard for budget gear, but the 6x9 pieced together subs I was using didn't stand a chance. Today grabbed a low end 12" for $30, then a precut speaker box for another $30, and installed that bad boy in the trunk. It's on velcro mounts for easy removal. Also had a grill laying around that i adapted for this purpose. Anyway, this thing will make real audio hobbyists groan but it thumps! I Nice hearing stuff that you never heard before in albums, and I also enjoy throwing on some bass heavy tunes from time to time.

Excuse the dog hair!

So the underseat 6x9 is retired - it was a homemade spare parts special anyway - and the stock location trunk 6x9 (it's not the stock sub, but it's not a good one either) i'll just disconnect and bridge the 12".

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
These are IAG AVCS Camshaft sensor delete plugs - exhaust side. Intake AVCS is hooked up. Was starting to get the occasional drop of oil from the one of the sensors again. I went ahead and grabbed these to take care of it once and for all. The bolt holes don't perfectly line up with the 2.0 holes - which is odd as they are supposed to be for 02-05 AVCS WRX. I had to grind the bolt hole maybe 1mm so these would fit my JDM 2.0. Fortunately the actual sensor diameter - the sealed area - is the same so functionally they are good to go - problem solved.

cover1.jpg

cover2.jpg
cover3.jpg

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Ever since i purchased this car the front end has been a bit hacked together. Looked decent, but close inspection revealed broken headlight mounts, sketchy diy mounting screws, etc. So i purchased a pair of those ebay headlights and reassembled the front end. The lights are perfectly fine. My grill doesn't need zip ties anymore! The driver side still needs some TLC. Pretty sure this car took a hit at some point.

20191101_225508.jpg

20191101_225515.jpg

20191101_225526.jpg

20191102_125344.jpg

20191102_125354.jpg

20191102_125420.jpg

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
More work on the foz. Painted rotors with high temp paint. If the car makes it to ever needing new rotors ill upgrade to some powerstops which dont rust, love them on my mazda, but cant justify replacing perfectly good (but ugly) rotors. The pad area wore off perfectly on the first drive, as demonstrated by various youtube vids. Did all 4 corners over 2 days.

Also installed a dash cam. Only running liability insurance on this car! Might see about getting an oem style wire guide to cover the wire coming down from the headliner.

20191102_162013.jpg

20191103_210325.jpg

Been browsing alot of VF43's, VF48's, etc.....:p

·
Registered
2004 XT
12 Posts
Maybe I haven't done enough research, but painting the contact patch of a rotor sounds like a really bad idea. Did the paint just rub off after the first drive? I wonder if the paint would leave any residue on your brake pads.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #135 (Edited)
Maybe I haven't done enough research, but painting the contact patch of a rotor sounds like a really bad idea. Did the paint just rub off after the first drive? I wonder if the paint would leave any residue on your brake pads.
It absolutely does rub off after the first drive. I was concerned myself, my plan was to tape it all off and only paint the center area outside the contact patch, but researching before the project I became comfortable letting it rub off. Brakes have been perfectly fine since - plus as a side effect, it looks better after the first drive than my masking job probably would have.

Edit: I happen to be off today, so here's a pic on how it ends up after a drive....
Front.JPG

·
Registered
2004 XT
12 Posts
It absolutely does rub off after the first drive. I was concerned myself, my plan was to tape it all off and only paint the center area outside the contact patch, but researching before the project I became comfortable letting it rub off. Brakes have been perfectly fine since - plus as a side effect, it looks better after the first drive than my masking job probably would have.

Edit: I happen to be off today, so here's a pic on how it ends up after a drive....
View attachment 525816
Your brake pads did a great job of scraping off the paint. I'm sure your brake pads have a nice coat of silver on them too.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Your brake pads did a great job of scraping off the paint. I'm sure your brake pads have a nice coat of silver on them too.
The pads, just like the rotor surface, will not have paint on them. Dont do it to your car if you think its a safety issue, as with anything else. But the fact is, the brakes are quiet and working great as they were after I initially did the brakes awhile back.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
New passenger fender due to the original being dented and filled. This sucker was $50 primed and shipped. No major fitment issues. The only thing i noticed is where it meets the A-pillar it looks like the stock one comes up a couple mm higher towards the A pillar.

Rattle canned it, clear coated, and mounted it up....certainly not a pro match and paint job but i'm satisfied with the result! Maybe a bit more buffing is in order. oh yeah found a critter nest behind the lower door plastic trim pieces when i pulled off the small fender trim piece. Was able to vacuum all that out, no damage done.

20191110_192704.jpg

121 - 140 of 168 Posts