Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

81 - 100 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
What 2.5_sleeper said, should only need a couple light slaps to the wheel but dont knock your teeth out, it can move when it frees up!
I went with an AGM battery , Platinum Autozone sumthing, and an XT alternator, maintain 14.1 under load and high 13's otherwise, no worries starting with drastic tempchanges and very easy install.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Was getting sick of the android stereo and it's lackluster audio, along with slow response time for anything but the basic features, and also the fact it required trimming the OEM bezel was bugging me. Clear case of "buy cheap buy twice" or however the saying goes. Anyway picked up a pioneer headunit that fits perfectly with the stock bezel, and is nice and responsive. This was my gift to myself after exercising some restraint at the Legoland "Big Store" (So many amazing sets!)

Installed, looking clean and working nicely....sounds very respectable.

Oh yeah - that "power antenna" wire that i always wired up on previous installs, but wondered if it was really needed since i don't have an antenna that moves up and down......yup you need it. That power is for the AM radio antenna, needed for AM reception. I performed an "experiment" this time to be sure :wink2: Will complete said experiment next time i get back there to install a small amp for the currently unused stock rear subwoofer. The new HU has a built in crossover so might as well put it to use. I've seen the underseat installs but i'd prefer to get the stock SW working first in the interest of completeness.

This switch will turn the subwoofer amp on and off....was going to use it for the DVD parking brake bypass but instead bought one of those $10 automatic bypasses. Pioneer units cannot just be grounded for the parking brake bypass, they've wisened up to this trick.
switch.jpg

Aux cable from stereo and USB C power jack (straight from fusebox)....
top.jpg

....and USB to stereo in the center console box...
usb.jpg

In closing, thank the lord for the automatic climate controls - so much easier dealing with the stereo install with these vs the manual climate control mechanical ones. Especially since i had to swap out the controls to the new bezel, which was very easy with the auto controls -no fiddling, just 4 screws and can be done on the bench.

Attachments

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Subwoofer is alive!! Also AM radio + on the move DVD

Hooked up the antenna power wire - for this stereo it's the same wire as "power amp remote control" hence the confusion. Anyway AM radio now works great.

I also hooked up a power amp for the stock rear subwoofer. I bought a small 100w 2ch power amp, so I can possibly add another sub later under the seat or somewhere. But even just using one channel (not sure if bridgeable, didn't try), it works great!

The stock sub itself is not anything special at all, but once you use crossovers to high pass the door speakers they really start sounding good, meanwhile the sub can handle all the bass better than the door speakers ever did. I have the fronts high passed around 250hz, rears around 125hz, and sub low passed at 150hz - the result is better than I ever expected - the crossover makes all the difference - I would not expect much improvement if you are going to just hook up the subwoofer without a crossover to ease the load on the main speakers.

Even bass heavy hip hop tunes can be cranked loud and sound clear and somewhat powerful. No i won't be winning any competitions, but for a low end model stereo, 100w amp and fully stock speakers, it's a great result - good enough to get some eyes rolling at stoplights "....listen to that idiot... :laugh:"

While i was in there, rewired the parking brake bypass switch and it now works. I was previously using the blue remote control wire per some youtube video and may have had it on the wrong lug on the switch. Anyway i removed that, and have ground to ground lug, green to ACC lug, and it works. You have to flip it on, wait a second, and flip it off and the stereo thinks you're released the brake - it's on a timer apparently which is why just grounding the green wire won't work. Works great (see previous post for pic).

Amp mounted just behind the HVAC controls with some double sided tape....
amp.jpg amomount.jpg

And here is the stock subwoofer connector (no longer used). In my car, it only had the +/- wires for the one sub, so very simple. Just cut the connector off and hook your power amp speaker outs for one channel to these wires. Then powered my power amp from the yellow stereo power wire, and also hooked up the blue control wire to the power amp, so spliced in with the antenna power in my case, and also spliced in the ground from the power amp to the stereo ground.
conn1.jpg conn2.jpg

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I'm still on vacation, which is why you keep seeing updates here at a higher rate that normal cluttering up the active topics list! Anyway had a day to myself so decided to go ahead and get the car tinted for the coming summer (and who am I kidding, it looks cool). It's Flex Film tint with a lifetime warranty - 50% up front (legal) and 20% everywhere else. I don't like any darker in the back window for night driving and I also kinda prefer the "could be stock" look vs 5% blacked out - which i have on my daughter's 03X and I'm starting to think it's a bit over the top.

anyway, some pictures after i got it home... blaring the new stereo and now functional sub all the way home of course...loving it!

Attachments

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
Wife asked today "are you just looking for things to do to this car?!?!". Well, some days yes (e.g. tint) but not in this case and i had the bad part to prove it....

Exhibit A..transmission mount, notice the bushing is GONE...
20190525_125759_compress4_1558827526702.jpg

Was noticing at stop lights excess vibration in the car, when stopped in drive. The car does have 1 non-OEM axle which supposedly will cause this (how/if this actually happens argued in various forums but there are some success stories of guys going back to OEM axles and it clearing up). Anyway, the transmission mount seemed like a likely culprit. It's obviously bad from the pic above. Showed wife to prove i'm not completely mad lol!

New one...actually has bushing...
20190525_125803_compress20_1558827795260.jpg

After the swap the car is much better when stopped in drive! No more vibrations. Part was $37 from oreilly's (Power Torque was the brand, part#: A9074) so very happy with the result.

Easy job..took me 2 hours and could have been quicker. Its 6x14mm bolts on the crossmember, then 4x12mm bolts going into tranny. Then you can take crossmember and mount out as one piece, and then easily deal with the 4x14mm nuts for the mount to crossmember on the bench (hard to access on car). Installation is idiot proof due to bolt hole pattern. Of course had transmission jacked up a bit before loosening any bolts. I did the job on ramps, not bad at all.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Since i had an unused power amp channel (which especially coming from tube amps as a guitarist, always makes me nervous), I made an underseat subwoofer from an old home stereo powered sub I had laying around. Removed the built in power amp, cut down the box, and rewired the inputs going straight to the speaker...works well enough!

20190526_133217.jpg

Glamour shot at the dog park...
20190526_131407.jpg

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Coming along nicely! Is it me or are the headlights fuzzy? I did replacement housings but am debating LED bulbs.
They probably are still a bit fuzzy. I did give them a round of sanding and reseal awhile back but not my finest job ever, much better than they were though.

I hadn't thought about LCD bulbs but maybe when these go out that's something to consider!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Very nice!

I should hire you to do my stereo. The wiring and electric work has prevented me from doing an upgrade.

Also the tint looks great. I’m on the verge of getting mine done if I make time for it. The POs tint is blue and faded.
Thanks on the tint! Yup i think i chose the right level and they did a nice job. The wiring is not too bad as long as you have a diagram. I used crimps mostly on this install but i think i prefer solder and heatshrink, just feels more complete to me. If you've never done your own swap, once you get in there and start seeing how everything goes, you'll realize you can do it. Plus you can buy a wiring harness specific to subaru, and wire all that up to the new stereo harness on the bench, which makes it much easier than dealing with it in the car. Once you've done that, the hard part is over!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Still considering which to go with, I want the fogs in LED if possible too but there are so many opinions on whats good or not.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
So i ordered some $39.95 ebay fitted mudflaps. Wasn't expecting much but they surprised me. Decent flexible plastic, and they fit much better than I expected given the price range. No modifications required. I did go and get some new $4 plastic clips since my OEM ones were brittle.

Before I considered painting, wanted to see if they fit...

CloseRearUnpainted.jpg CloseFrontUnpainted.jpg

Then took them off and primed/painted (just wet primer here)
Primer.jpg

Painted and Installed....... paint is not an exact subaru color, rather some GM silver that has served me well on this car for inconspicuous plastic spots.

FrontPainted2.jpg
OtherSidePainted.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
761 Posts
81 - 100 of 126 Posts
About this Discussion
125 Replies
15 Participants
NinoS
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing