Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a weird problem with the wife's 2010.
When I first start the engine from stone cold it makes a real grumbling kinda noise for about 30 sec,won't do it the rest of the day or until it completely cools back down. (didn't do this when I first got it)
Can't really show it too the dealer unless I leave it or truck it there cold.
Kinda got me worried because none of my other Subaru's have ever done this.

Anybody else have anything like this happen?

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Yeah, my 09 grumbles on cold starts too, especially in the mornings, for about 15 secs. To me, it sounds like a symptom of a rich fuel mixture, but it's more evident on cold starts. I think a "little" rich is common on these engines. It might account for the grumbling. I noticed a bit more soot on the tailpipes too, which kind of confirms my suspicions, that Subaru is shipping engines a little more rich than lean.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Is it a PZEV? They are known to make quite a racket on a cold start to accelerate warm-up of the cats.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Mine is a PZEV and grumbles on the cold start. I figured there was a reason for the racket.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,389 Posts
I have the PZEV and mine makes no noise on startup. But I understand many do.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
I have the PZEV and mine makes no noise on startup. But I understand many do.
Not really a noise. More like a Grr-rumble. Sounds almost like a V8 engine for the first 10 seconds. Sounds like a Forestang!

This is exaggerated (I don't grumble nearly as much as vid), but same kind of grumbling I'm talking about.

YouTube - Mustang 66 - V8 - new sound

1 - 10 of 10 Posts