Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester STI 6 Speed Manual
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some of you may have seen this over on NASIOC, but I decided to post it here as well.

After realizing the impracticality of having a two seater as my only car, I decided to purchase my first Subaru for my 17th birthday. It was a wrecked 1999 Forester that taught me a great deal of body work and happily carried me over 30k miles in the year I owned it. Missing sporty-ier cars and with frequent mountain driving I went through several bugeye WRX's; an 02 WRB sedan, an 03 BMP sedan and later an 03 PSM wagon, but I always missed the Forester.

In August 2012 the pieces started to arrive for what I now call the FSTI. I purchased a wrecked 2005 STI from an insurance auction in Texas, a 2001 Forester S Premium that had mild front end damage (I wanted the mono tone, large sunroof and side impact airbags that only came on the S Premium) and on it's way from Japan was all the front body work for a JDM Forester STI II Limited.

UPDATE May 2015: Well my worst nightmare happened last September when I first moved to Maryland, I was involved in an accident and with damage to both front frame rails and the rear 1/4 panel the car was a total loss. Needless to say I bought the car back and negotiated as hard as I could with everyone involved's insurance companies to get a fair price. All the mechanical parts (excluding the condenser, radiator, fans, belts, timing belt cover, etc.) survived the accident and i have since swapped them all over to my new chassis; another 2001 S Premium this time in white!

My 2001 Subaru Forester S Premium with full 2005 USDM STI Swap

Engine:
2005 STi EJ257 2.5L motor
Gates Racing Blue Timing belt kit
2008 STi 11mm Oil pump
JDM TGV deletes
Cobb Accessport V2 running a stage 1 map
Cobb turbo heat shield
Red Perrin turbo inlet hose
Red Samco Sport turbo-intercooler hose
Perrin foam air filter

Drivetrain:

2005 STi 6MT w/R180 rear diff and DCCD
Kartboy shifter bushings
2005 STi full suspension (struts, springs, cross members, aluminum control arms, lateral links, sway bars, steering rack etc.)
Paranoid fabrications 3/8 rear strut spacers
Rear camber bolts
Whiteline steering rack bushings
Whiteline sway bar end links front + rear
Whiteline sway bar bushings front + rear
2005 STi 5x114.3 hubs/uprights/axels
2005 STi Brembos front/rear
2005 STi brake master cylinder/booster/ABS
2005 STi stock BBS rims

Interior/Exterior:

2005 STi full dash, center console, peddles, etc.
JDM Red hazards switch
2005 USDM STi seats
2007 STi Limited Stereo with Aux input
JDM Forester STi II Limited front clip (Clear corners, headlights, grille, hood w/scoop, fenders w/markers)
JDM Forester STi II Limited Bumpers front + rear and side skirts (NOT CURRENTLY INSTALLED)
Thule roof rack with ski racks/bike trays
Trailer Hitch

·
Gone but not forgotten. RIP.
2005 XT 4EAT
261 Posts
Mmmmm... Very nice. May need to take a look in person once I go up to check out Ft. Collins for school.

·
Registered
2000 Forester S 5 Speed Manual
49 Posts
Looks great! Nice mods

I agree, some spacers might really set it off nicely, but again, awesome.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, everyone!

Mmmmm... Very nice. May need to take a look in person once I go up to check out Ft. Collins for school.
Sweet, I'm actually a full time student at CSU. Feel free to message me when you come up.

Looks fantastic! :bacon:
My only criticism is that it would look even better with some wheel spacers to fill out the big SF fenders better.
I hadn't actually thought about that, but I agree it's not a bad idea and it would help offset the wider rear track.

Thought I'd share where I started, the Forester shell when I bought it:

The PO did some "tasteful" mods :icon_eek: AutoZone generic CAI, Awful muffler, lots and lots of stickers, blacked out taillights and some great color matching on the rear bumper!

The STi at auction:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Always like to see DIY swap projects like this. First time I've seen GD STi wheels on an SF, too. Pretty sweet!
Thanks, the one advantage to using the 05 STI like I did is the 114.3mm BBS's aren't near as expensive as the 5x100's. I'm thinking goldies for my summers and the curbed silvers that are on it now for winters.

Welcome my brother!
Thanks, seams we've got similar ideas on what the Forester should be!

Thats beautiful, good job
Thanks, I'll post up some pictures that better post the fitment soon. I was really hesitant to do the dash swap at first over wiring the old one, but am really glad I did.

·
Registered
1997 Forester S/tb 5 speed
1,350 Posts
It really brings the car up to date! My SF5 interior looks quite dated, I may even consider this one day... in years to come haha there are many other things I need to do before even considering that. But wow, looks beautiful from I can see, I'd love to see how it matches up with the doors and stuff, of course I'd have to get a JDM STi dash if I ever wanted to do this since mines from Japan, but just knowing this is a potential future mod is awesome. Kudos to you for making the attempt and succeeding! :rock:

·
Registered
2001 Sorta Frush Forester 4EAT
1,779 Posts
youre so close to me! i might venture out to see thise beauty! ever come out to utah? im jealous of the powerplant you have there!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts