Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2008 2.5l XS Premium
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I recently bought a 2nd hand Forester 2008 XS Premium. The tyres appear new but everytime I take a turn - even at low speeds, the tyres squeal.

Any ideas as to why ?

:icon_eek:

Regards,
Robert.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,160 Posts
Hi

I recently bought a 2nd hand Forester 2008 XS Premium. The tyres appear new but everytime I take a turn - even at low speeds, the tyres squeal.

Any ideas as to why ?

:icon_eek:

Regards,
Robert.
The stock tires (Yokohama Geolander) are notorious for a squishy ride and squealing in protest under moderate cornering. They're decent tires for highway driving but they're definitely not performance oriented.

·
Registered
2008 2.5l XS Premium
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the feedback.

Someone also said I should get the alignment looked at - apparently this may cause the squealing as well.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,503 Posts
If they are Geolandars give yourself a break and dump them - they're crap. Useful for keeping your rims off the road but that's all.

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,752 Posts
Thanks guys for the feedback.

Someone also said I should get the alignment looked at - apparently this may cause the squealing as well.
Indeed, that's the most common problem. But make sure the alignment is done WELL (i.e., barely keeping it "within specs" is not good enough).

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
What pressures are you running? They squeal less if you inflate them properly.

·
Registered
2011 Forester Slushbox
25 Posts
Care to elaborate on that Dude? Just curious before I pitch the Yokos on my 2006. If I go around a corner driving like a granny, cops will break their necks looking for the "kid out hot rodding":icon_eek:
Alignment shop that I trust says it's right down the middle on the specs... I'm just curious what alignment problem would cause the issue. Only things I could think of is toe, camber or caster wayyyyyy off.
Zippy
BTW are you ordained in Dudeism?

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
they're referred to as Geosquealers for good reason... mine would scream at me around just about any corner if the pavement conditions were condusive.
If the toe or caster are out of whack, those would be your primary causes for squealing tires while turning. Camber surprisingly wouldn't play as big a role as you'd think in tire squealing in any situation other that stop-turning.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
My OEM P225/55R17 95H Geolander G95's must be defective. :icon_wink: With just over 10K miles on 'em, I haven't heard a peep -- er, squeal -- out of 'em. I'm probably a fairly conservative driver, but they do get jinked around now and then. Wear is even, so alignment is probably OK, and I keep them inflated at ~32-34 in front and ~30-32 in the rear.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2008 2.5l XS Premium
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can confirm that I have Geolander G900's.

Also, the front tyres are underinflated from standard 29 PSI - one at 27 and one at 22 - guy who sold me the car didn't pump them up properly - have fully inflated and will test to see if helps.

Anyway, at next tyre change the Geolanders are in the bin !!! Saw LOTS of bad reviews for them on the net - squealing is the order of the day.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,503 Posts
I can confirm that I have Geolander G900's.

Also, the front tyres are underinflated from standard 29 PSI - one at 27 and one at 22 - guy who sold me the car didn't pump them up properly - have fully inflated and will test to see if helps.

Anyway, at next tyre change the Geolanders are in the bin !!! Saw LOTS of bad reviews for them on the net - squealing is the order of the day.
It's not just the squealing that is the problem - they also have poor grip, especially in the wet. They're dangerous.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts