Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester Automatic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I was driving on the interstate when my subie started shaking and the check engine light started flashing. I drove it home and the next day I replaced the spark plugs. The car shakes at idle and at certain rpms, especially at higher speeds. It has also been low on power. Yesterday the car suddenly started really sputtering and it seemed to be receiving insufficient fuel when accelerating. The car only creeps forward and then when it gets to a higher rpm then it suddenly roars up and gets going. I don't know what is wrong, whether it's a fuel problem or an ignition problem. Please help me out if you have any idea what my problem might be.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X and XT Manual and Auto
939 Posts
I know this is probably obvious but have you checked the oil? My 03X when i first got it started running horribly, sputtering, engine light, etc one drive. I got out and checked the oil and it was off the dipstick. Poured some oil in and 100k miles later (and a 100qts of oil or so) car is still good.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X RWD JDM 6mt
454 Posts
Solid check engine light is just indication of a code fault that is present in the ECU.
A flashing check engine light means there is a active misfire. Flashing in the hopes of catching your attention to pull over and stop, not keep driving.

Sounds to me like very bad detonation, probably fuel related.
You should get the codes pulled and read so we can see what they are.

Other culprits. Huge vacuum leak. Clogged catalytic converter(s)

·
Registered
2004 Forester Automatic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The oil is perfectly good.
I will try to get the codes read asap. Otherwise I'll try to avoid driving it for now.
Will let you know what the codes read
Thanks for your opinions so far

·
Registered
2000 Forester 4eat
108 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I was driving on the interstate when my subie started shaking and the check engine light started flashing. I drove it home and the next day I replaced the spark plugs. The car shakes at idle and at certain rpms, especially at higher speeds. It has also been low on power. Yesterday the car suddenly started really sputtering and it seemed to be receiving insufficient fuel when accelerating. The car only creeps forward and then when it gets to a higher rpm then it suddenly roars up and gets going. I don't know what is wrong, whether it's a fuel problem or an ignition problem. Please help me out if you have any idea what my problem might be.
When was the last time your intake was cleaned? Mine was causing problems where they car would not idle up and I think it is the reason to be on Alternator number 6 yes SIX since January of 2016. Now the car idles higher when the accessories kick on. Car runs smoother and is not shaking as bad.

·
Registered
2004 Forester Automatic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scanned the codes this morning and I am getting codes P0302 and P0303, so cylinder 2&3 misfire. I don't know if that additional information could be useful in getting closer to diagnosing the problem. Let me know

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,941 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester Automatic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Replaced the ignition coil yesterday along with one of the spark plugs that was still having issues after the coil was replaced.
Running good so far!
Thanks for the help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts