Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Prem CVT
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lol, of course it's not hybrid, I know. BUT
I'm still on my very first tank that was filled during purchase last week, so the car is in break in period. And yesterday on highway going at around 60-65 I've noticed MPG was above 42 for avg for that trip!!! I'm very very impressed. Took a picture couple minutes later to share here. Does anybody have similar MPG on highways? This is way above than what's in the book. Can't complain :rock:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
I would not put too much focus on the digital fuel economy. It serves as a good guide, but it is not incredibly accurate. Actual economy was probably not that good.

Best way is to check by the tank filling up until the pump clicks off at the same station and same pump for the best accuracy. My digital display is usually 1.5 - 2 mpg higher than the actual MPG for each tank.

I have seen 38 mpg on a trip in my XT.

·
Registered
2014 Forester X 6spd
323 Posts
I've averaged 34mpg coming back from the mountains and the last tank I averaged 30.1mpg just driving back and fourth to work. Not too shabby IMO.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to know, I would't think digital display would show higher than actual...
Once the engine breaks in I will start measuring with pump and miles to see how much it will be off from what it actually shows.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I have also noted that the digital MPG is slightly higher than what I calculate.

I also get reduced MPG performance when setting my tire pressure to the recommended spec rather than the over inflated pressure that was in the tires from the factory. I suspect they sell the cars with excess tire pressure so customers will be happy with the MPG right off the lot.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT CVT
366 Posts
I've had my XL for two weeks and have one long highway drive where the MPG on the display was 33. My average city driving is coming in at 25.

LOL on the Hybrid comment. One think I have experienced is how quiet and smooth the acceleration is with the turbo/CVT combination. I almost feel like I'm driving an electric car.:icon_razz:

·
Registered
2016 Impeza 5 speed
111 Posts
I'm getting 28 to 34 real from tank to tank. 26 to 33 on the computer. Still better than I saw on the window. I also have a 6 spd. Down hill mileage is even better.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I get 900 miles to a tank of gas before having to re-fuel.
WOOWWW!!!! This is unbelievable!!!! Yes, your Forester is definitely a hybrid!!! Look under the hood carefully :icon_razz::icon_razz::icon_razz:

But really, this mpg is killing all hybrids made today!!!!

·
Registered
2010 Forester AT
13 Posts
I used to reset the fuel economy of my 300HP Infiniti while on a highway, going downhill.
The car would say something like 42-50MPG, when 22 was the absolute maximum that it could do on the highway.... In about a minute it would pick up on my tricks..

:banana: :icon_razz:

(the best way is to see how many miles you travelled from full tank to empty)

·
Registered
2011 Forester
107 Posts
I would not put too much focus on the digital fuel economy. It serves as a good guide, but it is not incredibly accurate. Actual economy was probably not that good.

Best way is to check by the tank filling up until the pump clicks off at the same station and same pump for the best accuracy. My digital display is usually 1.5 - 2 mpg higher than the actual MPG for each tank.

I have seen 38 mpg on a trip in my XT.

That's disheartening. My digital readout says I'm getting 23-24.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2014 Forester xt prem Cvt
161 Posts
when your fuel remaining reads 0.0, you have 2.6 gallons left in the tank. so factor that in with your calculations. or was it 2.6 when the gas light turns on...

i read 38 mpg overall on the computer, i got excited but i wasn't buying it. I still get less than 400miles before the gas light turns on

·
Registered
2014 Forest Limited CVT
6 Posts
what speeds are you driving at? I've noticed if I avg over 65+ the MPG dips to around 30, whereas if I keep it at 60, I'll get closer to 33 MPG. Then again, I'm driving the hills of Seattle on I-5. I've gotten over 33 MPG on a tank of highway miles (about 450 to the "E" light coming on).

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium CVT
53 Posts
I've noticed the same thing. Averaged less than 30 mpg driving from St. Petersburg to St. Augustine FL, but engine was not completely broken in. Somewhere while in St. Augustine I went over 1000 miles and the engine broke in. On the way back to St. Pete I averaged 34.4 mpg.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
18 Posts
Conditions matter. Pay attention to grade (uphill/downhill) and wind. Even if subtle, they can add up notably on a long trip. My mileage to the mountains differs greatly from mileage from the mountains. While I may be discouraged getting low 20s going uphill, it balances on the return. My computer read 68.0 for part of one return when I basically had coasted for 15 miles. Wouldn't that be nice with regular driving? Compared to actual, the computer reports 1.5 to 2.3 higher, so I have to do the -2 mental math to get an idea from the computer of true mileage.

Regarding pressure, the tires are deliberately over inflated for transport from overseas. The vehicle's tire pressure should be properly adjusted as part of dealer prep. My dealer did not catch that, and the initial ride was stiff and the car wandered all over the road. When I checked, I had 40 psi per tire. I adjusted them down to 2 psi over recommended and all is well.

Speaking of hybrids, have you seen that the 2014 Crosstrek hybrid is coming out this fall?

·
Registered
2014 Foz Ltd CVT
310 Posts
We are loving our '14 Limited, in black!
This is our 8th Subaru, but first Forester.
Just under 500 miles. We got 29.39 MPG on the first tank, doing the real math! The readout showed 27 - 29 MPG, but that is only for each trip. I have not been able to find a lifetime or long term average display.
Funny thing; after we filled up, the display has showed over 30, even up to 32 MPG

·
Registered
2014 Forester Touring 6-Spd Manual
114 Posts
Well, you do know you have a battery under the hood.

Ya I don't really trust that gauge reading. It's only for reference. The calculation is based on the average consumption. Funny thing is I got 50L/100km (instant mileage consumption) when switching gears and got 12 or 13 L/100 when I was coasting down the road at neutral to a stop. Don't remember if I depressed the brake or not but the consumption should be 2 l/100km as in idling. Instead it shoots up in neutral.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts