Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

Had its first "off-road" adventure yesterday; brought the kids to a nearby nature preserve. Gravel roads, but still...first time off pavement!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
41 Posts
A lot of my highway driving is stop and go. Either I have to be super focused on applying just enough brake to stop without triggering on/off , or it ends up going on/off/on/off without any appreciable idle time being saved. Unlike surface streets where I'll spend a minute or two at a light.
Not sure if you're using the adaptive cruise control during highway driving, but in my experience with it, the car does not turn off. Eyesight will bring the car to a complete stop for you in stop and go traffic. Obviously you still need to pay attention, but after setting your max speed, the car will handle stopping for you in traffic. You have to press the gas to start moving, but it alerts you that the car ahead of you has moved and it will then match that car's speed after you start moving.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks, hadn't thought about that in the stop and go

coming up on 750 miles, and it's feeling a little more broken in. Or maybe I am, who knows. I was surprised today when my foot caught on a little metal end cap on one of the rails the driver seat sits on. The cap popped off, snapping in two. Huh. That's not cool. Doesn't seem to be a vital part, but seems kinda flimsy. Since I kicked it, I don't know if the dealer will just fix it. Hopefully it's a,minor, cheap part I can find somewhere. Still having trouble with Android Auto, though I'll admit my biggest issue is just having enough time to learn the new tech.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
62 Posts
I knew about auto start-stop beforehand, and decided it wasn't a deal-killer, but man. This seems like such an easy thing to fix (default off, or allow it to be switched off permanently, instead of EVERY TIME I GET IN THE CAR.) We'll see how much it continues to annoy me.
An awful lot of the new cars have auto start/stop now. If you're a fairly handy DIY, the auto start/stop can be permanently bypassed. I did on my '19 Forester. Good riddance! There are discussions on this site about how to do this.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I turned off the car in the garage the other day, looked down, and saw that I had stopped EXACTLY at 1000 miles.

First 1000 miles have been pretty smooth. Other than a tiny broken part and the aforementioned auto start/stop I'm pretty pleased. I'm averaging 30+ mpg in mostly not-highway driving (surface streets and stop and go traffic), which I'm pretty happy about. I still have a lot of learning to do on some of the electronic/media systems. I did notice the other day that when I open up the sliding panel for the sunroof/moonroof, it's hard to get it all the way back from a buckeld sitting position in the driver's seat. On the plus side that speaks to the giantness of it, but it is a little awkward. Oh the price we pay. I've been driving mostly in I mode...I thought I would likely be in s mode all the time, damn the mileage, but I seems to be fine which is a pleasant surprise.

I find myself very aware of other Subarus on the road (your groupthink must be taking hold). I have noticed that they are predominately female where I am, or at least in my anecdotal sampling. I don't know what that says about the specific car culture of Houston, but there it is.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Prem CVT
4 Posts
Not sure if you're using the adaptive cruise control during highway driving, but in my experience with it, the car does not turn off. Eyesight will bring the car to a complete stop for you in stop and go traffic. Obviously you still need to pay attention, but after setting your max speed, the car will handle stopping for you in traffic. You have to press the gas to start moving, but it alerts you that the car ahead of you has moved and it will then match that car's speed after you start moving.
It does seem to work that way, but it just feels like to much work for too little benefit in highway driving. I have been using it in street driving at stop signs/lights, and it's been appreciated there.
[/QUOT
After 2000 miles in my 2019 Forester, I've gotten comfortable feathering the brake pedal to keep the auto stop/ start feature from activating, except when pulling into parking spaces/ my garage. It tends to shut off before I can put the car in park, then restarts again. A minor annoyance that I'm still trying to learn, but overall love the Forester.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
more outdoor exploration! chasing wildlife on the Katy Prairie near Houston, Texas. Did not plan selfie well, should have stepped further away from the car:) Just glad to be off paved roads, even for just a moment. Used the massive panoramic sunroof as a photogrpahy blind to get up close an personal with a Bald Eagle. Unfortunately, I had neglected to keep my camera in the Forester, so I had to make do with badly digiscoped picture using my binoculars as a shaky lens for my phone camera. Still, pretty cool.

Weird thing I've noticed this week, my coolant cold warning light seems to come on even when it's not very cold outside. It never stays on, usually goes off after a mile or so. But it came on when I started up the car in 60 degree weather. Anyone else notice something like that?

at?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
41 Posts
Nice photo of the bald eagle!

My coolant cold light comes on when I first start the car too. I don't know what the threshold is, but I just assume it's fulfilling it's technical job until the engine is fully warmed up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Nice photo of the bald eagle!

My coolant cold light comes on when I first start the car too. I don't know what the threshold is, but I just assume it's fulfilling it's technical job until the engine is fully warmed up.
Good to know, just wanted to make sure it wasn't indicative of a problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Noticed some odd frayed edges of plasticy looking material along the seams of my hood? Didn't seem to be any damage, assuming it might be just some leftover wrapping martial or something from transit? I don't think the dealer did paint protection?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had something similar on my Forester as well. Not sure how it even passed pre delivery inspection, it was dark when I was picked up the car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Took a long drive up to Navasota, Texas the other day. Wanted to find a place to safely pull over for a glamour shot of a Texas sunset reflected in the shiny side of the car. By the time I got where I was going though, moon was already out. Damnable daylight savings time!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did you figure out what it was?
Oh yes, I took it back to the dealership and had them remove it. I don’t remember what they called it, something along the lines of “protective plastic coating”.

My car is white so it was harder to see, but they also missed a big piece on the roof

21 - 35 of 35 Posts