Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Forester XT Touring
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys, my name's Ken and I own a 2017 Subaru Forester XT Touring with Eyesight. Her name is Subrina. She is my first Subaru, but my second car😂. My first car was a 2002 Toyota Avalon- a yacht on wheels, but Avageline was a great first car. Powerful off the line, got terrible gas mileage and had fun taking rip on the 405 in California😂. And so, knowing that my first car was having a fuel evap problem, my parents thought that getting a new and safer car would be best. And so, after much looking at Honda's and Mazda's, my first and final pick the Forester, but it couldn't be just any Forester. It had to be the turbo model or the 2019 Sport model😂. Then in March a dealership in Thousand Oaks had this own. A Silver Forester XT Touring with all the safety my mom wants and low mileage. Fresh from lease. And only lived it's life running around the valley to San Diego to Las Vegas here and there. But, now, the car won't be seeing thousand oaks a lot, but Santa Monica😂. This car has it's quirks, but I love it. The car has all the get up and go. And some WRX and STI guys give me the nod🥺🤩😂😎. And a lot of the Forster community is very fun to be around even tho I have not been to a meet. At SMC, there were a couple of us who would park near/ next to each other... FORESTER BUDDIES! 😂 Great times☺. I really love the Forester community. Mostly everyone has been really nice, cool, and full of different Foresters. Street Foresters. Overland Foresters. Rally Foresters. Bagged VIP Foresters. And just plain old Stock Foresters- like mine... For now😂. It has literally the whole spectrum of builds that I can't even make up my mind to what I want. An overland Forester looks so bruting and cool, but a street Forester would sooo cool. 🙈🙉 There are so many things I want to do, but I just don't know! I love biking and camping, so I want to go off the beaten path, but also want to canyon carve and go over really fast on the highway😂. So, Idk. Does anyone have any idea of what kind of Forester I should build? I know I have said a lot, but this is my introduction to you all and I want you to know that I'm very vocal😂. So, yeah, hi there and I hope everyone is having a great night and say in other parts of the world 🙋🏻‍♂️. Oh and btw, I named my Forester Subrina because Fabiola was taken everywhere. I was going to make her Fabiola the Fabulous Forester 😂, but Subrina is nice. I have always thought Sabrina was a beautiful name. And my car is damn fine, so Subrina since she's a Subaru😂. Little bit of a play on letters.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,669 Posts
Hey there...
Wow - You might want to cool it with the emojis so people don't get a headache looking at your posts.
Sounds like you found a nice car.
You want to change it to impress other people?
A Ferrari or a Lamborghini, maybe.. For a Subaru, not so much.
If you are thinking upgrades will make you popular, prepare to be disappointed.
If you live in Santa Monica, my condolences.
My sister lived there until last week.
Worst traffic in LA, and a great assortment of homeless encampments..
There used to be a nice mall until rioters looted it into a burned out shell.
I got out long ago and it was ridiculously crowded then.

So, you are likely a student at UCLA..or maybe you just grew up there.
You can actually make better time on local travel with roller blades than you can in a car during most of the day.

As far as what you want to turn it into?
It's a car.
A car is a device used for a purpose.
What purpose do you need?

Creating a great off road vehicle makes it less efficient on the street and useless if you never use it that way.
Want a street racer - There are better choices to start with, but with power comes opportunity, and unless you have some self control, adding speeding tickets to your record will mean your insurance rates will skyrocket.
Even if mommy and daddy are paying, they might change their minds at some point, or you lose your license to drive,

As it is, it is a street car, and can be used to get you to places less travelled and into the snow.
You could always just drive it and pretend it's whatever you want it to be.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
703 Posts
Welcome to Fozlandia, young padwan.... You will find many great things by looking through the various threads...

As you have the turbo, just know that maintenance is much more important on a turbocharged engine as opposed to the normally aspirated motor you had in the former land yacht... So keep on top of the oil changes, keep on top of the oil levels and maintain that cooling system... In reality, keep on top of the maintenance period. Keep it by the book (or better) and Subarina will last a long time.

As for your build - it all depends on where and what you want do...

"Fast & Furious" - upgrades to suspension, engine management, sport-feel, lowering... making it in to a WRX-like wagon... Know that just due to the physics of the body style and the center of gravity, Subarina will not be a WRX or drifter... While there are some out there that have done this type of modifications, most of them are more for track days and less for road days....​
"The Road Warrior" - making it tougher and more for highway runs... this is more about engine management and suspension. Keeping it road ready but upping the performance (if it's needed). This can be done by a combination of stuff you can do (not sure of your mechanical abilities) and stuff done by a qualified shop.​
"The Orient Express" - upping the luxury of the Touring model... adding bling and glitz, upping the creature comforts and making it more luxe. Probably the simplest route and stuff that almost anybody can do.​
"Wasteland Warrior" - an off-road beast... Lift kit, better all terrain tires, skid plates, gear racks, roof top tent or roof top basket, lighting and light bars, locker on the back...​
"Into The Woods" - Do you want to do "car camping" and minor off-roading? Then this may be the path. Some of the same gear as "Wasteland Warrior" but with a nod towards keeping things comfy for getting back in tune with nature.​
In any case, you'll find many threads dedicated to different builds and different ways of doing things. YouTube is also a good source for ideas...

No matter what you do - make any modifications what YOU want Subarina to be... Besides the simple samples above, there are tons of things you can do.

Me? I went a bit more on the "Into The Woods" route - but still with a nod to the comfort and glamour of The Orient Express... I've done some of the bling, some of the off-road and am still working on the bling and glamour .. and off road....

Being in the So Cal area, you are surrounded by a lot of great places to take your Foz... If you're in the valley, you know you've got some great roads around you for driving - taking the 2 up and over the hills past Wrightwood... Or over to Malibu and then up PCH for some great roads and sights... 2 hours east and you're in the deserts and some of the off-road trails...

The world is your oyster (I never truly understood that statement) but you can go wherever you want with your build - as long as money and time meet up and work together.

·
Super Moderator
1,889 Posts
What's wrong with emoji's? :unsure:

I find them helpful when feeling ☹ or 🤪 🙃😒😏😲.

Welcome to the forums.... Take your time and read up on all the mods you may or may not want to do to your XT... Lots of good resources here on the forums. Don't forget to use the internal search engine.

C.

...Wow - You might want to cool it with the emojis so people don't get a headache looking at your posts....

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,669 Posts
What's wrong with emoji's?
Nothing.
In this case, the "too much of a good thing" statement comes to mind....
To wit:
:);):(:mad::cool::p:D:eek::oops::sleep::LOL::love::cry::censored::rolleyes::sneaky:(n):unsure::whistle::coffee::alien::devilish::poop:

Does anyone actually "read" a string of emojis?
If you do, or did, this was just the order they came in....

One thing to sum up a statement, but when applied multiple times in a single sentence and into the double digits?
Any Impact is lost.
With enough emojis, they are just noise, although if you are in kinder garden...

BTW - Good advice on the search, it might help prevent a headache.

·
Registered
18' 2.5 Premium 6MT
151 Posts
Drive it for a while to see what the stock limitations are and pursue modifications to address a specific shortcoming. The car as is will probably suit your needs as is, but find out. To both be a 'canyon carver' and go 'off road' you are looking at contradictory modifications. A/T tires are not great for on road handling just as street tires are not suitable off road with the same being true of lowering / lift etc... The XT provides a good middle ground as is and may suit all of your needs without spending extra money.

In my opinion your best use of money is on regular maintenance per the manual.

That said, after 26,000 miles I have made a number of modifications to my Foz to suit my use case. Certain trade-offs were inherent but I don't drive more than three days a week normally and less now under the pandemic.

Be sure you haven't doubled down on your Adderall dose before making a decision. ;)

·
Registered
2020 Forester Prem
374 Posts
Welcome @IroncladCat7555

You're right, most in the community are pretty nice and helpful folks although you'll always have that relatively small element who feel the need to be petty, belittle others, etc. for some odd reason. ......every forum has them.

Either way, this site is a wealth of information and there are a lot of friendly, knowledgeable folks willing to welcome and support new members.

We bought my wife a new 2020 Forester Premium to replace her aging 2008 Forester. .....I had a 2003 WRX for 8 years before I traded it in for my Challenger. I miss that car from time to time.

Anyhow, welcome to the community.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS 5MT
685 Posts
:)o_O;):coffee:(y):poop: Welcome!
First world problems eh, what to do?
The Foz is such a capable car, if budget allows why settle for only one scenario?
Pics?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts