Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today was my very first oil change I have done by myself!

Let me tell you it was a pain in the butt! First off I had a hard time removing the little plastic panel to get to the oil plug and oil filter.

Once I finally got passed that, that's where the fun began! I could not for the life of me get the oil filter off! Darn you Subaru stealership for cranking it down!

LOL luckily I was at a Air Force Auto Hobby shop and they had all kinds of tools and I was able to find a device that had a strap with some seat-belt material on it. I was able to hook that up to the ratchet and get it off few!

While I drained the oil I also pulled a sample to get analyzed by the blackstone company. I replaced my regular castrol GTX 5W-30 with some 0W-30 Castrol Syntec full synthetic European blend "GC". I added about 4.5 quarts. I have 31K miles on the clock.

Well after it was all said and done it took me an hour. Next time shouldnt be so bad since I put the filter on hand tight.

If anyone knows the part number for those clip on style pain in the booty screw deals let me know lol!

Ive heard nothing but good things about the "GC".

·
Registered
2003 XS
169 Posts
Next time you have trouble getting the oil filter off, take a long thin screw driver and stab it through the side. Shouldn't have any problems after that.

Mark

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,431 Posts
Just hand-tighten it every time and you shouldn't really have that issue. Easy on, easy off. One quarter turn after the gasket makes contact is all that is needed, as per our owners manual.

·
Registered
2000 FORESTER
26 Posts
Oil change tip

Note that if you have an oil filter that is positioned bottom-down, when you're doing an oil change, fill the filter itself with oil before screwing it on: this will help the oil circulate throughout the engine that much more quickly, avoiding (lessening, anyway) the initial post-oil-change start-up damage.

My Volvo has a single fuse for the ignition and fuel pump: I'm thinking they did this intentionally, so that you can easily disable both in order to crank the engine without starting it after an oil change, so that the oil can be circulated before the significant load caused by ignition is applied. Does anyone do this with their Foresters?

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks everyone for the great tips! I can't wait to get my first oil analysis back. That way I get a good before and after with my new oil. I hope to run it at least at 6000K intervals.

especially since the oil alone costs $39! plus filter and crush washer from subaru 8 dollars and 3 dollars for the lift. $50 dollar oil change. I guess that's not to bad.

Autozone gives you 1 point for every 20 dollars you spend. When you get 5 points you get 20 bucks off!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.