Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So today I had the urge to buy some mod parts for my mom's Forester... I decided I would do the bumper lip mod and also buy some Plasti-Dip paint and paint the front grill black.

Well the only Home Depot around here is in Carson City, a 45 minute drive from where I live. I thought, "well what the heck? I've got nothing better to do today." Anyways, I get down there after a fun drive messing around with this dude in his Outback, find exactly what I need in Home Depot, and head to the check out counter.

"I'll need to see an ID sir," the lady at the register asks. "Oh crap, I'm not 18 'till January... I need to make her feel sorry for me!"

After about 10 minutes of arguing with her about how I drove all the way down from Tahoe and her accusing me of being sent into the store by a cop waiting outside :)crazy:), she tells me there's no way she's selling it to me. I had almost lost hope until I thought to have an adult in the store buy it for me. Of course, nobody was nice enough to help me out so I went and got In 'N Out to drown out my sorrows.

Good news however is that I did the bumper lip mod in the freezing cold when I arrived back home and it looks awesome! I suppose I'll try to find the paint at an auto shop up here and get that grill up to par :p

Until then, here's some pics of the front lip.

Oh lord.. I guess doing this kinda thing in the dark isn't such a good idea >.<

·
Registered
2015 VW Golf R (AWD!) DSG (Automated Manual)
2,199 Posts
Huh? What, you can't buy paint until your 18 or something? :huh: Or what? :huh: I'm confused.

If that was the case around here...I would have done a lot less damage as an angry 16 year old (18 years ago!)! I was a little hellion before I became a Jesus freak...

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
Yeah, that law sucks. I remember when I was under 18 and had to have the parents buy me paint for anything. Sucked.

I want to see this bumper mod you speak of though! I demand pics!

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes you gotta be 18 :/ The shops in Tahoe sell me paint though cuz they know how much fun it is to get high off that stuff! (that would be a joke ;) ). But really, who buys Plasti-Dip for that kinda bs?? I just hope I can get that stuff in my town somewhere..

If you're lucky I'll take pics before school tomorrow ^.~

@Blue Fox: did you use that kinda paint on your grill? Did you sand/prime it too??

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,860 Posts
We have the same laws here. For compressed air dusters, it's to prevent some idiot from inhaling it. For spray paint, it's to prevent graffiti & tagging. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
Yes you gotta be 18 :/ The shops in Tahoe sell me paint though cuz they know how much fun it is to get high off that stuff! (that would be a joke ;) ). But really, who buys Plasti-Dip for that kinda bs?? I just hope I can get that stuff in my town somewhere..

If you're lucky I'll take pics before school tomorrow ^.~

@Blue Fox: did you use that kinda paint on your grill? Did you sand/prime it too??
I roughed it up a bit with a 3M abrasive pad (in the paint section of automotive shops). Sprayed two light coats of automotive primer, and then shot a few thin coats of "Trim Paint" by Duplicolor (green can). It gives you an OEM-like Satin-black finish. It's lasted through numerous washes, scrubbings, winter, summer, rain, mud bogging, etc. etc. No chips and still looks fresh.

Getting a professional result from a rattle can is all in the prep work. It'll take you a few hours to do correctly. The sanding is a bit tedious to get into all the corners and details. After that, make sure you clean it up good. Go over the sanded bits with rubbing alcohol to get any grease and dirt off. And spray THIN coats of primer (I did two). Then two or three THIN coats of the paint itself. I spray the hard to reach areas first (corners and hard to reach areas), then wait 20 minutes, then apply my first thin coat....maybe a third if I see any bits I missed.

You could follow it up with a satin clear coat, but I didn't and it's just fine.

Good luck with yours. Makes any Foz look 100 times better IMO.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
That sucks man. Maybe it's for the best, it's not ideal to paint when it's cold out, wait till it's warmer.

<-- my Mazda is rattle-caned, I did some of it around this time last year (it was cold too) and learned my lesson.

Stan

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,956 Posts
We have the same laws here. For compressed air dusters, it's to prevent some idiot from inhaling it. For spray paint, it's to prevent graffiti & tagging. :wink:

Bobby...
That law is funny. What a joke. I suppose that after the age of 18 people stop inhaling and tagging... hahahahahaahahahahah
That's when the fun really begins. That's when you are starting to get good.
:bananapowerslide:

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
Meh, the same people that made that law likely came up with the "ID to buy eggs in the week before halloween" law they made in Ontario a few years back...

Lets just say it makes it really tough for a 17 year old college student to make breakfast for himself with this stupid law. I was forced to eat cereal that week, when all I wanted was some damn bacon and eggs!

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Meh, the same people that made that law likely came up with the "ID to buy eggs in the week before halloween" law they made in Ontario a few years back...

Lets just say it makes it really tough for a 17 year old college student to make breakfast for himself with this stupid law. I was forced to eat cereal that week, when all I wanted was some damn bacon and eggs!
That's such a dumb law.. I'm sure glad that doesn't apply here in the US. I don't think I could live without eggs for a whole week haha!

How are you always on the forums

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
I have five unused cans of Plasti-dip sitting here that I'm not going to use anytime soon... I'd sell them to you if you were closer. Unfortunately I can't ship them anywhere because of postal regulations, but if someone local wants to pick them up... I'd love to free up some space.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts

LOL I'd go nuts without meat and eggs for breakfast.

Then again that's why my cholesterol is too high. :icon_frown:
24 years old and already on my way to cardiac disease.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I understand the paint law (trying to stop graffiti).
What the heck is with the egg ban?????
Does Canada have a rash of egg throwing on Halloween?

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Flat 6 5MT 4.44
143 Posts
looks good. if you could, can you get a full front pic im thinking of doing this too.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
I understand the paint law (trying to stop graffiti).
What the heck is with the egg ban?????
Does Canada have a rash of egg throwing on Halloween?
Yeah... some little girl nearly lost an eye in an egging incident one year the night before Halloween, and they put the law in place the following year.
Honestly if the eggers we smart they'd buy them well in advance and let them go bad before tossing them.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,683 Posts
Yeah... some little girl nearly lost an eye in an egging incident one year the night before Halloween, and they put the law in place the following year.
Honestly if the eggers we smart they'd buy them well in advance and let them go bad before tossing them.
What is even better is making a small hole, drain the egg, and replace with mayonnaise, let brew for several months. That is an even better idea...:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts