Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are several other threads this could be posted in, and that's why I just started a new one. My wiring setup is functionaing as follows:

Car in Park:
LED's only come on with Parking and Lights (Auto if it's dark)

Car in Gear:
LED's are on with DRL, Parking, and Lights.

Could someone please tell me what they think I am in danger of overloading?

These are the LEDs I have:
Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive wheel system Vehicle Automotive tire

I extended the LED's GREEN ground and grounded it to the metal arm above the Lights:
Wire Electrical wiring Auto part Cable Technology

I tapped the City Light's (the light between High and Low Beams) BLACK/WHITEstripe wire to connected the LED's YELLOW wire:
Auto part Wire Fuel line Cable

I tapped the HighBeam's GREEN/WHITEstripe wire to connect the LED's RED wire:
Lighting Auto part

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0XT Limited CVT
416 Posts
Have you blown any fuses? Any problems with your lights since? If no, then I don't think you'll have issues.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
If the possibility worries you, replace the LEDs in the wiring with a relay and feed the LEDs direct from the battery, controlling them with the relay.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
179 Posts
Any photos of the finished install. I have these coming in the mail and can't wait to install them and get rid of the high beam DRLs.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I kept the highbeam DRL's function and now for some reason the LEDs only come on with the DRL so I cannot safety take a picture while the car is in drive (not that I haven't thought about it), I need to check my connections and specifically the connection to the city lights as it must have come loose.

·
Registered
2005 forester XT 5 speed
70 Posts
Well I kept the highbeam DRL's function and now for some reason the LEDs only come on with the DRL so I cannot safety take a picture while the car is in drive (not that I haven't thought about it), I need to check my connections and specifically the connection to the city lights as it must have come loose.
I read that it might work like the Phillips DRL LED, from their instruction, you can connect the red and black wire to the battery terminal. The module will detect when the car is on or when engine is running, when it does then the LED will light up. Then the yellow wire is either attach to the headlight (if you want the dim function only when the headlight is on) or to the parking/city light.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked the connections and everything was tight. So I don't know how I mistakenly thought I had them working in park prior to my first post. It's too cold to fumble with it now, but when it's warmer I'll try just running them from the battery and city lights.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
179 Posts
Did the lights fit flush or are there some gaps? When I installed mine the outside fits fine, but the inside there is a gap between the light and the bumper.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The lens cover protrudes ~2mm, but there's no gaps on the sides, it's just a raised surface. I think it's suppossed to be like that.

My wire tapped method is a bust and the vampire tap severed about 30% of my headlight wire so I think tapping was somewhat of a bad idea, though it worked for about a week and was easy. I could redo it this way, but I would really prefer them to be on whenever the engine is on AND when not, but when I have the headlights/parking lights on. I tried connecting right to the engine compartment fuses with add-a-circuit fuse taps but they always have power, just like the battery. The yellow wire isn't detecting ignition and canceling the constant power so I may have a busted modular or am just wiring inept. I'm planning on doing some more review of the info here and attempting it again after work. Did you run your wires into the cabin fuse box because those are only on with ignition, as oppossed to the engine compartment fuses?

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0XT Limited CVT
416 Posts
I haven't even tried installing mine yet because I'm unsure of where to connect. I'm thinking of taking it to someone who specializes in car audio and lighting and getting them to do it for me. Probably cost me as much as the DRLs did but at least they know what they're doing (I hope).

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just got a set and there does appear to be a slight gap toward the inside of the light, but it's not that noticeable:

As for wiring, I am trying to use fuse taps and avoid tapping into the wiring. So far, no luck with tapping from the engine fuse box since most of those are hot. When trying to run the cables inside, the run is short about 1.5 feet to the underdash fuse box. Looks like the wiring needs to be extended. If anyone knows of a better way to tap into the fuses, please let us know. Thanks

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
235 Posts
see if you can tap them to both the DRL and low beams, if you want them on at all times. that way when you're driving during the day, they're on with the DRL but when you flip on the low beams, the DRL turn off, and the accent lights will stay/turn on with the lowbeams.

somebody please chime in if that's not a good idea, as i'm not an electrician.

i bought a used set off of ebay but i dont have a forester yet, lol, so i can't help other than that suggestion.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think for that to work there would have to be two red wires, sending power to just the yellow doesn't turn them on and if I split the red wire so that there are two, connecting two seperate lights with the same wire sounds like a bad idea.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
179 Posts
I posted this on another thread.

I did the install this afternoon and all the fuses in the engine bay fuse panel are hot and always on. Except the rear defroster and the LEDs will only turn on when the rear defroster is on. I did use a fuse tap into the headlights for the LEDs to dim when they are on. I had to fish the wire through the firewall (which was very easy) and use a fuse tap for the interior fuse panel. Everything is working now and the LEDs turn on when the car is on and when the headlights are on they dim. I disabled the DRLs, but the brightness isn't as bright as factory LED DRLs. I would say the OEM LED kit from Subaru Japan are brighter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
hi exbauer,

So you hooked everything up under the dash? Did you need to extend the wiring? I ran mine like the OEM instructions and I come up short on the run to the fuse box. The DRL controller currently sits near the driver side strut tower. Thanks

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
179 Posts
hi exbauer,

So you hooked everything up under the dash? Did you need to extend the wiring? I ran mine like the OEM instructions and I come up short on the run to the fuse box. The DRL controller currently sits near the driver side strut tower. Thanks
I did solder more wire that turns on when you start the car so it could reach the interior fuse panel. I did fuse tap into the headlight fuse in the engine bay that would dim the LEDs when the headlights turned on. I used some double sided tape and attached it to plastic container right under the headlight.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
235 Posts
I did solder more wire that turns on when you start the car so it could reach the interior fuse panel. I did fuse tap into the headlight fuse in the engine bay that would dim the LEDs when the headlights turned on. I used some double sided tape and attached it to plastic container right under the headlight.

yellow wire went into the engine bay fuse box and red wire went into the interior fuse panel?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts