Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer in Tampa, Fl., now adds 15% to all bills not to exceed $36.60.. Instead of $100 per hour for labor, it's really $115 per hour.

It is taken on labor and parts. This seems quite excessive and since there are several dealers in the area, I might have to shop around. I've never heard of a misc. charge this high for shop materials and disposable fees. What do your dealers charge?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sounds like a rip-off. Maybe it's the owner's "Kids in College" or "The Insurance is due on the family yacht" tax.

Like Captain and Tennille said, you better shop around.

For many years, there has been a "Shop Materials" fee for rags and cleaner, etc. Also a rip off, but it seems everyone does it, so that makes it ok. Not.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have heard of this with smaller shops, using an additional percentage is to estimate for account for incidental "shop materials." Agreed with @RidingWV, this is a rip off, but every one is doing it these days, in some form or fashion.

Is there a separate line item for shop materials in addition to the 15%?

Either way, I would compare with the other dealers in the area, at least.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
It's been a common practice for years but 15% sounds steep. As a comparison my local Subaru dealer recently charged a $4.29 "shop supplies" fee as part of a oil change/tire rotation service that totaled $95. Doing the arithmetic that's about 4.5%

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Care to say which one? So I can stay away.
Reeves of Tampa and that is also where I bought my car. They were as competitive as I could have asked for on the sale. There is another dealer, Mastro, that is about 10 more miles away.

I don't have a problem with a nominal charge for disposable shop items, but I was floored by the 15%. I'm still under warranty and for both service trips, I have no complaints.

·
Registered
492 Posts
My dealer in Tampa, Fl., now adds 15% to all bills not to exceed $36.60..

It is taken on labor and parts. This seems quite excessive ...
Nationally, we're at the top of the economic cycle, with record low un-employment, and dealer likely has to pay higher wages to keep employees.

Doesn't likely matter what our local dealer charges, our's isn't in Tampa, FL. You gotta make your own choices ... best.

·
Registered
19 Posts
@JaysOnTheEDGE Could be, I stopped going to Fitzgerald since their "list" price for part is higher than msrp. Had everything apart and needed it now.
That is good to know i haven't bought any parts from them just oil changes since the first 4 were free and they repaired a bad wheel hub and the drivers seat under 3/36 warranty i usually buy my air filters and wiper blades online.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My dealer in Tampa, Fl., now adds 15% to all bills not to exceed $36.60.. Instead of $100 per hour for labor, it's really $115 per hour.

It is taken on labor and parts. This seems quite excessive and since there are several dealers in the area, I might have to shop around. I've never heard of a misc. charge this high for shop materials and disposable fees. What do your dealers charge?
I bought my Fozzi at Fitz but I live on the other coast. I have to deal with the SouthEast coast dealers and I asked the SE Forester club what dealers to use with almost 10 dealership to go to chose from (from WPB to Miami) and only 2 were recommended! I wilk defintely Q&A the 2 dealers on costs before taking my Fozzi anywhere! THANKS for the heads up!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts