Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit early since I'm not done yet but here it goes anyway.
So a while ago I started drooling on double din HU's. Just one problem. The European forester SF don't have double din space. It got some switches and stuff instead. So I started gathering a little information from this forum from pictures from other members of how the US model looked like when taken apart.
Figured the cars should be very similar basically I went ahead and try to gather the parts needed to convert my console to US edition.
Now I allready has a thread going on about this here http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f85/thinking-buying-pioneer-avh-p4200dvd-experience-72441/

But I changed my mind and ordered the AVH-P3200BT instead.
I still don't have the new unit so I have made the changes needed to be able to install a double din unit in my car so far.
That means installing the new radio brackets I ordered from Jackie.
rip apart the whole console so I could remove one metallic bracket sitting above and around the HVAC. And turning the metal brackets for the HVAC around so the unit is getting further out like the US version has.
I figured from a few pics here that the brackets are the same. just flipped side.

So here is the pics from before and after re-assembling the console.

I also got so far to make space for one of the switches
It did not really fit so I had to modify the hole a bit

Attachments

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice. I already have switches on that spot for my PIAA lights so I did not went that way. Tho I'm planning to put the headlight washer switch further down there. (Have to make a hole for it)

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone knows if the double din players are shorter then most single din players.
I tried mount my sony in the upper area but it did not fit since there is some metal support bending in on the rear end in the dash.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bump

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I wanna have the subaru logo at the splash screen like I've seen other have on their HU. Need to get a picture of that then.

Edit: found this through Nasioc (All credits goes to rabydanimal over there)

·
Registered
1999 2.0 S M
327 Posts
Anyone knows if the double din players are shorter then most single din players.
I tried mount my sony in the upper area but it did not fit since there is some metal support bending in on the rear end in the dash.

i think my sony is almost the same as yours and it fits. there might be something in the way but i´m sorry i can´t remember if i had to bend anything but i think if it had been hard to do or had taken me longer than five minutes i would surely remember ... you´ll find a way to sort that out

to fill the hole below i took a cubby box out off an older Legacy

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thx. It don't matter much if the sony don't fit in the end. Just as long as the double din pioneer fits. I'll guess I find out when I get the new HU. :icon_wink:

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well who knows if there are anyone else but atm I don't have my unit so as far as we know your still the only one here atleast :N_poke:

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is the thing I mentioned that could be a problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^
Any US SF owner remembering if this metal bracket is the same as mine?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bump

·
Registered
1999 2.0 S M
327 Posts
I thinK i remember now. tried to bend it away and i'm quite sure after bending a while it just fell of. Was only welded at 3 small points.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thinK i remember now. tried to bend it away and i'm quite sure after bending a while it just fell of. Was only welded at 3 small points.
So it's not doing anything useful anyway....

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So I got my new HU today. I installed it but ran out of time when it came to make it fit good around the front bezel. So I need to do that again. Will post up pics later.
I asked pioneer about the remote controls they have that you install on the steering wheel and they said that the CD-SR110 should fit so I have just ordered that control.
I need some kind of steering wheel control for it and this is the best I can do it seems. But it should work :biggrin:

From what I can gather the US version is called CD-SR1

1 - 20 of 27 Posts