Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 2.5 XT Limited
342 Posts
Don't upgrade to North America map to 2010.04. or the software will keep tell you the 1490T doesn't have enough space to install the whole North America map, I learned that the hardway... from a 1490T owner standpoint. Other than that, It's a good GPS Navigation unit...

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,736 Posts
1490t bump, how are you guys liking your units??

I'm looking at picking this unit up for the fxt to replace an old garmin c330.
Reading the reviews, there are a bunch of negatives but it seems that firmware updates have helped many.

dm

·
Registered
2009 Forester
35 Posts
My wife and I each have a unit, gave her's to her for Christmas, got mine in March (both from Costco). Had mine lock up about 6 weeks ago, wouldn't reset or anything, just got the "Garmin" screen. Contacted Garmin, they suggested trying to reset again, but also gave me a return number. Sent it back, a couple of days later, got an email instructing me to update software if it hadn't locked up yet, or return if it had. Sound like a software issue. Got a new unit by return mail, and updated the wife's unit software, so far so good. Great customer service on the return.

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,736 Posts
htgreen3,

Thanks for the information. I've had good luck with garmin in the past but you get to reading reviews all over the web and you hear some horror stories.

Whats the biggest micro sd card anyone has put into this?? I'm looking at getting a 8gb micro sdhc card for it.

dm

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it has been a number of months and mine is still going strong.
I have not updated the software since i got it.
The bluetooth is good but not great. If mounted on the windshield you can't have the defogger on or you wont be heard.

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,736 Posts
Well, it has been a number of months and mine is still going strong.
I have not updated the software since i got it.
The bluetooth is good but not great. If mounted on the windshield you can't have the defogger on or you wont be heard.
I'm not interested in the bluetooth, have the bluetooth in the headunit.

Like the larger display, and looking at the lifetime map package as well.

Thanks for the update and glad your liking it.

dm

·
Registered
1998 Forester S
890 Posts
I bought a Garmin and it crashed 2 months after I bought it. Reloaded the maps and they said the maps were out of date. So now it sits in my drawer...

I got a Tom-Tom and it works decent. I miss my maps (old-school).

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,736 Posts
ended up ordering this unit through crutchfield on sale with the lifetime maps....

looks like i'll be updating the firmware as soon as I receive it, and i'll let you guys know how it works out.

I'll be eventually mounting it up via the ferret mounting system (tm)

dm

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,736 Posts
received 1490t, very pleased so far... more info in my members journal thread here

dm

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,736 Posts
Finally got around to taking pictures of it mounted put them in my members journal, but that doesn't seem to be very active so I'll throw an image in here as well.

dm

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Canadian Tire has the Garmin nüvi 265T on sale this week for $120.00. Not a bad price for a basic, entry level GPS. May just have to "splurge" on this..........

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
Finally got around to taking pictures of it mounted put them in my members journal, but that doesn't seem to be very active so I'll throw an image in here as well.

dm

Thats a neat place to mount it. Checking your journal for more photos of the cubby closed.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Canadian Tire has the Garmin nüvi 265T on sale this week for $120.00. Not a bad price for a basic, entry level GPS. May just have to "splurge" on this..........
Costco has these for $108.. We picked one up before heading out on 2 weeks vacation, 1200km in the Westy it was great, 2800km later in the Forester it was awesome.. :biggrin:

the only drawback is having your speed show up in front of your sig.other.. :icon_redface:

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE:

I returned my 1490T to Costco. 6 months later. It was resetting regularly. Also, found it slow start up and response time to become annoying.

I have ordered the new Garmin 3790T (looks like an iPhone) from costco.ca. I am looking forward to teh 3D rendering for my off road maps. :)

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
UPDATE:

I returned my 1490T to Costco. 6 months later. It was resetting regularly.

Also, found it slow start up and response time to become annoying.
I have mine sorted out pretty well, hope it doesn't start giving me grief,

I have the basic w265, with a micro sd with Topo Canada on it. When I'm in town or start/stopping a lot I pop out the sd card so that it loads quickly using the basic city data. Once we hit the higway and want to see lakes, contours and dirt roads I throw the card in and load up the Topo.

I'm hoping to figure out how to hardwire it in, not a fan of wires hanging everywhere.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts