Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently posted this in my members journal, but thought I would share my new found power, b/c this seems to be where the power junkies hang out.:biggrin:

I am still waiting for the color version graph to be posted, or sent to me..and will post it in the dyno thread.

No Baseline b/c I had a safe map for injectors. Prior to adding injectors,mani,bcs,inlet.. we put down 278hp/305hp on the same dyno last year.

I wanted to do a race gas map, but at 20psi, he didn't suggest it.

Jon, mentioned the high tq. reading, and said it had to do with the stock torque converter....He said it was prolly closer to 305 where it flattens out...thoughts?

Event: dyno pull/re-tune
Ambient Temp: 70
Elevation: 50
Weather: clear
Tires: 225/45/17

Car: 2004 Forester XT 4EAT
Tuner: Jon @ HBspeed
Dyno Info: Dynomite
Peak HP at RPM: 305 @ 5500 RPM
Peak Torque at RPM: 368 @ 3200 RPM
Baseline hp/tq for stock STI: ~ 220-230
Target Boost: 20 psi tapering to 16 psi
Target AFR:
Fuel: 91 unleaded:icon_frown:

Engine/Power Modifications:
Cobb AP v2
Witchhunter modded 840cc injectors
Prodrive EBCS
Helix catted dp (wrapped)
Stromung 3'' catback exhaust
GS high flow crosspipe, p&p manifold (coated/wrapped) 02-05 WRX/STI
STI up pipe
STI TMIC
VF39 p&p
Perrin CAI
Perrin turbo inlet
Walbro fuel pump

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
Why does the power peak and fall off so quick? Is it an AT thing, or it that just how it is?
torque converter
I disagree, Its in the tune, or maybe the 39 falls off at the upper rpms

Uncorrected. Boost set at 18.5psi tapering to 16psi at redline. VF48 with stock injectors. I asked if I needed larger injectors and was told no, that larger injectors give more headroom on idc but dont add hp because at 18-19psi, you run out of octane even on stockers.

Nice job OP. 300whp must be sweet.

·
Registered
04 SOLD!
943 Posts
Why does the power peak and fall off so quick? Is it an AT thing, or it that just how it is?
Its an AT thing, and I THINK you don't see it on Dynojet's because they aren't load bearing dynos like the Mustang and Dyno Dynamics..

The dyno above is a Land and Sea I believe, and I'm almost positive they are load bearing. Has to do with the torque converter somehow.

If you look at Goofy's and Canonshooter's Dyno plots on the EFI Logics Mustang Dyno, same thing.

Btw, those Land and Sea Dyno-mite's usually read ~245hp/255tq for stock STi's I've seen online. (like a DynoJet)

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Ah that's right.. a lot of AT dyno sheets do pretty much all show spikes. Saab 92x folks show the same behavior.. but it has been seen on Dynojets too. But the explaination there was "high stall torque converter caused the weird torque spike."

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Few things to mention..I have a stock TC & this is on a Land/Sea that reads 220-230 on a STI. Jon mentioned that the high reading IS from the torque converter.

Now the validity of 360tq ..hmmm

Here is my prior graph as a comparison.

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,885 Posts
you're hitting 300 ft-lbs at 2600rpm.... That's ridiculously quick spool up. You're running a twin-scroll ballbearing setup aren't you...

You're rev limiter seems to be set kinda high. What do you have it set at?

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I disagree, Its in the tune, or maybe the 39 falls off at the upper rpms.
Nice job OP. 300whp must be sweet.
The 39 is notorious for falling off round 5500rpm.

Nice thorough right up JE. Can't wait to run you in a straight away! : )
Straight aways are boring...Plus..I am confident in the outcome.:icon_cool:
Hactually...LMK when you wanna get a session at our next venue, of your choice....or course.

OR This
ABF Motoring

you're hitting 300 ft-lbs at 2600rpm.... That's ridiculously quick spool up. You're running a twin-scroll ballbearing setup aren't you...

You're rev limiter seems to be set kinda high. What do you have it set at?
Things did shift to the left a bit. But Greg..keep in mind that I have an AT..and us dead-pedalers tend to build a very quick boost, and hold it there throughout our quirky gears. This depends on how the tune was done, and similar to last tune.....most main pulls were done in D. My prior tune had obvious fuel cut in-between shifts, and was prolly done as a safety measure.

I haven't really had a chance to feel things, but very noticable wastegate flutter is appearant...due to the BCS..aka WGS.

He mentioned absolutely no knock...but no idea what the rev limit is is. I have had no issues with rev or fuel cut on his tunes..
However my RPM is bumpier..guessing injectors...Maybe a grounding kit will help.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
The 39 is notorious for falling off round 5500rpm.

Straight aways are boring...Plus..I am confident in the outcome.:icon_cool:
Hactually...LMK when you wanna get a session at our next venue, of your choice....or course.

OR This
ABF Motoring

Things did shift to the left a bit. But Greg..keep in mind that I have an AT..and us dead-pedalers tend to build a very quick boost, and hold it there throughout our quirky gears. This depends on how the tune was done, and similar to last tune.....most main pulls were done in D. My prior tune had obvious fuel cut in-between shifts, and was prolly done as a safety measure.

I haven't really had a chance to feel things, but very noticable wastegate flutter is appearant...due to the BCS..aka WGS.

He mentioned absolutely no knock...but no idea what the rev limit is is. I have had no issues with rev or fuel cut on his tunes..
However my RPM is bumpier..guessing injectors...Maybe a grounding kit will help.
Mine is the graph above and its more "laggy" as my tuner said it would be easier on the auto. My buddy had his lgt 5eat(vf39 swapped0 tuned by a different tuner and made similiar power to you. He also made a mountain of tq down low. I guess its all in the tune.

·
Registered
2003 Cross Sports
824 Posts
How much power can our 4EAT's take? I'm a good way behind you so if your safe, I'm well protected. Well done though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts