Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Tour
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm driving to a breakfast meeting with a buddy of mine on Monday. It's dark (6:20 am) and raining. I pull up to a red light, second in line behind a Honda turning left with no left turn priority light. Light goes green. I hear a diesel rev up and think to myself "Honda's aren't diese..." BOOM!! I get rocked.

I am NONE TOO IMPRESSED when I climb out to see a Grandma Getter minibus sitting behind me with glass from his fog lights all over my bumper.

Damage: bumper for sure, rear lift gate has some creases and now won't latch properly without slamming 50% of the time, rattles from the rear that I've never heard before. GRRR!!!!

I'll let you know how this all turns out but I really don't want a BRAND NEW vehicle that has had thousands of dollars in damage done to it after just 3 months! THAT has to kill my resale if I want to move to a diesel Fozzie if and when they ever hit this shore and that's the sort of financial hit that insurance DOESN'T cover!

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
3,006 Posts
Ugh.........That really sucks.

....and, for the record, what was the other driver's response?

Be strong and resolute.........these are the times that try mens' (and womens') souls.

Steve

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Tour
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Toys: The other driver's response was quite dismissive and he was (obviously) more concerned with what this was going to do to HIS license. The worst part is I was "lit up like a Christmas Tree" - despite having a manual transmission, I was still on the brakes so there really isn't any excuse other than inattention. Thankful I was on the brakes as otherwise I likely would have slammed into the car ahead of me, causing insurance nightmares...

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
3,006 Posts
Pardon moi but the other driver was an a-hole......he knows that he's automatically at fault, the poor dear!

Hope his insurance goes wayyyyy up.......let him dismiss that!

Hope the car gets fixed PERFECTLY..........I'd be broiling if my 03 was smacked like yours.........cannot even imagine what I'd have done in your place. It would not have been pretty.

Good luck, man........and stay on the other guy's insurance.........did I mention that he's a dickweed?

Steve

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Tour
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm still a Manitoban who is in British Columbia conducting business who returns home to Manitoba every month or two so yes, I have public insurance. And yes, the repairs had better be PERFECT (not ALMOST...) or else I'm going to be a pain in SOMEONE'S side (or lower...)

Yeah, it hurts a BUNCH. My first new vehicle. Most expensive SINGLE purchase I have ever made in cash. My pride and joy that I spent 10 months shopping for. The vehicle I "wash" in the rain with a wash glove SEPARATE from the regularly scheduled car washes (wand wash, no brush... EVER!).

·
Premium Member
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited High Torque CVT
776 Posts
Aww man I am really sorry to hear about your new car! Just research local body shops and get recomendations from friends and you will most likely not be dissapointed. Talk to the people who are doing the work and express to them how much your car means to you!

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
awe man, that sucks..
I always give everyone around me the stink-eye :huh: while I'm stopped at lights, I hope your uh, insurance situation doesn't complicate things with icbc.. :icon_frown:

if you need a bodyshop down there the VIC crew always has recommendations..

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Tour
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MPI is willing to let me have the work done locally but I may be having to do a quick turn and burn back to Winnipeg in the beginning of February anyway so I MAY have it appraised and dealt with through the dealership. I have a guy in North Surrey (Pattison Group) that's been at body work for 26 years who comes HIGHLY recommended as long as HE does the work personally.

Will advise.

And thanks for the Solidarity, folks! It means a LOT to me. I'm a BIG, tough fella but this really kicked me in the guts. Even IF they wrote it off (which they wouldn't), I'd be hesitant because now that I approach 20k kms, I FINALLY have it all broken in. Engine sounds AWESOME, tranny has loosened up a bit, clutch release is more linear, steering has started running straighter... I'd hate to have to break in another one.

·
Registered
09 Forester XT
23 Posts
So sorry.

I know the feeling, I was rear ended in the same manner last year, my Forester XT was 6 months old (but not by a mini bus!!). It was a real drag, but the bright spot was, when I got her back, she looked & drove the same. Hoping all the repairs go quickly and smoothly.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Tour
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright, so here I am two months later...

Took the Fozzie back "home" to Winnipeg to get her all fixed up. ~$3500 in damage. Auto body shop connected to the dealership had her for 2 days and I got 'er back with a nasty rattle still coming from the liftgate and a problem latching.

I'll spare you the details but after 3 weeks of back and forth, she's fixed and the only GOOD thing I can say is that as part of the paint work, the dealership's sticker is now nowhere to be seen on my Fozzie.

Thanks for the support, guys! I CAN tell you I was thrilled to have FT AWD coming through the mountains yesterday. MAN, was it nasty coming south on BC Hwy 5 from the Yellowhead!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts