Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

401 - 420 of 432 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #401
nice mod! can you send me a photo from a Streetside view so I can see the position of the rack.

Mine is sitting about 4 inches from the back gate when open. The front is about Center of the sunroof.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes I have the extension in there. Found it wasn’t quite enough room without it. We travel with the dogs in the back when we go camping so I had to have somewhere to put things. Really like the roller cam straps with loop ends for strapping down. I’ve debated installing an awning and/or work lights but havent really had the need to justify when getting out.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #406
Cool. The ARB awning is on my list. They have a room attachment too. The combo looks pretty cool for quick overnight trips and getting out of the sun at ultra marathon events. I chuckled at the thought of a road shower, but I am having more thoughts about it too. It would be great at Ultra events. I usually rent an RV or borrow one from my parents, but with the awning, room and road shower, I would have everything I need on the car I love to drive. :geek:

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #407
Ok, its TIME!!!! Here comes several posts on the latest mod. These will come in several posts, since the forum can only support 10 photos per post.

Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Package Install​

This mod was pretty fun. I only had to install the Warn Bumper one time, but I did have to pull the bumper cover off about four times to make some additional modz. I think I hold the world record for fastest bumper cover removal time at 3:42 seconds. J

The Warn bumper for brush grill is no joke. The bumper itself is powder coated steel and weighs in at 60 pounds. I tried to take a photo, but it was too have to hold with one hand while snapping a photo with the other. All of this gear is high quality and looks and feels the part.

Here are the parts I used for this install:

• Warn semi-hidden bumper - #106413
  • Warn semi-hidden grille guard - #106236
  • SmittyBilt 1/2" D ring shackles (2) - mount to provision points on Warn bumper - #13046B
  • Black Oak 20" Pro Series 2.0 LED Driving Combo (5W OSRAM spot+flood) - mount in winch location
  • Black Oak 3" Pro Series 2.0 LED Spot (10W Cree) - mount on top of grille guard – Purchased dual lamp harness set so one set of wires will run to the battery and switch.
  • Diode Dynamics 3" SS3 Pro Yellow fog lamps - stock location with stock harness – Purchased lamp to harness adapter. I also bought the Type A mounting kit which is built for the Subaru models. This was easy-peasy plug-n-play stuff and worth every penny.
  • OEM Premium fog lamp covers - for 3" round lamps in place of the rectangular LED fog lamps - 57731SJ050-Left / 57731SJ040 Right
  • OEM dash switches - not sure these will function correctly. I was not able to determine pin function on the bench. DID NOT WORK. SRH Switch 83002SJ000 and Auto Start/Stop 83002AL161. I used the Black Oak switches that came with the LED sets.

Okay, let’s get into the install photos and descriptions

Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Install-1 Unboxed the bumper. Instructions were pretty good, but use black and white photos. C’mon man! For this kind of money I want full color and large size photos. There was no mention of the shutter motor being reinstalled or modded. I had issues with this as I will describe in that section.

Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Install-3 I had to purchase the Premium series round fog light covers. They are not as pretty as the Sport model, but you need these to install aftermarket round fog lamps.

Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Install-4 I went with the yellow lens Diode Dynamics SS3 pro lamps. After a test drive, I kinda want to try the white lens. I bought these separate so I will be pulling the bumper off yet again to replace the lenses for a trial.

Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Install-5 Black Oak 3” Pod Spot lights. They have 10w CREE LEDs. Compared to the OSRAM, the color temp is a little lower (more yellow). I am not sure I like the color difference yet. Blue protective film still in place.

Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Install-6 Black Oak 20” Combo Driving light. This is a dual layer LED strip with 40 LEDs. It has a combination of spot and flood lights. This strip uses the OSRAM 5w LEDs. They are a crisp white color.

Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Install-2 Ok, here is one final look at the stock front bumper with a tow hook. Time for the upgrade! No turning back once I cut the bumper cover.

Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Install-7 Bumper cover is off. Here you can see the custom painted Hella Godzilla Horn pack. Below that is the stock bumper (I pulled the foam off already) and below that is the radiator shutter assembly. The shutter motor is on the driver side. It is behind the rubber flap. This has 3 bolts. Two mounts to the bumper and the center mounts to the underskirt piece below. There was no mention in the instructions on what to do with this piece. So, I left it out. The problem I encountered is that the Engine Light came on, RAB and Eyesight were inactive. Error code U0284. This shutter assembly opens and closes a “shutter” that lets more air in to cool off the radiator. I found no way to reinstall the assembly, so I had to chop it up and use the motor and a small section of the shutter so the motor would not free-spin and reactivate the Error code. More details on this and the mod, later.

Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Install-8 The bumper cover, bumper and shutter assembly are off the car.

Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Install-9 The Warn box is the perfect height to be a “buddy.” From here I just lifted one side at a time to anchor in the bolts. 8 bolts total and you will reuse the OEM bolts.

Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Install-10 All of this went pretty fast. About 30 minutes and the bumper was in place and torqued. The next six hours or so was spent on the rest of the install and multiple modz.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #408
Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Install-11 Now it is time to install the Black Oak 20” LED strip. The Warn bumper has several precut holes for their winches and for a light option. I found the horizontal precut sections to be a great fit. On the passenger side, I had to use an angle grinder to cut in a slot to slide in the support bolt. This way the bolt fits into the Warn factory slots and I did not have to drill more holes to mount the support bracket. There was a ¼” gap on each side of the LED strip so this took awhile to find the right combo of metal spacers and washers to get a snug fit in this Warn precut slot. Once I had the right combo, I was able to tighten everything up and I can still reposition with strong force, but not enough for even off-road driving to move the strip. I will share some videos later on. They are pretty cool and worth checking out!

Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Install-12 Here is a close-up photo of the groove I cut. Once everything was fitted, I pulled out the light and painted the metal for protection. It took a couple hours to dry so I was off working on the bumper cutting.

Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Install-13 Now it is time to cut up the bumper cover. The tiny photos in the instruction sheet did not really show where you need to cut. It also recommended taping and cutting from the inside. There is a well done video by Rally Sport Direct that shows this step too. They cut from the front side of the bumper and this was the method I chose too. To be safe, my first round of cutting was conservative at the outside edges. I did several fit checks and more cutting in order to get this all right. RSD also describes the use of a dremel, exacto knife, air saw and mini torch to do the cutting and finishing the edge. I love using the dremel, but I know from tons of experience that using a dremel on plastic will often melt the plastic during the cut and it will weld the plastic back together and often takes too long.

Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Install-14 So, for this project I opted to use a Craftsman cordless jig saw. WOW! Great choice. This cuts clean and fast. I use the dremel with sander on a couple spots, but for the most part, I had very little cleanup work to do. I did not have to use a file at all. Once I was happy with the final cut, I went back with steel wool and rubbed the edge. That was about it. This cutting and fitting only took about an hour, maybe less.

Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Install-15 First fit. Pretty good. You can see the outer edges need to run in the same line angle. But, I also did not want to lose the fastener hole as I knew this was important to keep the bumper cover tight over the Warn bumper. All good choices.

Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Install-16 Close-up of the outer edge on the first cut.

Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Install-17 I made two more cut attempts before I got what I wanted in the final cut. I have a clean line with the same angle as the Warn bumper and then a curve backwards underneath to retain the mounting hole for under the bumper.

Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Install-20 Next task was to remove the Sport bezel covers and LED lights (I am going to sell these if anyone wants them $150 for everything. I think it is about $400 new). Then I did a fit check with the DD Type A mounting plate. Looks awesome. Since there are only two holes to use a screw, I popped out the OEM screw holders and installed 2 #10 screw holders and screws. These were very secure.

Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Install-21 Back side is mounted. As the instructions suggested, I pointed the lamps as far down as I could.

Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Install-22 You can’t see it in the photo, but there is a ¼” gap at the lower edge of the fog light just like the instructions said to do.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #409
Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Install-23 The bumper cover is installed and the grille guard was added. I later had to pull the bumper cover off several times to work on the shutter assembly mod and it comes out pretty easily with the grille guard in place. No problems there.

Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Install-24 Pod lights mount on the top position. So, I have DD yellow go lamps down low and running on the factory switch and harness. The Black Oak 20” strip is a Combo driving light, so it has a combination of flood and spot LEDs and last is the Pods on top of the bar as spot beams.

Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Install-25 Testing!

Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Install-26 I was hoping to mod some OEM switches but these did not work properly, so I had to use the Black Oak switches. I did want them mounted in the switch console. And I wanted then to be stacked on top of each other. So, I moved some of the other switches around. Here is a photo of the stock location with two plugs.

Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Install-27 The switches protrude out a little bit, but I filled the back side with black ski stuff used to repair ski bases. This worked pretty well and filled the gaps you can see in the photos. The top switch operates the BO Spot pods and the bottom switch operates the BO combo strip light.

Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Install-30 Smittybilt shackles installed. Here is a close-up of the bumper and bumper cover. The lines and fit look nice. As good as I hoped and cutting with a jigsaw was really fast and easy.

Warn Bumper and LED Lighting Install-31 Here is another close-up where you can see the OEM skid plate tucked nicely under the bumper. The skid plate required no mods and no removal at all. The bumper cover is nicely tucked and saving that mounting hole paid off. It is needed to keep the bumper cover tight over the Warn bumper.

Warn Bumper-1 Here are a few shots after a bath and sunny day.

Warn Bumper-2

Warn Bumper-3

After the install, I got an error code U0824. The engine light was on and RAB and Eyesight were not functional. So, I called it a night and the next day I began tackling this problem and created a mod that prevented the error code. More discussion in the next post.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #410
The error code, U0824 is a direct result of removing the shutter assembly and motor. At first, I thought I could just reattach the motor and the problem would be solved. It worked until the car heated up and the motor just free spun since the shutter was removed and the error code returned.

There were no instructions regarding what to do with the shutter assembly, so I really wonder what others have done. I can’t imagine I was the only person that got the error code. Maybe others reinstalled the whole assembly, but I don’t think it was possible. I chose not to drop the bumper to try it out. It just did not look possible.

So, here are the photos and mod instructions.

Shutter Motor Mod-1 The first thing I did was pull the motor and marked the open position. This is how I found the assembly. I plugged it in and did a test. After turning on the ignition without starting, the motor turns the shutter closed. I then pulled the motor and marked this position. I located the motor near the harness on the driver side and secured it in place. After going for a test drive, the engine heated up and the motor free spinned and the error code returned. I consulted Dr. Google and I saw other people making mods for different cars. Essentially, the motor must meet resistance and have a stopping point. So, I decided the best mod is one that involved parts of the shutter itself.

Shutter Motor Mod-3 The first thing I did was use that trusting jig saw and cut off the shutter. I retained the spindle that fits the motor. If you look close you will see the spindle has a raised section in the middle of the shaft. This stopper will prevent the spindle from free turning. I did a lot of modding to this piece to get it right. It was small and functional. Perfect.

Shutter Motor Mod-4 With the shutter gone, the spindle had nothing to keep it from working its way out of the motor. So, I used a pipe holder and screwed this into the end piece. Now, the spindle has nowhere to go.

Shutter Motor Mod-5 I mounted the motor and zip tied the modified shutter assembly in the same general area as I did before. This mod works! The car now thinks the shutter is functional and it will move the modified parts as if it were whole.

This mod took about an hour.

So, now I just had to wait for night time to do some light aiming and testing. Then I wanted to explore a back country rough road for another test. I did some still shots, but a video really does the trick on showcasing the differences in lighting while driving. So, I will just share a few photos and then you can check out the 3 videos.

The OEM LEDs have that very distinctive black bar where the light ends. The problem with this off road is that when you bounce in and out of terrain, there is a portion of the road you just can’t see. The videos show this very well. For this still test, I found a curve in the road and I turned the lights on one at a time so you can see the difference in lighting patterns.

LED Off road Still Test_Lo beam

LED Off road Still Test_Hi beam

LED Off road Still Test_Lo beam-DD Fog Nice yellow hue and very low to the road and wide.

LED Off road Still Test_Lo beam-DD Fog-BO Combo This light makes the black bar disappear. This is ideal for off road driving. More visibility when bouncing around.

LED Off road Still Test_Lo beam-DD Fog-BO Combo-BO Spot So, this light does not add too much to the visibility range. You will see that it is little more yellow compared to the OSRAM color and it adds a little more brightness in the center area and higher up. In the future I am going to do more testing where I point these outward. I think it would be nice to use these lights to expand the visibility range, since it does not do that much more than the combo light. If I end up doing this, then the lights can only be used off road. If I need brights in a winter storm, the fog and combo lights should work fine. More on this subject after a couple weeks of testing.

LED Off road Switches Here you can see the switches are on and stacked in the switch console. It sticks out more than the OEM switched, but the red LEDs are a nice match with the other switches and the orange footwell lighting.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #411
I have never posted videos before, so I hope this works out. I am posting three videos.

The first is a short clip at a nearby golf course that has a storage container in the parking lot. I spend some time cycling through the lights shining on this can so you can see the difference in visibility pattern and colors between the lights. The container was about 15 yards ahead of the car.

The next two videos are me driving on a pretty rough dirt road near my home. This was a fun drive and I cycle through the lights and talk a little bit about the differences I was observing.

On this drive I hit a couple tight turns so you can see how the lights track the road. You can also hear the sound of the LeChute exhaust and AEM intake. They sound great, even with 100+ pounds of Dynamat and the windows rolled up. At the end I catch myself driving too fast. It was quite fun and this car handles amazing with all the performance mods done in the past year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice write up. Everything looks great. Good job keeping yourself occupied. I’ve got some light envy going on. The awning would be a good addition, for the use you described and the water tanks are nice. I have looked into those a bit and can’t help but wonder if the ones with the hand pump on them are better or not. I’ve chuckled more so at the idea of getting one of these.
HOTTAP v2 Essentials Kit

What did you do with your old tow hook? I have a Raceseng one sitting in my shed. Maybe we can do a giveaway? I also have a set of chrome led fog light covers if anyone wants them. :)

So what’s next for you? I’m planning to do a CVT cooler, hidden tow hitch, and now some ditch lights. I also need to pick up a decent air compressor and deflator. Wish there was room for an onboard in the engine compartment. Also, I need to find a solution to protect the paint. I’ve got some pretty nasty scars from branches on narrow trails.

Happy Modding!

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #418
Nice write up. Everything looks great. Good job keeping yourself occupied. I’ve got some light envy going on. The awning would be a good addition, for the use you described and the water tanks are nice. I have looked into those a bit and can’t help but wonder if the ones with the hand pump on them are better or not. I’ve chuckled more so at the idea of getting one of these.
HOTTAP v2 Essentials Kit

What did you do with your old tow hook? I have a Raceseng one sitting in my shed. Maybe we can do a giveaway? I also have a set of chrome led fog light covers if anyone wants them. :)

So what’s next for you? I’m planning to do a CVT cooler, hidden tow hitch, and now some ditch lights. I also need to pick up a decent air compressor and deflator. Wish there was room for an onboard in the engine compartment. Also, I need to find a solution to protect the paint. I’ve got some pretty nasty scars from branches on narrow trails.

Happy Modding!
Thank JspyGun

The tow hook is in the parts pile. It was a cheap chinese hook and not really worth much. I bought the awning. It arrived already, but not the room kit. I also have a bracket made for the Yakima rack on its way from LP Adventure. So, I hope to mount this up next weekend and put it to use.

I have the Smittybilt air compressor. Quite awesome and good value. I like their stuff. For deflators, I bought this nice set of adjustables. You set them to the desired pressure (15psi for me) and then just screw them onto your valve stems until the pressure equalizes. Then remove and drive off with deflated tires for sand and other tough terrain. They were about $20 for the set.

As for the next project, I just snuck one in. I have been debating on lifting the Forester another 3/4" to get the full 2" lift. The parts arrived from Primitive Racing in 2 days and it took me about 6 hours to install. I did have to do a little modding to the shock tower plastic trim piece in order to remove the factory studs and install the new studs. All worked out great. The car drives straight and I took a lap down the local dirt road. It is great, but I still want to take it in for another alignment, just in case. I can notice the height difference.

Next up is a set of LP Adventure rock sliders and a Smittybilt Hi Lift jack.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You’re on a roll. What from primitive did you get to lift you up? Im running their king spring setup now and would love another 3/4” to get to the 2” mark. You’ll need that to make up for the clearance loss from the sliders. I’ve gone into Primitive and begged them to make sliders a few months ago, he said he has thought a lot about it because of the global platform being more universal and to check back in 6 mos... staying hopeful.

My Subaru dealer claims the eyesight system needs to be recalibrated every time you change the ride hide. I had them install my lift kit initially as it was an option and they cover it under warranty. They have a close relationship with Primitive since they are local.

I’ve been leaning a lot towards a slightly bigger Viair compressor for faster inflation times, and the deflators you’re talking about are the exact ones I was looking at. Mods on my end have slowed since I bought a Traeger.... 🤤Am going to blackout the badges, smoke the rear reflectors and smoke the amber turn signal on the front headlights. Getting some budget mods in.

Can’t wait to see the Awning

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #420
I went with 3/4" spacers in front and rear. I will post the install pics in teh next post. The King springs add 1.25". Subframe does some correction and for LP Adventure they use a full 2" lift with 1/2" corrective drop with the subframe spacers. ReadyLift omits the subframe correction and only uses a 1.5" lift in the rear. So, I thought I shoudl be fine with the full 2" lift and correction with subframe drop. Test drive proves it. Felt great!

You make a good point regarding the rock sliders. I kinda forgot that this will cause a loss of ground clearance. I chatted with Kirsten back in January and she said they were buiding the sliders. She said to check back in March. When I did, she mentioned that it took a back burner in production since the shop was spending more time on mods for the new Outback. If you can pursuade them, I would be instrested too, but I really do like the LP Adventure sliders. That will most likely be my next purchase. And then I think I am done. :eek: :unsure:

I really want to scope out your blackened signals and badges. That sounds awesome.

I splurged for a RecTec grill and love it. I also bought the sear kit and that grate is the bomb. If you don't have one, I strongly suggest you get one. I get the best grill marks ever on steaks and burgers!

401 - 420 of 432 Posts