Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

381 - 400 of 432 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #382
Thanks! I'm not sure why some parts got the color and others were skipped. I would imagine it has to do with assembly line work, at least for the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport CVT
19 Posts
There is a lot of concern about drivetrain issues, rightfully so. I have not experienced any problems. Your package plans look good and hard to go wrong with a good lift kit and that wheel/tire package.

The three most reputable kits on the market which have their own strategies for addressing the geometry corrections are LP-Adventures, Primitive Racing and ReadyLift.

They are all good, but different. I have the Primitive kit installed. Here are the things to consider.

LP has a 2" spacer lift kit. It costs about $800 and provides great instructions and lots of pieces to address the geometry. No perfomance changes, just cosmetic and wheel clearance. Installation is doable at home with time and good tools.

Primitive has a 1.25" King spring lift kit. About $800. Instructions are not as good, but addresses the geomtry in a similar fashion to LP. They do not recommend adding spacers. This is the only kit with improved performance and if you want better susupension and overall better handling on/off road, this is the only option right now that I am aware of. Installation is much harder since you have to replace springs. I did this at home, but was unable to compress the King springs with a hand compressor. I had to have the local Subaru dealer do this for me. They charged $100 but I expect other shops to charge more. So, exlplore these options first.

ReadyLift is a 2" spacer Lift kit. About $300. Straight forward and can be done at home with good tools in much less time than the others. No perfomance changes, just cosmetic and wheel clearance. What you need to know about this kit is that this is the option that most Subaru dealers will install, because it is high quality with an installation price of about $1200. The other two kits will come with install price around $2000, so they are less likely to do those.

For me the decision was a no-brainer. I always want more performance, so I went with the Primitive kit.
I've recently watched a few youtube videos about lifting. I see what you mean now about suspension lift vs. body lift in regards to performance, center of gravity effects, etc. I believe we'll dig deeper into the sprint lift kit and shoot for the added performance as you mentioned. That all makes more sense now. Thanks again for sharing all your mods. Such great stuff and like you said, never enough time!
Cat

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #387
So I installed the Perrin parts today. This was a really good experiment and roll of the dice.

Many times when shopping for performance parts for new cars, the online stores and manufacturers do not list pre-existing parts in their catalog until they can verify fit. Often times this can take a few years and it is frustrating for inpatient people like me. :rolleyes:

These four parts fit the 2019/2020 Forester and I wanted to share. I bought two Bling and two performance parts. The only item listed on the Perrin sight as a direct fit for this vehicle is the Steering Dampener.

Here is what I bought, all in stealth black.
Perrin oil cap
Perrin battery hold down
Perrin steering dampener
Perrin Pitch Stop brace

The instructions are very good and simple. The hardest install was the steering dampener, but I managed to get er done.

I went out for a test spin tonight and wow! The steering is rock solid, tight. The punch from a stop is better than the car has ever been and that AEM cold-air intake is throaty and surely adds near the advertised 8HP boost. I was most imoressed with the handling in tight turns hitting about 55 mph and not a skid or anything.

Here are some photos and part #s.

Here is a look at the battery tie down bar. Perfect fit.

Here is a picture of the OEM pitch stop brace. It is made of plastic and has a large internal grommet which I expect provides a lot of movement for comfort riding.

Here is a comparison between Perrin and OEM.

I had to remove the AEM air intake to access all the bolts.This went right in without any trouble at all.

This was the most challenging part to install, but offered the best performance from the lot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congrats on your latest Subie purchase. Glad to be of some help. Even with AEM intake, LeChute exhaust muffler and the monster roof rack and tire the car is still pretty quiet. Much quieter than my 09 Forester.

The best bang for the buck performance modz has been the AEM intake and STI strut tower brace. Best overall performance mod was the Primititve Racing King spring lift kit and wheel package.

I still have a few more things on my list. Now with a full size spare on the roof rack, I can move out the donut spare tire and use that space for the amps or maybe the CW subwoofer for some more punch. Not sure yet. I also want to add the Warn front bumper with lighting package and LP adventure rock sliders. Then I can add a hi-lift jack to the roof rack. Oh, I was also eying the ARB awning system with enclosure. So, many future upgrades and not enough time. :)
Your future ideas sound great! I've been eyeballing the Primitive Racing King Spring lift kit as well as their aluminum skid plates (the 2 that go behind the front aluminum skid that Subaru makes) and will be keeping an eye out for those during Black Friday sales.

BTW, I got my AEM intake installed yesterday and I agree that it is a quality set up. I was surprised at how much plastic the OEM intake uses. So many chambers to hold air in the OEM intake design--including one fairly large chamber that resembles a milk jug and protrudes into the area directly above the front wheel well. My only concern with the AEM set up is that the AEM air filter housing is not airtight like the OEM air filter housing and hot engine air will be sucked in at some point. Regardless, I think AEM did a good job designing a cone-type filter for our car and being mindful of incorporating the Subaru air inlet so that air from outside is getting to the cone filter as much as is possible.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #389
Ok, I made another purchase. Should be here in a few weeks. I picked up the ARB semi-hidden front bumper with brush guard and a Black Oak 20" LED driving lamp strip with two 3" cube spot lamps. So, this will provide additional off-road lighting. I will have the stock lamps and high beams along with stock LED floods and the additional Black Oak driving lamps and spot beams on top of that. So, lighting is stacked from flood, to drving to spot. I hope it turns out nice.

I do not think I will ever use a winch, so I thought the lighting would be more practical. I have two open slots on the switch panel located on the left side of the steering wheel. I purchased OEM switches and I am going to try to run these lights on those switches for a factory appearance. I did by some decal to place on these switches, so I am excited to see how it turns out. I plan to rearrange the current switches so I can stack the new lighting switches on top of each other in the same column. The top switch will activate the SPOT pods which are mounted on the brush guard and the bottom switch will activate the driving light which is just below in the winch location on the bumper. (y)

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #390
Ok, so one more quick update on lighting. There was a great thread from Luxman999. He has a Sport and swapped out the rectangular LED fog lamp base cover to the round style found in the Premium trim. So, I am going to make this upgrade and then install the Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro SAE Yellow Fog lamps. These are road rated and powerful. Now I will have a full aftermarket upgraded lighting package that will fool the groundhogs into thinking the summer is here. o_O

I hope I ordered the right parts for the base covers. I ordered 57731SJ050 Left and 57731SJ040 Right.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #394
Ok, ok the wait is over. This is the biggest project I have tackled since installing the Primitive Racing Lift kit.

Most of the parts are at home awaiting my arrival. I will be installing the Warn semi hidden winch bumper kit with grille brush gaurd. Since a winch is not really practical for me, I plan to install a full LED lighting package instead.

Equipment Line Up:
Warn semi-hidden bumper
Warn semi-hidden grille guard
Smitty Built 1/2" D ring shackles (2) - mount to provision points on Warn bumper
Black Oak 20" Pro Series 2 LED Combo (spot+flood) - mount in winch location
Black Oak 3" Pro Series 2 LED Spot - mount on top of grille guard (I may go under depending on look and function)
Diode Dynamics 3" SS3 Pro Yellow fog lamps - stock location with stock harness
OEM Premium fog lamp covers - for 3" round lamps in place of the rectangular LED fog lamps.
OEM dash switches - not sure these will function correctly. I was not able to determine pin function on the bench.

This install will require cutting out a large section of the from bumper cover to fit the new bumper. The bumper is heavy duty steel that mounts directly to the vehicle frame points. It will replace the small steel bumper located under the plastic bumper cover. It should not affect the mounting location of the front skid plate, which is the OEM aluminum skid plate. The new bumper will change the approach angle and provide better rock clearance. The Black Oak LED strip and cube lights will be mounted to the new bumper. DD fog lights will be mounted in the stock fog lamp locations after I swap out the covers to accept the round fog lamps.

More to post over the next couple days.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #396
JSpy,

After install, I got the engine light and critical error code for the shutter device being removed. I just left the wiring open. I later sent back and instlled the motro to the electrical plug, but after drviing for awhile the check engine and error code came back on.

The instructions said nothing about reinstalling this shutter device. What did you do to resolve this issue?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Scott, I had mine installed by Rallitek. They are the ones that worked directly with Warn to design this product. I tried to peak in there to see how the wiring ended up, but couldnt make it out. (Pouring rain and I have no garage). If you can tell me where to look i can try to see how they handled this, but my basic understanding was that the temperature sensor that actuates the shutter is all that remains. I could call and ask them Monday as well. I plan to go back in soon to have them do a cvt transmission cooler.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #398
Thanks. I am very curious. I will post some photos tonight of the project. You will be able to see my modz to make this work. I went back in there today and cut up the shutter system and rigged the part so the motor has somthing to turn, thus simulating that the shutter is still in there.

The shutter would be mounted under the bumper bottom plate. It extends the length of the radiator. It is really hard to see or access with the bumper in place. I did not pull the bumper back out because I figured there was no way it could fit. So, I modded the hell out of it. I wonder if I am the only one having this problem. There have been a few other installs and I have not seen anyone else complain about it.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #399
BTW, I would love to see more photos of your ride. Especially the roof rack and where you have it mounted. I have the megawarrior with extension and it created too much road noise. I pulled out the extension and it is much quieter now. I am curious how far backwards you have yours mounted.

Cheers,

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m curious to see your new shutter. :cool:
I went with the load warrior because it was not as wide as the mega, but still seemed the most versatile to mount things to. This was a day I did a test fitting of the propane tank mount. (That project was ridiculous and ended up costing way to much, but i was determined) I ended it up pushing the whole rack forward so the tank clears the rear hatch by about a half inch when installed. I get a bit more road noise but its not enough to bother me.

381 - 400 of 432 Posts