Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

301 - 312 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
41 Posts
I was calling around to nearby places yesterday. Got a ballpark quote of $750 over the phone from one place, pending the inspection of the paint.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
I was calling around to nearby places yesterday. Got a ballpark quote of $750 over the phone from one place, pending the inspection of the paint.
That is a fair price. What brand coating do they use? It shoudl take a day and a half to complete. If they say it is less, then I would be suspicious. I would expect less time on a brand new car with fresh paint and no blemishes. Any driven car will require a full prep with clay bar treatment.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I love my setup with the infinity 3-way powered by the kicker key amp, not changing but I would love to hear a review about these in a Forester. Kenwood 3way setup.. looks pretty promising.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
I have been waiting a long time to install a lift kit. The time has come. I decided to purchase the Primitive Racing 1.25" lift kit with King springs. I am going with the stealth black color, of course.

What I liked most about this kit is that the springs add performance for handling and towing capacity by preventing rear end sag.

I really wanted a 2" lift, but the techs at Primitive recommend sticking at the 1.25" lift and not adding additional lift spacers. This will keep the geometry correct.

As for wheels and tires, I am going with my winter wheels, 17" black Drag wheels. Using a smaller wheel will allow me to have more tire sidewall, which is better for rocky terrain. For tires, no doubt I love the look of the BFG KO2 tires. I am hoping that my local tire shop can help me out on this project. I really want to add the 245/65/R17. This will have a diameter of 1.9" larger than the stock setup, 225/55/R18. This is about 1" on each side of the tire and it looks like I have about 3" of room right now. So, this should fit and allow plenty of room for travel.

I already have a set of H&R 30mm wheel spacers, so I should have plenty of clearance when turning. I am most concerned on the clearance between front and rear of the tire when straight and under load. If these do not work out, then I know the 225/65/R17 will fit. These tires provide an increase of .8" diameter which is about .5" on each side of the tire under the fender.

The kit looks pretty simple to install compared to the LP Adventure kit, but it does require swapping springs, which I am finding to be quite intimidating. I plan to rent the spring compressors for this project, so we shall see how these work out.

I will post an update with lots of photos and project notes in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’m contemplating the rallitek springs, so any impressions you can provide post install would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
The Primitive Racing kit arrived today. All looks good with black springs. Instructions came with all pieces except for how to remove and install the springs. Liabilty reasons I am sure.

Everything in this kits seems to be high quality and the instructions are pretty simple. It seems like I can do all this in a home garage. I was woried that adding the spacers in the rear subframe would be very hard and I may need a couple jacks to do it. It looks like you just loosen all the bolts without removing them so the alignment does not get out of whack. Then you just add one spacer at a time. We shall see how this goes next weekend.

I also stopped by my local Discount Tire and told them what I was up to regarding the lift kit and tier options. They were happy to order two sets of BFG TA/KO2 tires for me. I am hoping to install a larger 245/65/R17 tire. With a 1.25" lift, and 30mm spacers, I am 90% conifident these tires which are 1.8" taller than stock will work. The other tire on order is a BFG TA/KO2 tire 225/65R17. Others have installed these tires which are 0.8" larger than stock size on non lifted cars and no spacers, with no problems.

I also have an appointment for a wheel alignment at the dealer. I am impressed with all the pieces in the kit that are designed at correcting the geometry to maintain factory angles and performance.

I am a little less nervous about swapping springs after seeing a few online videos. It actually seems rather simple and easy with the struts off the car. A couple years ago I had to replace springs on a 1970 El Camino and this was very hard to do for springs on the car. The compressors were hard to fit and operate due to space restrictions. But, on struts, it seems like the spring is secure and you remove the whole strut, then with no confinement at all you can use the compressor to squeeze the springs to remove the old ones and install the new springs. Seems pretty straight forward. Time will tell.

I hope to post a complete tutorial at the end of this install for others to follow.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
My 2019 Subaru Forester Sport – Let the Modz Begin!

Table of Contents - - - Post #308; Page 16​

This is long overdue. In order to help me and others find some of the projects and references, I have decided to add a Table of Contents. I will update this periodically as new projects are added. I will be categorizing and then listing discussion topics by order of appearance. The Post # and page number will be added, but keep in mind that pages may change if website updates are made. The Post # is much less likely to change.

Engine and Exhaust

• LeChute Axle-Back Exhaust Muffler Install – Post #43, #48, #141, #149; Page 3,8.

Exterior and Body

• Subaru OEM Aluminum Front Skid Plate – Post #2; Page 1.
  • Primitive Racing Mid and Rear Skid Plate Install – Post #43, #48; Page 3.
  • Rally Armor Orange Mud Flaps– Post #72; Page 4.
  • Hella Sharptone Quadzilla Horn 4-pack Install– Post #97, #100, 110-112; Page 5,6.
  • Chemical Guys Carbon Ceramic Flex C9 coating Install – Post #298; Page 15.

Driver Assist, Eyesight and Starlink

• Starlink Red Light Error after Sound System Upgrade – Post #192-195, #219, #224, #287; Page 10,11,15.

Harman Kardon Sound System Upgrade (This gets its own Header)

• First Subwoofer Installation (Alpine 10” in Fiberglass Enclosure) – Post #4; Page 1.
  • JL Audio Subwoofer Amplifier Install – Post #5; Page 1.
  • Hybrid Audio Technologies (HAT) Speaker Install – Post #6; Page 1.
  • First Full Sound System Install Details with HAT speakers, Fosgate 3.Sixty processor and JL Audio Amps – Post #41, #42, #55, #58, #66; Page 3,4.
  • Sound Deadening Material Install FULL CAR COVERAGE – Post #66, #76, #101, #141, #148, #149, #177, #181, #227; Page 4,6,8,9,10,12.
  • HK Stock Subwoofer Enclosure Modz – Post #76, #92, #93, #143, #153, #163, #164, #168, #196, #202, #211, #216; Page 4,5,8,9,10,11.
  • Second Sound System Switchover to Critical Mass speakers and Amps – Post #79, #85, #93, #142, #143, #147, #152, #153, #169; Page 4,5,8,9.
  • Discussion: Car Audio Tuning, Tips, Tools and General How To – Post #86, #94, #136, #177, #212; Page 5,7,9,11.
  • Discussion: Other Car Audio Options, speakers, amps, RF upgrade, Premium/Base model equipment – Post #162, #185, #187, #232-272, #272, #297, #303; Page 9,10,12,13,14, 15,16.
  • Power Wire Big 3 Upgrade for Car Audio – Post #190, #191; Page 10.
  • For Sale Stereo Components I STILL HAVE MOST OF THESE ITEMS – Post #203; Page 11.
  • HK Head Unit Software Update Gen 3.1 – Post #246; Page 12.
  • Center Channel Speaker Install – Post #287, #287; Page 15.

Interior and Electrical

• Wilson 4G Cell Phone Booster Antenna Install – Post #2; Page 1.
  • Carbon/Orange Steering Wheel and Front/Rear Emblem Badge – Post #3, #123, #126, #130, #134; Page 1,7.
  • Carbon/Alum Door Sill Plates (Aftermarket) – Post #3; Page 1.
  • Sport Pedal Installation (Aftermarket) – Post #17, #70; Page 1,4.

Lighting and Electrical

• Auto-Dimming Side Mirror Install – Post #2; Page 1.
  • Footwell and Cubby Hole Illumination Install (Aftermarket Orange LEDs) – Post #3, #103; Page 1,6.
  • Forester Touring Headlights with LED DRLs (Boomerang) Installed with Wiring Diagrams– Post #283-286; Page 15.

Suspension and Handling

• STI Shock Tower Support Brace Install – POST #2, #82; Page 1,5.
  • Discussion on three Features I love: Paddle Shifters, X-Mode and Power Gate – Post #12; Page 1.
  • Primitive Racing 1.25” Lift Kit with King Springs – Post #304, #307; Page 16.

Wheels and Tires

• DRAG 17” Winter Wheels and TPMS programming – Post #3; Page 1.
  • DRAG 17” with Subaru Logo Wheel Badge Install – Post #24; Page 2.
  • TPMS Home Programming with ATEQ – Post #220; Page 11.

Towing and Hauling

• Torklift Stealth Ecohitch Class 3, 2” Hitch Receiver Install – Post #21, #23, #56; Page 2,3.

Utility, Protection and Accessories

• Thule Aero Cross Bars Install with Yakima Ski rack – Post #2; Page 1.
  • Sunroof Deflector– Post #2; Page 1.
  • WRX/STI Vortex Generator Install – Post #2, #60; Page 1,3.
  • Rear Cargo Nets Installed – Post #2; Page 1.
  • Links to some Aftermarket parts – Post #38, #74, #82, #130, #134, #162; Page 2,4,5,7,9.
  • Subaru Ownership Badge Install – Post #43; Page 3.
  • Orange Accent Color (Aftermarket Spray Paint) – Post #100; Page 5.
  • Off Road Recovery Equipment – Post #197; Page 10.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
Right?! Seems important. I guess you can just toss a block under the jack. But, as you mentioned, I think it is a complete oversight. I think most people commit to the lift and never think about getting a flat, until they do.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
The Fozzie has been lifted. I will be posting full details and a long-winded version of the tutorial. But for now I have a quick update on some other accessories I installed as well.

Custom painted tow hook installed. Note the Subaru hood badge is blue. Also note that the orange trim on the under spoiler is peeling off. I hit this too hard with a power washer and I am just hating it. I think I may try to replace that piece.
Tow Hook-2.jpg

Added a carbon fiber and orange decal over the original badge. I also have one for the rear gate, but the fit was not perfect and I ruined the sticker trying to reapply it a couple times. I really do like the orange look.
Tow Hook-3.jpg

This is a Smittybilt Beaver Step. It is sold metal and very heavy. It was a bit small in the receiver so I added some rubber sheet material to prevent the free movement. It is now snug and provides a great step as well as a hook when using a tow strap. This ride is alomost ready for some off-road adventures. I have some more off-road rescue gear that I posted about awhile back, but I think I will share an update on all this gear in a couple weeks.
Beaver Step-2.jpg

LP Adventure Stainless Steel Tire Jack Extender for lifted rides.

301 - 312 of 312 Posts