Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

261 - 280 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks so much for going into such detail here. I haven’t started the mods yet but this will no doubt save me a heap of time and guesswork.

Question, I’ve got the HK system and am generally happy enough with it. All I’d love is to achieve better low frequency extension on some hip-hop tracks. Initially I was thinking of bypassing the stock sub and using its speaker level signal, adding a mono amp and building a sub box (probs 12” sealed) for the boot. But having seen your thread I wonder if I can achieve a result just switching the sub in the stock enclosure, and adding the mono amp to power it.

Do you think I’ll see say a 10hz extension with a better sub, or would this just not be achievable with an 8”?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
Thanks so much for going into such detail here. I haven’t started the mods yet but this will no doubt save me a heap of time and guesswork.

Question, I’ve got the HK system and am generally happy enough with it. All I’d love is to achieve better low frequency extension on some hip-hop tracks. Initially I was thinking of bypassing the stock sub and using its speaker level signal, adding a mono amp and building a sub box (probs 12” sealed) for the boot. But having seen your thread I wonder if I can achieve a result just switching the sub in the stock enclosure, and adding the mono amp to power it.

Do you think I’ll see say a 10hz extension with a better sub, or would this just not be achievable with an 8”?

Thanks!
Happy to help. I think the best solution woudl be to add the Cerwin vega Cargo Tire subwoofer. It has an integrated amp. You need to run power wires and splice into the rear sub wiring for signal. It would be the easiest solution with the HK system. You can do more, but cost will rise drastically and the level of work goes way up. You should be able to handle the CV option on your own for under $400. See post 242 for more details.

Post back if you end up trying it. I am really curious how it will sound with the powered HK sub. Sometimes competing subs will cancel sound instead of enhance it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah I'm mindful of that. My more reckless side says to run a 15" sub and low pass at say 50Hz, then let the HK 9" sub take over from that so there's no phase issues. Did you manage to measure where the stock HK sub rolls off at by any chance?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Some updates.. I decided to give the infinity knappa 20mx mid-range a try.. it's a 2" soft dome designed to make a 3way system. But my intention was to use it as a replacement in the dash as a mid-tweeter. WOW I tested it briefly with my infinity tweeters but it was a little too bright for what I'm looking for but still amazing... So a little modding and I had it up and running with high pass and it was so nice. Very low mid-range with highs extending better than the stock tweeters. They are a little more efficient than the fosgate door speakers 2.5ohm, but really impressive and better than the mass speakers I tested even! That's saying a lot, as those were smooth and nice. The staging is great and you would think I had a center channel. I may throw in and get a knappa 90cxs set to dial it in with a matched setup... Or possibly try a inline resistor to give it a 3db cut. Some shots of the speakers and work. For the install the plate is actually included, but I drilled out the holes and on one end cut the very end.. couple minutes to get it to fit right. To get high pass I cut out the coil and hard wired the gap to remove the bandpass.. rocking good.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm likely going to use the infinity 90csx 6*9 and test the full 3way as it was designed but I may stick with the 2" handling all highs. For now though I came up with a solution to gain some control over my front speakers... Made me some volume controls, stripped them down and shrink wrapped to bury in each pod once I set my volume to beat match what ever woofer I use. So far so good.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
Nice! Those are big controllers. im looking forward to the update. Do you have an RTA analyzer or any data to measure the frequency response of your changes. That may provide more objective measurements rather than by ear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Scott do you know if the stock (HK) sub is being fed a bandpass signal by any chance? My analyses suggests possibly a high pass at 40hz (hope I’m wrong) and I wonder what the low pass is set to.

Did replacing with the UL8 result in lower frequencies being more audible?

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
Hey Scott do you know if the stock (HK) sub is being fed a bandpass signal by any chance? My analyses suggests possibly a high pass at 40hz (hope I’m wrong) and I wonder what the low pass is set to.

Did replacing with the UL8 result in lower frequencies being more audible?
I would guess yes that the HK amp has active crossovers for all channels. It seemed like the HK sub was running bandpass from 40-100. I dont recall testing music tones at 20 hz so i cant confirm. But it was deep and low.

My Fosgate 3sixty processor is designed to reset all incoming frequencies to full range. I run the UL8 from 20hz to 80hz and it has amazing low range for an 8” sub.

Im not sure you can run different signals on that channel without a processor designed to do it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That looks tasteful. Send a full dash photo when tou can and update on SQ. I think you may have peaked the happiness meter on SQ.
Nice! Those are big controllers. im looking forward to the update. Do you have an RTA analyzer or any data to measure the frequency response of your changes. That may provide more objective measurements rather than by ear.
Came out pretty sharp.. the overall sound quality is certainly better.. I'm pretty happy now. :) I'm was torn about trying to use the Fosgate door speakers, they actually have more output on the bottom and deeper bass.. but the hit is pretty hard and a bit snappier on the nappa's and who knows how well the fosgate will work on the nappa crossover as the impedance doesn't match. The hardest part of the process was getting the extra wires from the door where I mounted the crossovers up to the dash, the real challenge is getting the wires through the rubber waterproof channel. Umm a total bear.

No controllers need in the combo set, they play very nice together.

Sorry no RTA to play with :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey just wanted to say that this whole thread has been awesome. I had been on the fence for like a year on whether I should get a 19+ fozzie, but then i found your post (and this forum) and I feel way more plugged into what badass stuff I could do with this car, so thanks.

Heres a question though: Have you given any thought to upgrading the engine? Have you seen any references on throwing a turbo on?

·
Registered
16 Posts
However, I prefer the dual exhaust so the first thing I did was take the car into the muffle shop. After inspecting the pipes, there is no room on the rear left of the car to install a split tailpipe system and run some Magnaflow mufflers. Therefore, I had the shop install a nice rolled edge chrome muffler tip and moved on. I also moved my 3 week old Duracell AGM battery into this car from the 09 Forester.
Hey Scott, know off the top of your head which Duracell battery you have or group size? I run an ARB fridge when camping and a deep cycle would be perfect. I come from 4Runner land so everything’s a tad smaller with the Forester.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
Hey Scott, know off the top of your head which Duracell battery you have or group size? I run an ARB fridge when camping and a deep cycle would be perfect. I come from 4Runner land so everything’s a tad smaller with the Forester.

Thanks!
No sorry. I can look in a couple days. But I can tell you that I used the recommended size for the 2019 Forrester. I cannot find that information easily online. I bought the battery from Sam’s Club.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #277

Thanks!
Hey just wanted to say that this whole thread has been awesome. I had been on the fence for like a year on whether I should get a 19+ fozzie, but then i found your post (and this forum) and I feel way more plugged into what badass stuff I could do with this car, so thanks.

Heres a question though: Have you given any thought to upgrading the engine? Have you seen any references on throwing a turbo on?
I am glad it was helpful thread for you.

Yes. Lots. I will start off by saying the 2019 Forrester sport is much quicker than my 2009 Forrester. It is simply not worth the cost or risk of adding on a aftermarket turbo system to a brand new car. I considered doing it in the 2009 Forrester with 100,000 miles and I needed to rebuild the motor. Even at that time I decided against it. Add on kits are not that good and very risky. They also cost around $3-5k to do it right. Cheap kits should be avoided. They will cause more headaches than performance. You are better off to drop in a Subaru turbo motor as a replacement. Again not worth doing in a brand new car.

I suggest you do some test driving between the 2019 Forrester and the 2018 Forrester XT. if you decide to go turbo buy the XT and you should be able to get a really crazy good deal if you can find a 2018 still around.

As for the 2019 Forrester the two logical upgrades for performance is to add an aftermarket intake system and an exhaust package. You can gain around 6 hp but it will come with more noise and neither kit is available right now. So you would have to build your own until something is available. Axle back mufflers like the one I have Does not add performance. You need a muffler shop to custom build some pipes for you to gain performance from the cat back. I explored and decided not to add intake or exhaust in the 2019 Forrester. I added both to my 2009 Forrester and loved the Performance gain but hated the noise level.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am glad it was helpful thread for you.

Yes. Lots. I will start off by saying the 2019 Forrester sport is much quicker than my 2009 Forrester. It is simply not worth the cost or risk of adding on a aftermarket turbo system to a brand new car. I considered doing it in the 2009 Forrester with 100,000 miles and I needed to rebuild the motor. Even at that time I decided against it. Add on kits are not that good and very risky. They also cost around $3-5k to do it right. Cheap kits should be avoided. They will cause more headaches than performance. You are better off to drop in a Subaru turbo motor as a replacement. Again not worth doing in a brand new car.

I suggest you do some test driving between the 2019 Forrester and the 2018 Forrester XT. if you decide to go turbo buy the XT and you should be able to get a really crazy good deal if you can find a 2018 still around.

As for the 2019 Forrester the two logical upgrades for performance is to add an aftermarket intake system and an exhaust package. You can gain around 6 hp but it will come with more noise and neither kit is available right now. So you would have to build your own until something is available. Axle back mufflers like the one I have Does not add performance. You need a muffler shop to custom build some pipes for you to gain performance from the cat back. I explored and decided not to add intake or exhaust in the 2019 Forrester. I added both to my 2009 Forrester and loved the Performance gain but hated the noise level.
Thanks for the advice. That makes sense for sure. I guess like everyone else I am bummed that they dropped the forester Xt so I was hoping there would be an aftermarket option.

I was also confused when I saw they are putting the ascent turbo on the 2020 outback engine to make it an XT. I’m a bit of a noob so I don’t understand why they can’t do the same thing with the forester engine. I’m assuming it’s due To space constraints. Oh well I do love how the 19 stock drives regardless so i’ll Just be patient and see what changes I can make in the future.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well they don't have a crosstrek XT because, according to the SOA president, crosstreks sell too well.

I am assuming the same may be for the forester. Here in the PNW, everywhere I drive I see a Forester. And barely anyone I see "looks" like they would be specifically in the market for a turbo or performance vehicle.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
Well they don't have a crosstrek XT because, according to the SOA president, crosstreks sell too well.

I am assuming the same may be for the forester. Here in the PNW, everywhere I drive I see a Forester. And barely anyone I see "looks" like they would be specifically in the market for a turbo or performance vehicle.
The word on the street is that the Forester XT was not that popular based on sales for the turbo in previous years.

We have to remember that the Forester is a grocery getter. That audience is the majority leader for who buys this car. Those on the forum represent the minority.

Most of us are the audience that buys the wrx/sti but we cant for whatever reason: family, pets, towing capacity, etc.

Trapped in the middle we are.

261 - 280 of 297 Posts