Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

221 - 240 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Awesome mods! You're subie is coming along nicely. I recently installed a 12" subwoofer in my '07 FXT. I may be off topic here but I'm having some trouble tuning my sub, and you seem to know what you're doing from your indepth modifications here. Would you have any tuning advice/tips to offer to someone new? Also, where do you like to go for your modifications? Any reliable retailers you'd recommend?

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Confirmed!!! Programming is set and the tire pressure readings came in after driving about 20 miles or so. I now have a plug-n-play system for changing out the summer/winter wheels.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
I installed the 4 ohm resistors and the green Starlink light in on. I do not know if the Starlink operator will be heard since there is no speaker attached after the DCM, however, I do have audio with phone and map voices, so I am hoping the Starlink operator will be heard. I will test this out at a later date.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Awesome mods! You're subie is coming along nicely. I recently installed a 12" subwoofer in my '07 FXT. I may be off topic here but I'm having some trouble tuning my sub, and you seem to know what you're doing from your indepth modifications here. Would you have any tuning advice/tips to offer to someone new? Also, where do you like to go for your modifications? Any reliable retailers you'd recommend?
Subwoofer tuning can be tricky. There are so many varibles to consider, but the most important ones are the box and the sub itself. Beleive it or not, the box build determines how the sub will sound. If that is not right, then there is not much to do. Beyond the box it is really down to setting your crossover and choosing the best spot in the vehicle. I suggest some online videos for help on this one.

As for the modz, I have a hard time trusting people with my car, so I do most of them myself. I did have the local audio shop start my build and I fired them after inspecting and redoing all of there crappy work. Plus, they scratched all four doors. I find this forum and youtube videos will point me in the right direction for all my modz.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Here is a quick update for the sound system.

I fianlly have a subwoofer dialed in. I am using the Critical Mass UL8 DVC 2 ohm sub and wired for 2 channels with mono input. So each voice coil is getting about 200 watts at 2 ohms each. I have done a ton of work to the subwoofer area which now includes full Dynamat on the box and surrounding areas. I have strategically inserted lots of foam pieces to push the panels outward about 1" to allow that massive cone to move and not hit the grille. I also dremeled some of the grille plastic to gain more clearance.

I have been walking around the car frequently, tapping the panels to target and treat rattles. All the metal panels are dead with teh exception of the rear right cargo area inside and outside panels. These rattle when tapping and are the source of vibrations when listening to the subwoofer. The biggest culprit was the gas tank door and down tube. I have treated this with Dynamat and pieces of butyl rubber to dampen those areas. It is not perfect when tapping, but no longer noticable when playing music. The rear gate and license plate are dead. The only areas that bother me now are the front and rear bumbers. These are plastic, but they are not dead like the metal panels. I think I may go back and trat those areas. I do not think they affect the inside sound performance, but I hate hearing cars rattle and vibrate on the outside. This car does not, but still when I tap on those areas, it drives me crazy, so I may have to treat those areas (I really mean my mental illness).

I have invested in some IASCA and MECA Sound Quality (SQ) audio CDs. I meet many of the criteria of high end competition systems and I am hoping to comete with this car in 2019. It really does sound amazing and I woudl like to get some expert ears in this car to judge it. I also think I can improve teh SQ with those expert opinions.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Haha. Have you survived the temptations?
The HK speakers are gone and the sub is in my hand as I'm trying to find your volume measurement for the OEM sub box. Beginning to think filling it with water and measuring will be faster than reading this thread as with 10 minutes of skimming I haven't found it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
^^^

Taking off Saturday for 10 days and realized I had a ~48 hour to receive and install a different sub so I just Dynamat-ed the OEM box and put it back in the Foz. Forgot to polyfill while I had it apart.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quick question.. in your time doing modz on your '19 forester did you ever find out what the crossover points were on the stock tweeters in the dash (6 speaker non HK)? I did the Fosgate update was only $360 for parts and installed on my own in a few hours.. WOW what a HUGE improvement.. I went from a total disappointment to one of the best OEM systems I've ever had. The kit only changed out the front crappy 6 1/2" speakers to RF 6x9's and added the 300watt amp w/ built in dsp but it's super impressive for what it is. I'm adding in the CerwinVega 12" spare tire unit (wow I heard it and it sounds awesome) and I want to upgrade the factory dash tweeters to RF as well but without knowing what frequency the cut off is right now it's making it hard to choose. The stock tweeters are just a 1" soft dome, I don't see a passive crossover in-line. Any insight would be great. Most likely I'm also going to swap in a pair of RF 6 3/4" coax speakers into the rear doors to add just a little more bump and quality but keep a similar overall tone for passengers as it's pretty weak back their w/ the stock speakers.. Ive considered separate's in the back too, but I'm thinking that would just draw my stage too far back? Anyway appreciate anyone's input.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quick question.. in your time doing modz on your '19 forester did you ever find out what the crossover points were on the stock tweeters in the dash (6 speaker non HK)? I did the Fosgate update was only $360 for parts and installed on my own in a few hours.. WOW what a HUGE improvement.. I went from a total disappointment to one of the best OEM systems I've ever had. The kit only changed out the front crappy 6 1/2" speakers to RF 6x9's and added the 300watt amp w/ built in dsp but it's super impressive for what it is. I'm adding in the CerwinVega 12" spare tire unit (wow I heard it and it sounds awesome) and I want to upgrade the factory dash tweeters to RF as well but without knowing what frequency the cut off is right now it's making it hard to choose. The stock tweeters are just a 1" soft dome, I don't see a passive crossover in-line. Any insight would be great. Most likely I'm also going to swap in a pair of RF 6 3/4" coax speakers into the rear doors to add just a little more bump and quality but keep a similar overall tone for passengers as it's pretty weak back their w/ the stock speakers.. Ive considered separate's in the back too, but I'm thinking that would just draw my stage too far back? Anyway appreciate anyone's input.
Installed the CV 12" spare tire sub tonight.. umm damn! If anyone wants bass, this is a legit way to get it, your not going to make your hair fluff up, but it's solid and worth every penny. I actually grabbed a nvx trunk sound kit and did a portion of the rear end during the install. Still going to hit other places but the wheel well is coated for now.

I snagged a amp to oem adapter for the rca out, ran the wires and golden. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CQUL240/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cerwin sub w/ a 10% off coupon was a steal

NVX sound dampening kit

Still going to do the fosgate 3.5" up front and 6.75" in the rear doors. Sorry not trying to hijack this thread but figured so much useful info here, someone is bound to be looking for some great bass w/ a smaller impact :)

Awesome job op, your car looks great and awesome write ups and detail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Scott, I've been admiring your posts for days now! I think I have exact same car (pre mods) as yours. I replaced front door speakers and dash with Infinity speakers and to my disappointment, there's nothing coming out of the tweeters. After studying some more, I realize that speaker is not getting full range of frequencies. Do you or anyone else know how to unlock the high end on the door speakers?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
Installed the CV 12" spare tire sub tonight.. umm damn! If anyone wants bass, this is a legit way to get it, your not going to make your hair fluff up, but it's solid and worth every penny. I actually grabbed a nvx trunk sound kit and did a portion of the rear end during the install. Still going to hit other places but the wheel well is coated for now.

I snagged a amp to oem adapter for the rca out, ran the wires and golden. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CQUL240/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cerwin sub w/ a 10% off coupon was a steal

NVX sound dampening kit

Still going to do the fosgate 3.5" up front and 6.75" in the rear doors. Sorry not trying to hijack this thread but figured so much useful info here, someone is bound to be looking for some great bass w/ a smaller impact :)

Awesome job op, your car looks great and awesome write ups and detail.

I've been busy for awhile and lost track of the thread. Thanks for posting your details, I appreciate it and think others will too.

The stock 3.5" HK speakers ran pretty low. I would guess around 500Hz and 3000Hz for the coaxial tweeter. I do not know where the non-HK system is set for, but it too is a coaxial, so I would guess the frequency range is the same.

I would love to see some photos of your setup if you can post. Does the CV sub have an integrated amp? Any overheating problems? What did you do about the panel and cargo tray that sit above the cargo floor. I'm sure many people are curious how you resoved this.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
Scott, I've been admiring your posts for days now! I think I have exact same car (pre mods) as yours. I replaced front door speakers and dash with Infinity speakers and to my disappointment, there's nothing coming out of the tweeters. After studying some more, I realize that speaker is not getting full range of frequencies. Do you or anyone else know how to unlock the high end on the door speakers?

Thanks
Yeah, you can't do that. The HK amp has a dedicated crossover. The stock 6x9 HK speakers are single cone woofers. They actually sound pretty good, but designed to play frequency range from about 60Hz to about 800Hz. So, if you drop in a 6x9 coaxial it won't play the frequency range for the tweeter. No way around this unless you bypass the HK amp and install a new amp with controllable crossovers.

I am actually not sure why you would want to do this. The speaker location design in this car is amazing. In order to have proper imaging and staging, it is best to run the door speakers as a midbass and the dash speakers as 300Hz and up. This will put the vocals front and center. If you run full range in the front door, you will lose the amazing staging of this car. I was originally running my door speakers at 50-16kHZ but later dialed this back to concentrate on the midbass range. I think I roll it off at 1000Hz or so.

I don't know how good of a speaker that set of Infinitys are. If they sound better than the stock HK, then you should be happy and not try to use them for higher range frequencies. If not, switch back and stock with the HK speakers or look for a dedicated midbass single cone 6x9. I also suggest you try to find one with the highest sensitivity. I think the HK is around 91-93 dB. Image dynamics and Hybrid audio makes a dedicated 6x9 single cone drive of very high quality.

Again, if the Infinity sounds great, then leave it alone. If you want to run full range in the doors, then you have to go all in. You need a signal processor and amps. The other really good choice is see if you can buy the Rockford 6x9 speaker that is used in the RF upgrade kit. You don't need the full kit or that amp. I am not sure it will even work with the HK amp setup.

Good luck. Let me know what you end up doing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah, you can't do that. The HK amp has a dedicated crossover. The stock 6x9 HK speakers are single cone woofers. They actually sound pretty good, but designed to play frequency range from about 60Hz to about 800Hz. So, if you drop in a 6x9 coaxial it won't play the frequency range for the tweeter. No way around this unless you bypass the HK amp and install a new amp with controllable crossovers.

I am actually not sure why you would want to do this. The speaker location design in this car is amazing. In order to have proper imaging and staging, it is best to run the door speakers as a midbass and the dash speakers as 300Hz and up. This will put the vocals front and center. If you run full range in the front door, you will lose the amazing staging of this car. I was originally running my door speakers at 50-16kHZ but later dialed this back to concentrate on the midbass range. I think I roll it off at 1000Hz or so.

I don't know how good of a speaker that set of Infinitys are. If they sound better than the stock HK, then you should be happy and not try to use them for higher range frequencies. If not, switch back and stock with the HK speakers or look for a dedicated midbass single cone 6x9. I also suggest you try to find one with the highest sensitivity. I think the HK is around 91-93 dB. Image dynamics and Hybrid audio makes a dedicated 6x9 single cone drive of very high quality.

Again, if the Infinity sounds great, then leave it alone. If you want to run full range in the doors, then you have to go all in. You need a signal processor and amps. The other really good choice is see if you can buy the Rockford 6x9 speaker that is used in the RF upgrade kit. You don't need the full kit or that amp. I am not sure it will even work with the HK amp setup.

Good luck. Let me know what you end up doing.
Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to return the 6x9 coaxials.....They have too much bass and I'm not sure sure they are robbing me of some mids too. I did get some infinities for the dash as well. We'll see if I stick with them after I put the original 6x9 back in and go from there. Not sure I want to do a complete overhaul of the system. I paid enough extra to get the HK system in the first place. Again..thanks...I'll keep the board posted.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to return the 6x9 coaxials.....They have too much bass and I'm not sure sure they are robbing me of some mids too. I did get some infinities for the dash as well. We'll see if I stick with them after I put the original 6x9 back in and go from there. Not sure I want to do a complete overhaul of the system. I paid enough extra to get the HK system in the first place. Again..thanks...I'll keep the board posted.
No worries at all. There is nothing wrong with the HK system at all. I was super impressed with it. If you are not willing to bypass the HK and run new amps with a DSP then it is likely not worth a change. I'm not sure it is even worth a speaker swap, because the HK speakers are very sensitive and it will be hard to find other high quality speakers with a high sensitivity that can match. I just wish the HK speakers did not use paper cones. I get lots of snow and worried about the moisture in the doors.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #239

I was discussing a similar topic on antother thread. I think this is an important topic and many people want to know how to upgrade the speakers without going all in on a new setup like I did. It is expensive and not for everyone.

What I suggested on the other thread is that if you stick with the HK amp you need very high sensitivty speakers. Try to aim for somthing around 91dB and higher. When you install the speakers only put in one and do a direct comparison to the volume level of the stock speaker. Use the balance knob to isolate one speaker at a time. If you have a SPL meter you can collect some data on the volume match.

Remember, it is not about volume, but rather sound quality. So, if you have to increase the volume knob by 5 points or so to match the same volume level then that is fine, if you are gaining performance and better sound quality. More than 10 to match the volume is likely a failure.

I really think you need to change the dash and front door speakers at the same time with the same brand of product with very similar sensitivity levels. I am just making this up, but I think it will be hard to match the sensitivity of the HK speakers so if you lose a little volume but swap out those 4 speakers then you won't have one set of speakers overpowering the other set.

I don't think you need to do an upgrade to the rear doors or subwoofer (I only say subwoofer because it is a 9 " driver and will be hard to get a direct replacement without making an adapter ring of some kind. A standard sub will likely need more power too and won't sound good if underpowered with the HK amp.).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just a thought for some, I tried way too many 3.5" speakers and none had the desired results in my setup with the fosgate update. This is likely similar power.. but I finally dropped in a set of the Infinity tweeters in the front dash and they are really outstanding and are exactly what was needed to update the sound. With the 12" spare tire sub added it's a pretty stout setup for minimal costs and really blows away the oem HK setup. I did throw a set of fosgate 2way in the rear doors but I had to put some light felt tape on them to get the output level correct as it was drawing the staging to the rear. But the midbass and mid-range was well improved over stock.

221 - 240 of 298 Posts