Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all!

I have just finished my under-the-seat amp install and thought i would share w/ you my experience.

First I have a 2010 forester X premium.

I don't have a lot of pictures yet, I finished kind of late last night, but I will post more.

The equipment:

Phoenix Gold 4x75 amp
Boss600 powered sub
Stock Head Unit - No Nav

Wiring:
street wires zero noise (highly recommend these) 4channel 5M which way too long for under the seat I'd say 3M should be fine.

I also have an aux out of the PG amp which will feed the Boss, I used a ZeroNose 1M which ironically was too short.

Line Out Converter:
David Navone 4 channel line out converter

Harness:
I struggled with this part so I thought I should mention it. If you're reading this then you probably know that the forester from '09 switched to a 20pin harness. I started by calling crutchfield, and they said they did not carry the part. He gave me the number to Metra and they suggested a harness and reverse harness part number to use, as well as a site, Installer.com, to order the parts. I guess I should have done more research b/c the harness they suggested is NOT fully pinned. After more research I found what I needed and proceeded to call installer.com and cancel my order. The gentlemen on the phone immediately knew what i was trying to do and cofirmed that the harnesses Metra told me to use would not work! But he knew the one that would. Long story short, make sure if you are using a harness either go through this site or call them. I can't post the link b/c I'm new but here is the part number: QCNIS-2

The Install:
There are numerous install walk thoughs that are here and other places that I followed so I won't post the particulars. I ended up installing the amp under the seat on to a wood bracket i made that lifted the amp off 2" the ground, which will hopefully protect it from most things and allow the hvac vents to pass under the amp. The bracket is just mdf blocks on a piece of 1/4" ply attached to the floor w/ velcro and the amp is attached to the wood also by velcro. I did NOT unplug the seats, which made it cumbersome to work but not impossible. Oh I almost forgot! If you look at the pics. You can see my LOC came w/ some loose connections. That was very annoying. I will let you know how David Navone handles that situation.

Impressions:
Well stock head unit, stock speakers and stock tweeter and the boss600 amp. Fantastic! The stock speakers can sound really nice when you push enough power to them.

Next:
Component 6.5 in the front and dynamat the doors I will be using the Hybrid Audio technology Imagine series for the front components. coax in the back, not sure who yet. Suggestions?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update!

Not good, i'm back to stock right now.

I decided that my amp was too big to go under the chair and decided to move the 4 channel in to the trunk. Running the wires and everything else was no problem, just time consuming. The big problem was the navone engineered LOC. As you can see from my first post the harness' connectors fell out of the crimped pins. I called and got a replacement, but after testing the amp, found out it did the same thing again. Very frustrating. Luckily I live close to parts express and got a replacement.

Other lessons learned, when taking out the back seat don't run anything on top of the metal bracket in the middle. go under thats why its there. I didn't (b/c it was late and i was tired) and i lost some fuses b/c of that and a lot of time.

Also seat bolts...be very careful and sure how they are going in there, it is very easy to cross thread them, i think they are tapered at the bottom.

Finally, I will install the revamped harness tonight and test the leads again. then i will use my hot wire to cut some nice grooves in the rear trunk compartment tray where my amp sits in order to get everything flush. and if I have time I'll switch out the rear door speakers as well.

Hopefully I'll have some pictures to show.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
You have the beginnings of a good write-up. Keep it going and don't forget to add more pictures. :biggrin:

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,405 Posts
Nice start on your Member Journal. :cool:

In my experience, not all MODs install without some problems. I'm looking forward to seeling how your project turns out. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
very nice writeup, just an FYI I have to give props to SVXcd (member on here) as he's the one to go to for all Subaru harnesses and wiring questions so if you need a quality harness in the future I would definitely recommend him.

Now get some pics up

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the kind words. Everyone here has been very helpful and informative with everything concerning this mod so far.

I went into this mod with the utmost confidence, plus this is like the 50th time I've done this exact thing in other cars. But I can recall on each of those 50 times something, I was not expecting happened.

But you drop your guard for one second...boom...mistake. Something I left out of that updated post. Pulled the amp out from under the seat, nonchalantly taking it out of the car, boom scratch the door with the amp. AAAAARRRGHH!

I'll puts some pics up soon. I will say that its not some crazy custom fiber glass job. I dropped the amp in the storage tray above the spare and it fit. So that's where its going. I may have overheating issues, but i have some plans for that if it comes to that point.

When its all said and done, you won't notice any thing different. But it will sound totally different!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I added the rear speakers, they sound ok, but they are hard to hear b/c the stocks are still in the front. I'll update those soon. As soon as i get some time. Some drama but its all good now. I have the details of the install on the Electronics / Interior section of the forum.

Also I added the harness, so I'm back to using the amps. Yay, for using a reverse harness, it allows me go back to stock in case something goes crazy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ha, well since I can't say that. I'll say this, money and time to research. Most of the equipment I had listed w/ the exception of the boss, and the LOC I already had. So it seemed like an easy, "I'll just get a harness, various wires, and I'm done."

That being said, I'll get a HU eventually, I just wanted to do this to get me over the crappy stock stereo sound, while I do some research and save some cheddar. My previous car was an S2000, I was all about performance for awhile, so I been getting back into ICE. The way I see it I will have this car for a long time, no need to rush in and start changing things right away.

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,118 Posts
You just won me back with saying your previous car was an S2000! :Banane08:
Really though, you can get a really nice deck for less than $200 these days. Single din usually, but they look okay with an install kit. I almost went with the Alpine CDA-105 which is only $179.99 from Sonicelectronix.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup AP1 silver w/ red leather, it was a pure driving.

Image014.jpg

Sigh....anyway, I'll check out the head units, I was thinking double din, but one of the reasons I did this first is, i'd have to run all these wires anyway, so when i do get the HU, I won't have to mess w/ anything. That and maybe the wife won't notice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Update: Pics

Well I have some pics finally! I apologize for the blurriness of the pictures, they didn't seem that way this morning when i took them. I must have had the camera set in bigfoot mode!

IMG_4748.jpg
this is the remote amp gain for the sub. You can't see it when you drive, and has a nice blue led which matches the existing one in this part of the console.

IMG_4750.jpg

IMG_4753.jpg

these images are the boss under the driver seat. I'm not smart enough to figure out how to get a better picture of it. but I'm trying to illustrate how much room is under the seat. Plus the fact i put it on a 2.5" riser to still allow the vents under seat to pass though. During normal operation I use some black automotive carpet to conceal the amp.

IMG_4756.jpg
Trunk w/ cover

IMG_4757.jpg
Amp in compartment. Seemed like it was made for this amp. Cut some slits in the side of the foam w/ my hot wire to allow wires to sit nice. I was (and to some degree still am) concerned about over heating. The amp sits pretty closed off and covered. Plus the stock head unit doesn't have a remote turn on. So its on w/ accessories. However...I just made a 4 hour trip to cleveland and back w/o incident. I checked it when I stopped and it was hot, but it still works.

I may just hook a switch to the remote lead to the back so i can control it until i get a replacement head unit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ha, I don't remember, I'll take a look, I'll be back there wiring up a rear view camera anyway. Take some pics. I think I took my volt meter back there and tested some bolts and just found one that worked. I will take a picture and post it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update:

BOSS sub is dead. It died maybe w/in 4 months of owning it. Haven't replaced it yet. There aren't really a lot to choose from in this category. There are a few that are out there, that would have questionable quality, as they look like the Boss sub rebranded. I think the sound ordanance from crutchfield is a good choice for the price. The top of the food chain has got to be the focal, but never heard it, nor do i know any one shelling out that kind of money for a sub like that. There is another company I saw when I was at CES in 2011, called ground zero. Of course they are not in the US, so I can't easily get it. But here is a link anyway for others.

Moving on, New HU finally installed. It is a pioneer 2400bt dvd. It was strange one day the new head units were in, all the 2300's where gone, where did they go?

Anyway I recommend Electronic Express, its about 100 bucks cheaper than anywhere else, and pioneer has them listed on their site as a official online retailer.

Next are the head rests. Bought the 9" in black leather w/ zippers, I"m pretty impressed so far ( though its only been 2 days ), it does everything it says it does, and even though the headrests are leather and the interior is fabric, it matches really well. Wife didn't even notice I switched them out.

Finally, rear view camera. First was the Koolertron, it is 13 bucks from amazon and it lasted all of 10 minutes. Worst part is I can't return it b/c I ran all the wire, and I am not taking it out! That was almost 3 hours of running wire! So I just wrote it off and bought the pyle. Hopefully it will work better.

A few Words on cameras:

TEST THEM before the install. I bought some alligator clips for this one just so I could do it. Running wire from the rear plate, up through the paneling to the gate was difficult and awkward. So best to make sure the product arrived safely and is working before putting it in.

Second, the reviews in general are all over the board, so I guess you have to hope you get a good one.

Finally, CCD vs CMOS. Before purchasing I read many write ups preaching CCD, and to avoid CMOS. Having looked around at side by side video, and price comparison, the real question is, does the picture quality of a CCD camera justify paying 3x more than a CMOS, I didn't think so.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Front speakers

I have put in upgraded 6.5" in the front, and dynamatted' the door.

I purchased some MB Quart components, and everything is fine except they use Aluminum dome tweeters. BRIGHT BRIGHT BRIGHT. I well eventually take them off and wire the stock door tweeters back in.

I like the sound with dynamat, and the door feels more solid. But I do NOT like the speakers. I needed to cut out a spacer to get the speaker to fit b/c the basket was bigger than the hole of the stock speakers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rear camera Updated

Well I have my new rear view camera installed, and it works which is great!

Brown yellow wire FTW! Its so helpful that everyone here knows so much about the car. I ran the reverse lead along the door side and up under the glove compartment, I didn't have to take any panels off to do that and took off the inner panels in the trunk to reveal the harness from the brake lights. In the mess of wires I saw 1 Brown / Yellow lead, so I tapped it and BOOM, worked on the first try!

Thanks everyone.

Also I think if you are getting a rear view camera, be sure to tape the connections together, They were coming apart causing my camera to go out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts