Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited CVT
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Muti-Function Display - Journey Duration?

I've had my 2014 Forester 2.5l with multi-function display for almost 3 months.

I keep my mfd on the the triple meter screen with these 3 items displayed: oil temp, miles driven & avg. mpg.

Today when stopping at a red light, the mfd screen automatically changed to read:
Journey Duration
2:00

It then changed right back to the triple meter screen. My trip today was 6 hours & this only happened once.

This never happened before ... any ideas what caused this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
109 Posts
That's working as designed. It will hourly alert you to your journey time. If you shut down your car it resets the timer. There is a gentle beep with each journey duration alert and it only stays on the screen for a few seconds so it can be easy to miss if you have the music playing.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Yeah, it is supposed to do that.

It does it hourly starting at 2 hours and will remind you so you do not drive longer than you should without resting... but it restarts when you stop for gas (if you shut the car off like you should), so I have never seen over 3-4 hours on road trips.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That's working as designed. It will hourly alert you to your journey time. If you shut down your car it resets the timer. There is a gentle beep with each journey duration alert and it only stays on the screen for a few seconds so it can be easy to miss if you have the music playing.
I realize the original post goes back several months, but I have a couple of questions on the same topic:

1. Any way to extend the duration of the visual alert? It flashes by way too fast for me.

2. If duration can't be extended, can the alert be disabled? I'd prefer no alert to one that I can't read.

Haven't been on this site for several years. Just said goodbye to my reliable old friend ('06 Forester) and bought a 2015. Still getting familiar with my new Subie, but already love being able to go over 400 miles on a tank of gas!

Thanks,

Marty
Amarillo, TX

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
I don't think you can extend the time it is displayed for, @Marty.

I do believe there is an option to disable it somewhere buried in the MFD settings. Check the MFD section of the owners manual... starts somewhere around 3-60 if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't think you can extend the time it is displayed for, @Marty.

I do believe there is an option to disable it somewhere buried in the MFD settings. Check the MFD section of the owners manual... starts somewhere around 3-60 if I recall correctly.
Thanks GeoJosh. I've read Chapter 3 forwards and backwards. Looks like you are right about extending the display time ... can't be done. The display will be for "a few seconds" (3-39).

Looks like ALL beeps can be turned off (3-58), but it's all or none, not selective.

So, a work-around: I'll set the Triple Meter screen to include E/T. If the Journey Time screen vanishes before I can read it, I'll check E/T on the triple meter to confirm that the mystery beep was simply counting off another hour. I'd like to be able to select what events are "beep worthy", but this is no big deal.

Subie has put in beaucoup electronics since my '06!

Marty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts