Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5 Limited CVT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my new 2014 Forester last Friday and I am not sure the Multi Function Display is working properly. The fuel tank was filled and the display was showing 450 miles to go as the range. I drove the car for quite a while and the display of 450 did not change until it went to 440. The display only changed in 10 mile increments. 450 to 440 to 430 to 420.....Once the display reached 370 it stopped updating. I have driven over 100 miles and it has stayed at 370 the whole time. I called the dealer and they said that was normal. Doesn't sound right to me. We have a Mazda3 where the display goes down in 1 mile increments as you drive. That is what I would think would be normal. Can anybody shed some light on this?

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I suspect the 10-mile increment was chosen on purpose to minimize the possible distraction of a frequently changing display. The DTE value is the product of recent average fuel economy (last 19 miles; ref 2014 OM page 3-41) and remaining fuel in the tank. Considering that both variables are estimates, a single-mile resolution is of no real value, IMHO, and the possible distraction of a rapidly changing display -- both up and down -- is avoided.

It's possible that thr resolution and/or update frequency may change as the tank nears empty. That's speculation on my part, but that seems to be how the DTE display on "my wife's car" works.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not think the 10 mile increments were normal because the owners manual shows 292 on their examples. Also, the display has not moved from 370 miles in over a 100 miles of driving.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Increments of 10 miles (or 20 km) may be standard; you'll need other 2014 owners to weigh in.

Subaru's owner manuals are not perfect. In this case, I suspect the graphics in the manual may be artists' conceptions and not screen shots.

"Stuck" on 370 may not be common or seem to make sence, but it's not impossible if the AFE got off to a bad start (cold engine, urban) and then rapidly improved (warm engine, hwy). I've seen my wife's car's DTE display increase by >100 miles after emptying the tank in town and then hitting the highway with a full tank.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Follow up

Thanks for the help. After driving 120 miles with the display stuck at 370 miles, it started going down again. It went down to 340 miles in 5 miles of driving. It appears that this may be just the way it works. Although this doesn't seem like a feature that is very useful or something you can rely on...Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester Cvt
195 Posts
Thanks for the help. After driving 120 miles with the display stuck at 370 miles, it started going down again. It went down to 340 miles in 5 miles of driving. It appears that this may be just the way it works. Although this doesn't seem like a feature that is very useful or something you can rely on...Thanks again.
Here is how I see mine work. Let's say the last average mileage was city driving and you were getting 24 mpg. You now fill the gas tank up and the computer uses the 24 mpg to give you an average of 380.( 24x15.9=381.6) , rounded off to 380,that is mpg x fuel in the tank. Now let's say your next driving is done on the freeway and your mpg jumps to 35 mpg. After about 20 mile the computer will re-adjust to say like 420 etc. ,it seems to change with your driving style.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2011 Touring 4EAT
307 Posts
On a 2005 Malibu I had you could reset the mileage which in turn would reset the calculation. This type of display works well when you're doing long distance driving at consistent speeds. That's also when it can be most helpful.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited CVT
252 Posts
I also found it interesting that mine started at 380 ish on a full tank of gas and actually increased up to 420 while driving before it started dropping again. I got 406 miles from that tank of gas. Yes it goes down in 10 mile increments until you get down to about 20 then it just goes blank "---" I really wish it had better resolution It would be nice to have the computer's idea of how far I have left before running out in the the 0-20 mile range but. I try to not ever get that low on fuel but if I was it would surely be info i would really value having.

Nick

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester Cvt
195 Posts
I also found it interesting that mine started at 380 ish on a full tank of gas and actually increased up to 420 while driving before it started dropping again. I got 406 miles from that tank of gas. Yes it goes down in 10 mile increments until you get down to about 20 then it just goes blank "---" I really wish it had better resolution It would be nice to have the computer's idea of how far I have left before running out in the the 0-20 mile range but. I try to not ever get that low on fuel but if I was it would surely be info i would really value having.

Nick
Remember that the gasoline cools the fuel pump. If you keep running below a 1/4 tank you will some day be paying big bucks for a replacement pump.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited CVT
252 Posts
Remember that the gasoline cools the fuel pump. If you keep running below a 1/4 tank you will some day be paying big bucks for a replacement pump.

yep... been down that road before. That's why I try not to run too low on fuel.
Failed in tank fuel pump on a previous vehicle that required dropping the exhaust system and gas tank to replace. Pump was about $150 labor was around $650... Big job. OUCH!

Nick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts