Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2001 forester
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i was wondering if anyone could reccomend a muffler like the 60 series flowmaster or a magnaflow of some sort that i could weld on my SF5 2.5L NA forester. Thanks for all of your reccomendations!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,733 Posts
I'd recommend a Magnaflow muffler. We have one on both our Foresters & even one on the '95 Neon Sport. :cool: I'm sure the Flowmaster would be nice, but might be a bit louder than you want. :wink:

You can view my installation write up starting here & the sound clip is here. :biggrin:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2001 forester
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the stromung catback was also a very high option, im just wondering if there was any other paths i could take to get a nice rumble with out sounding excessively loud

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,412 Posts
I installed a Borla header on a kids car with a Magnaflow axle-back. Sounds really nice, but not as loud as mine. It's louder than stock, but not 2¼"dia cat-back with Borla loud!!!:rock:

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
Magnaflow FTW. If I can ever get ours freed-up for a day's trip to the muffler shop, that's what will happen.

Stromung is the bolt-on solution, but they are expensive. I think the shop-made Magnaflow solution gets you to the same place for half the price.

·
Registered
2014 Impreza Touring Hatchback, CVT
366 Posts
I went to a muffler shop the other day and they told me it would look awful if I just replaced the muffler. They said because of the factory inlet/outlet locations the muffler wouldn't sit flat and would be at a weird angle. Any truth to that?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I went to a muffler shop the other day and they told me it would look awful if I just replaced the muffler. They said because of the factory inlet/outlet locations the muffler wouldn't sit flat and would be at a weird angle. Any truth to that?
Not sure about an '07 but for an SF that is false. The Magnaflow I have,like Bobby's, fits perfectly. You have to find the right size and the correct position of the inlet/outlet.

·
Registered
2014 Impreza Touring Hatchback, CVT
366 Posts
I had a look at it this morning and it looks like it's offset input and centre output. I didn't look to see if the input/output are at the same height. Perhaps that's what he meant. The factory muffler seems square and not oval so if it's going in on the high side and out in the middle the muffler may have to be on a slope. I'll have another look at things. And what is the factory pipe size?

·
Registered
2001 Forester STi 6spd with MapDCCD and 535hp
4,709 Posts
My SF5 setup

-Intake
-Boral UEL headers
-Magnaflow Highflow cat
-2.5" non-resonated midpipe
-2005 STi OEM axleback.

Its quite refined and subtle, yet has an awsome edge to it when on the gas. Doesnt pull half bad either for N/A

·
Administrator
41,733 Posts
If you looks over my installation write up, which you can view here, you can see the Magnaflow muffler fits perfectly. Perhaps the shop you went to was going to use a different style Magnaflow muffler? You could have then look over my installation, which has the muffler part number & it would show them how easily it can be installed. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
459 Posts
Another option is the Borla pro muffler, thats what I've got on my N/A. Great sound, one of the best flowing mufflers for the money, and small(ish). Just be aware that when you start opening up the exhaust with a stock/EL manifold it will be somewhat raspy as the rpm's climb. And unless the shop doesn't know what they're doing, I can't imagine why it wouldn't line up properly. And even if that was the case, they should be able to alter the pipe angles and make it work.

·
Administrator
41,733 Posts
Make sure you "hear" what it sound like before deciding on it. Others have gone with mufflers other then a Magnaflow (for a custom weld on) & found the sound to be way too harsh & loud. :frown:

Bobby...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts