Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester S
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys im lookin for a muffler for my 2000 n/a i dont want to spend alot just sumthin that will sound great...a little bit on the loud side

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,296 Posts
guys im lookin for a muffler for my 2000 n/a i dont want to spend alot just sumthin that will sound great...a little bit on the loud side
check around the NA section. there's quite a few muffler threads. general concensus is stromung (kinda pricey), magnaflow, or just stick on a sti muffler. turboxs is also an option. all need some modding, except the stromung. if you want the boxer rumble, this is what these headers are for.

moore performance on nasioc is also trying to fab up to NA exhausts by this weekend. but they're like $400 ish.

·
Registered
Forester-less :(
471 Posts
I have a stock STI muffler on my 01 NA that sounds great. I would in no way call it silent. It actually has a decent boxer rumble to it now. Before the STI muffler was installed it was a borla header to my stock exhaust. Really quiet without the STI muffler. I think the combination of the header with STI midpipe back is a great combo. And all under $200 is pretty cheap for a some subie sound.

·
Registered
2000 Forester S
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea ur right if you compare it to a stock impreza muffler...i was around them so much with after market exhausts that the stock muffler was silent to my ear

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,296 Posts
i would consider sti muffler quiet compared to aftermarket stuff. stromung isn't that quiet, but it isn't really loud either. how loud are you looking to get?

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
I have a 2.25" Magnaflow on my Outback, and I like it a lot. My only gripe is that it is LOUD on cold startups. Not quite straight-pipe loud, but just too loud. I fire it and immediately tap the pedal to kick it down to a lower idle to keep from waking my parents/sister up.

Once it warms up though, it is really deep and quiet at idle, but still gets loud when you're on it (perfect combination). Mine is non-resonated, and I don't have any drone or rasp, but I do get those delightful little backfires when I downshift. :biggrin:

My guess is that the fibers in the muffler don't work well when cold.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
I have a 2.25" Magnaflow on my Outback, and I like it a lot. My only gripe is that it is LOUD on cold startups. Not quite straight-pipe loud, but just too loud. I fire it and immediately tap the pedal to kick it down to a lower idle to keep from waking my parents/sister up.

Once it warms up though, it is really deep and quiet at idle, but still gets loud when you're on it (perfect combination). Mine is non-resonated, and I don't have any drone or rasp, but I do get those delightful little backfires when I downshift. :biggrin:

I think that'll happen on cold starts with any aftermarket exhaust really. The Magnaflows on my LGT are the same way, as was my full Stromung header back on the SF

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts

Magnaflow is the best for subarus imo, turbo or N/A. They get the burble just right, and the change in tone when you get on it is great. They're the same can that turboXS uses on the "quiet" axlebacks.

·
Registered
2004 Forester X
24 Posts
I used a Magnaflow 12225 5x8 oval 2.25 side inlet 2.25 center outlet $137.00 with a magna flo 3" single wall tip 35131 $47.00. installed last saturday $348.00 out the door. Nice deep exhaust note. Now i'm looking into installing the Borla/Borla Replica Headers to get the boxer rumble.

I can email you picture if you want. I havent hit 15 posts, so i cant to host a picture.

Not to high jack, But has Anyone install the headers on a 04 2.5x 4EAT? Did a search but most of the memebers installed of SF's.

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
I'd like a pic. I've been meaning to do this to ours for months but it's never motionless long enough. Did you have someone weld it up for you or were you able to configure an installation (hangers, etc) yourself?

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
5,088 Posts
I have been looking for the same thing for a couple of years. There are many mufflers (axlebacks) made for the XT but none for the NA. For the NA I think you have to buy a MagnaFlow muffler, take it to a good exhaust shop, and have them make up the piping to install it. But I don't want a cobbled-up system on my newish car, as I have had those before on my truck and they don't last very long. I will be interested to see what you do.

·
Registered
2000 Forester S
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm gunna do the magnaflow with the 4" tip..- have a great exhaust shop that does the many exhausts I put on my truck...I'm gunna have him fab a pipe so it bolts on to the stock flange so I can go back to stock if necessary

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
5,088 Posts
I'm gunna do the magnaflow with the 4" tip..- have a great exhaust shop that does the many exhausts I put on my truck...I'm gunna have him fab a pipe so it bolts on to the stock flange so I can go back to stock if necessary
My truck went through many exhausts, too. The muffler shop would take their muffler and pipe pieces, weld them up, then weld some hangers on the muffler. Something would rattle or leak or break in a year or two, but it didn't matter because of the shop's lifetime guarantee.
But I don't want to do this with my 2008 Forester, yet. I just wish MadDad would make a Whisperback that bolted right onto the NA.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts